Pennzoil Multi Vehicle ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up 5 quarts on $1.50 clearance at my local hardware store with dates ranging from late 2009 to late 2011.

I usually go for dedicated Mercon V but this fluid appears to be very similar.

I'll use the oldest quart for a power steering refresh.

What do you think of the shelf life for the 2010 and 2011 bottles?

Any feeling of compatibility for a Mercon V application?

Supposedly SOPUS is putting 5-year timelines on their new bottles, so even with that, your 2010-11 bottles are still good and have plenty of life left.

It is perfectly fine in a Mercon V application. You really can't go wrong with any brand-name multi ATF.

Is this what you picked up?
Pennzoil Multi ATF

Originally Posted By: Sam2000
I picked up 5 quarts on $1.50 clearance at my local hardware store with dates ranging from late 2009 to late 2011.

Long as you do not use it in a Honda or one of them New Tranmissions that are require FORD Mercon LV.

I wouldn't be concerned. I never believed there is a shelf life if stored correctly. I have used 20 year old Dexron 2 in my old Mercury and the tranny still shifts great. I am currently using 10 year old oil in the engine as well. I never had much faith in "universal" transmission fluids however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: Sam2000

Long as you do not use it in a Honda or one of them New Tranmissions that are require FORD Mercon LV.

Yes, only recommended Honda ATF is Maxlife, Castrol multi, Amsoil, RL-D6, DW-1

The Pennzoil MV ATF is supposedly good in Honda's requiring Z-1 fluid.
I have a few quarts of it that I'll use in either my 08' Corolla or 08' Elantra. Which of these 2 A/T's do you feel would do better on the Pennzoil MV? The Toyota calls for T-IV and the Hyundai calls for SP-III.

I'm leaning toward using the Pennzoil MV in the Corolla because I think the Aisin A/T is more forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back