Filter - Date based longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I tried a searches based on filter longevity and deterioration but could not find an answer:

I have several vehicles that I properly store for long periods and then drive for short periods (under a month driving and just a 1000 miles or so). Since I never get to the recommended OCI, I change the oil using an extractor on a yearly schedule in order for additives to be fresh. I spend about $100 dollars on filters and the effort of changing a bunch of filters. It would be great to just extract old oil and fill with new oil and done. I am not concerned about the small amount of oil in the filter. I am thinking the filter material likely does not deteriorate much based on date and the filter should still perform well since it has not deteriorated through "filtering". I have read that the rubber seal will deteriorate but no idea how long that will take.

So my question is with low mileage vehicles will the filter last 1,2 3,4, or 5 years?

Gordon

Provi, nice information!

To the OP, FWIW, Fram considers old stock of 8 years or more to be shipped back to them. I would say that is a conservative estimate based on their part, so call it a nice round 10 years.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
...Fram considers old stock of 8 years or more to be shipped back to them. I would say that is a conservative estimate based on their part, so call it a nice round 10 years.

Thanks for the response, however, I think Fram is considering returned stock to be unused. On the shelf it should last 10 years but I am thinking installed life with oil in the filter. The paper element, spring at some point probably breaks down but I have read that the rubber seal deteriorates first so am wondering how long before the filter expires.

G.

Last edited:
Jim Allen spent some time on a professional tour at the Fram engineering lab for a filter article he wrote; he writes automotive tech articles and is published in many different magazines, etc.

He has commented here that any typical Fram filter can easily go 3 years. Four years was a "probably OK" indication. The "tooth sucking" answer started to get "iffy" around 5 years. It's not that a 5 year filter is an assured failure, but they would not be willing to assure it's not a risk. And that is for cellulose based products. Conceivably a full syn media would last longer. However, one also has to consider the potential for rust on components as well as adhesive degradation.

Of course, heat cycling plays into this. A filter is not nearly as affected by the calendar as it is the hot/cold cycles of use, etc. But if you're running limited use, that's not a big issue.

I'd say 5 years is a good hard limit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Jim Allen spent some time on a professional tour at the Fram engineering lab for a filter article ...He has commented here that any typical Fram filter can easily go 3 years... I'd say 5 years is a good hard limit.

Thanks for your response. These vehicles are stored in a heated garage and are used only on warm sunny days so I feel confident I can try 4 years and see how that goes.

Gordon.

Provi, nice information!

To the OP, FWIW, Fram considers old stock of 8 years or more to be shipped back to them. I would say that is a conservative estimate based on their part, so call it a nice round 10 years.

Found my video.

http://youtu.be/kVH7Tev43cQ

Originally Posted By: Provi
I cut open a 40 year old FISK off a 350SBC, paper and glue was fine. The oil was loaded in gas too.

So are you going to tease us with this or or show it cut open?

I am sure the manufacture might have a spec if you ask them. So much of it depends on the environment it is stored and used I'm.

Originally Posted By: Provi
Provi, nice information!

Found my video.

http://youtu.be/kVH7Tev43cQ

The media was definitely compromised by how easily it tore apart. But have to say I'm surprised it wasn't worse for a filter that had oil in it for 40 years.
shocked.gif

Very interesting video. I am surprised the cardboard filter was not mush. At one point it looks like you pull a stick out of the filter or was that a part of the filter. How would a stick get in there. I have heard that the rubber seal is the first thing that deteriorates and wonder what condition that seal was in?

Very interesting video. I am surprised the cardboard filter was not mush. Perhaps 40 years ago the oil had less additives so less prone to breakdown. At one point it looks like you pull a stick out of the filter or was that a part of the filter. How would a stick get in there. I have heard that the rubber seal is the first thing that deteriorates and wonder what condition that seal was in?

Gordon,
I work for FRAM. I too have several vehicles I store all winter. the best filter to use for long term longevity is FRAQM Ultra. The media is fully synthetic and the adbv is silicone. they will both be on this earth longer than you and I. Inexpensive plain paper filters will likely (but maybe not) deteriorate in 3-5 yrs and the rubber adbv will turn into a brick in a 2-3 yrs.
Best to use a top quality synthetic media filter for your applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back