B-12 Chemtool and Restore CSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
There is some evidence here that Restore is hard on or clogs filters FYI. But it does seem to help engines on their last legs. Not sure it is intended for or will work as well long term. Let us know how it goes!

After reading your comment I did a little searching and found the thread with the guy that used 2 cans of restore along with mos2, his filter looked clogged and slimy. I got scared and went ahead and did an OC, first time I've ever taken a filter apart, it was a napa silver. I thought it looked absolutely fine, no clogging and no sludgy slime, it looked like any other clean 3.5 k filter I've seen on bitog. I think the guy with the clogged filter may have overdone it with 2 treatments of restore and a dosing of mos2. Needless to say, I put 1000 miles on the restore with basically no consumption.

I'll post a pic if anyone would be interested. I'm going to need to take it with the fiancées iphone. I tried to with my phone but the pic came out horrible.

Last edited:
^ meant to say very minimal consumption. I not sure 1/32-1/16" below full is even a reliable measurement.

Oh and I re-dosed with another 6cyl can of restore since everything looked good. They've changed the amount, it was 15 ounces after their bottle change its down to 12.5 ounces.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fordranger03
There is some evidence here that Restore is hard on or clogs filters FYI. But it does seem to help engines on their last legs. Not sure it is intended for or will work as well long term. Let us know how it goes!

After reading your comment I did a little searching and found the thread with the guy that used 2 cans of restore along with mos2, his filter looked clogged and slimy. I got scared and went ahead and did an OC, first time I've ever taken a filter apart, it was a napa silver. I thought it looked absolutely fine, no clogging and no sludgy slime, it looked like any other clean 3.5 k filter I've seen on bitog. I think the guy with the clogged filter may have overdone it with 2 treatments of restore and a dosing of mos2. Needless to say, I put 1000 miles on the restore with basically no consumption.

I'll post a pic if anyone would be interested. I'm going to need to take it with the fiancées iphone. I tried to with my phone but the pic came out horrible.

With two doses of Restore and a dose of MoS2, what did the guy expect to find in his filter? Restore is a good product for keeping a beater out of the junkyard a little longer. The product works as advertised in many applications on their last legs. A few important things to consider:

1. Don't use it in a healthy engine.
2. Use it as directed.
3. An engine ready for the junkyard is what it is. Don't expect miracles, however you might be pleasantly surprised.

Good to know, thanks! Any pics by chance?

Status update.

When I had first started this I used some old Castrol GTX 5W-30 that I had laying around in the basement. Why? Because at the time, the weather was still rather cold and I was controllably using the car so it wasn't a concern. Now that it's getting warmer and of course I do a lot of highway driving, so I didn't want to leave an old technology 30 weight oil in the car. Because it looked like consumption and noise was kicked I decided to go with Chevron Delo 5W40.

I drained the oil, and pulled the center pin on the cartridge filter to let the oil in there drain out, and then refilled back with the Chevron oil. Engine was nice and smooth and economy was good all is well. Yesterday I drove the car to and from work like multiple other times when Ive used the car since replacing the oil. Today after only sitting maybe 12 hours, with mid 60s temperature (but colder overnight), this morning I heard the faintest tick from my engine.

I've been very careful to listen closely for any noises ever since I did the experiment. I've never heard anything to indicate that there was any basis for the car ticking anymore. Including in warmer and colder weather.

So I'll need to watch this closely and see what happens especially if I hear noises in warmer weather. It will be interesting. Obviously all of the restore CSL was mainly drained out when I replaced the Castrol oil with the Chevron oil. So if I hear ticking again occurring my plan is to add in the correct amount of restore.

The restore product is widely used on jeep forums to quiet noisy lifters so I imagine that is indeed what is doing the job right now.

After reading your comment I did a little searching and found the thread with the guy that used 2 cans of restore along with mos2, his filter looked clogged and slimy.

Yep, that was me. My truck has 11k miles on it since I first started using Restore. She's running as well as she ever has.

I'm not 100% sure about the cause of my "slimey" filter. That old 350 was pretty sludged up when I bought it. So, it could have still been sludge coming out of her.

I recently changed the oil and added another dose of Restore. Consumption is still tame compared to what it used to be. Engine runs and idles better than it ever has. I still like to remove my plugs and clean them every 3-5k miles....All that Restore and oil burning can sure foul up a plug and make an old truck run a bit rough.

But I'm pleased with Restore!!

As an update on my restore experiment. I did an early oil change thinking restore may have clogged my filter. I found it had not so used restore once again on the latest oil change. 750 miles into this new oci with restore and I am down half a quart.

I was hoping I had found a solution to my consumption problem. the restore worked on the tail end of the prior oci but for some reason the consumption has returned. Any ideas? High mileage oils do not help and the PCV is fairly new.

Probably your only option left is to go thicker. Some HM oils are not thicker at all. Which one were you using? You could go up a grade and see what happens.

Probably your only option left is to go thicker. Some HM oils are not thicker at all. Which one were you using? You could go up a grade and see what happens.

I've stepped up to 10w30 two up from the factory 5w20. I've tried 20wt maxlife, 30wt gtx hm and most recently 30wt napa hm.

I may try 10w40 maxlife or a conventional 10w30 with liqui moly motor oil saver. Which would you go with next?

Defy and Pennzoil are both "thick" HM brews. So they might be a good choice in 10w30 or 10w40, or Maxlife 10w40. But if you are already up to 10w30's from 5w20 I'm not optimistic.

dino 20w 50 or straight 30. Restore is for selling a beat up engine to a rube. My wife bought a Grand Wagoneer at a yard sale. The engine was clattery, . I drained the oil and put 10w30 back in. It sounded like shaking a can with marbles in it. I eventually had the re-manned engine in my 83 swapped into it. The engine ran with no oil pressure until the cam wore down enough to start spitting out push rods

Not familiar with this engine, but I know the 1ZZ-FE in 8th gen Corollas was built with pistons with too few (and/or too small) oil return holes. Eventually, they clod and you get consumption as the oil can't flow through the clogged return holes and, instead, slips past the rings and burns off.

In this instance, going thicker makes the issue worse, since even less oil can pass through the holes, and the solution is to go thinner (and it's been commonly found that, in these instances, if going thinner slows consumption, it continues slowing as the newfound oil flow clears out the clogged holes over time, until it eventually stops).

Again, I'm not familiar with this engine, I'm just throwing this information out there, as I've had this issue with 2 1ZZ's and neither required a teardown to fix, just thinner oil for a couple OCIs. My 2000 is back to consuming, but then I'm running a 40 in it (some of you have seen the thread and know why). It was quite happy on a 0w20 for a while, though, consumption had fallen to almost nil.

Try thicker first, of course; but if that doesn't help, or makes it worse, go down a grade, or blend 50/50 with a lighter grade, to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back