Malaysia Airlines 777 loses contact...not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Astro14
It's not a simple explanation. Read up on SONAR and how sound travels underwater. It's not straight line of sight, not simple range. Add the the topography of the area and it becomes very complex.

But physics is intellectually difficult...while conspiracy is easy...
So when can I expect your apology when the plane is no where near the area being searched. If they ever find it. Or is it just too hard to search 5-10 sq miles of the ocean floor? Pings now travel 10/100s of miles?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/fun/part08.htm

*WARNING* No conspiracy theories.

Good post and informative.
Unfortunately...a few in this thread don't like scientific and factual information regarding a subject that is more easily explained by emotional conjecture and fantastical conspiracies.

Because this actually requires a person to either have experience in this field. Or have the desire to learn.

Trust me if I can help teach 600 illiterate 16-50 year old students that had the equivalent education of my kindergartner the basics of sound and radio wave propagation anyone with a internet connection on a lubrication website can understand propagation within a workday.

But it may take some dedication. Trust me it is a lot easier for some to imagine some sort of spider web of conspiracy's because this can be a dry subject and math has to be used. It is not a glamorous subject. But it has been studied and proven for well over a century.

The Bluefin unmanned vehicle that is searching for the missing Malaysian airliner had to cut short the search after six hours. The depth of the water was approaching 15,000 feet and if the depth gets to great for the Bluefin it will automatically surface.

They are going to continue to launch the Bluefin but if this airliner is in water deeper than about 15,000 feet they will probably have to use a device or vehicle capable of diving to greater depths.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
The Bluefin unmanned vehicle that is searching for the missing Malaysian airliner had to cut short the search after six hours. The depth of the water was approaching 15,000 feet and if the depth gets to great for the Bluefin it will automatically surface.

They are going to continue to launch the Bluefin but if this airliner is in water deeper than about 15,000 feet they will probably have to use a device or vehicle capable of diving to greater depths.

My gosh! 15,000 ft.! Incredible depth. Must be pitch black and cold down that deep.

It is totally dark and cold and a Styrofoam cup will be crushed to a fraction of its original size.

If this area is mostly deep like this they will have to bring some other vehicle in from somewhere else. I think they have about 400 square miles to search and they have searched only a few square miles so far. But they may be able to search most of that 400 square miles if the depth is not so great.

Apparently they were really not expecting depth quite that great. This Bluefin vehicle has a safety mechanism and it will automatically return to the surface if the depth gets too great. Apparently it was approaching 14,800 feet.

Hopefully the airliner is not in water 15,000 feet or deeper because if it is that is too deep for the BlueFin. But they were searching the most promising area (based on the signals they received)first so the airliner might indeed be in extremely deep water.

If they have to bring something else in there is going to be a delay in the search.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
My gosh! 15,000 ft.! Incredible depth. Must be pitch black and cold down that deep.

Makes you wonder what kind of scary critters live down there.
shocked2.gif

I heard interview from that company yesterday (CEO?) He says the pressure at depth is equivalent to balancing a Cadillac Escalade on a tip of the pin!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I heard interview from that company yesterday (CEO?) He says the pressure at depth is equivalent to balancing a Cadillac Escalade on a tip of the pin!

This is a terrible analogy IMO.

There isn't any balancing going on under water. He should have just said it was XXXX psi which is equal to the weight of a Escalade on an inch square surface.

This is an interesting chart.
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/world/the-depth-of-the-problem/931/

There is no cable attached to the Bluefin. I think they call it the Bluefin-21. It is programmed and then operates by itself. The water is so deep there it takes about 2 hours to get down there, it scans for 16 hours, and then takes 2 hours to come back up. And then it takes 4 hours to download the data. So altogether it takes 24 hours for one trip. It can scan about 15 square miles each time.

But if the water is too deep the Bluefin-21 will abandon the mission and return to the surface. The first time they launched it according to the charts they had the ocean was about 4200-4300 meters deep in that area. But their charts were not accurate and the Bluefin-21 was down about 4500 meters. It scanned the bottom for only 6 hours. And when it became too deep it automatically returned to the surface.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Vikas

This is a terrible analogy IMO.

There isn't any balancing going on under water. He should have just said it was XXXX psi which is equal to the weight of a Escalade on an inch square surface.

This is an interesting chart.
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/world/the-depth-of-the-problem/931/

14.7 pounds per square inch (psi), or 1kg per square cm, of pressure are pushing down on our bodies as we rest at sea level. Our body compensates for this weight by pushing out with the same force. So we don't feel it. (1 atmosphere = 14.7lbs per square inch.)

Every 33 feet under the surface adds another atmosphere.

Last edited:
Unnamed sources say a South Korean passenger ferry carrying 475 people is believed to have struck the wreckage of Malaysian Flight 370 off the coast of South Korea Wednesday. The collision created a tear across several compartments of the ship's hull causing it to rapidly take on water and eventually capsize. Several fishing boats that arrived earliest at the scene attempting to rescue any survivors report finding several bodies that "appeared to have been in the water for at least several weeks".

Close to 300 people who were on the ferry remain unaccounted for. Unconfirmed reports say that several of the 179 survivors were incoherent after being pulled from the frigid waters but seemed to be muttering something about a giant gorilla.

ferry1.jpg

Still no plane? Weird. It's almost like they have no idea where the plane is.

Were those "pings" ever "confirmed" that they were absolutely from the plane?

Originally Posted By: Turk
Still no plane? Weird. It's almost like they have no idea where the plane is.

Were those "pings" ever "confirmed" that they were absolutely from the plane?

We have several experts here that I believe confirmed the pings were from the plane.

You never hear about the plane on the news now since that ship sank. I did find some info that about 2/3rds of the newer search area has been scanned with that remote sub but nothing has been found yet.

It has always bothered me that they never found any floating wreckage from this airliner. I think there should have been some. But I figured that the satellite company probably knew what it was doing in determining that this airliner flew south, and when the signals were detected I thought for sure the airliner was at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. But they have now searched a considerable amount of that ocean floor bottom with no results. Now sure, it can take a long time to search the ocean bottom and it is difficult and all of that. But they searched first in the most likely areas where the signals were detected.

It makes a person wonder about a lot of things. Maybe the airliner is in very deep water (20,000 feet or so) where that little submarine can't go. I think there was something like 400 or 500 square miles they were going to search in the area based on the signals where the airliner probably should be, and if they don't find the wreckage of this airliner pretty soon I am going to start questioning a lot of things.

Now the people who expect people to be robotic and only operate from known facts would probably be useless in military intelligence. Wild speculation also does not get a person anywhere. But a person has to be willing to consider a few things. What if the satellite company is wrong? And for all we know some country involved in the search that may have something to hide could have tossed black boxes into the ocean so that signals would be detected. I think these things are unlikely but if the wreckage is not found pretty soon I will be more willing to entertain a few wild possibilities.

It is true that it can take a very long time to find wreckage at such ocean depths. No question about that. And the wreckage could maybe lie at very great depth or be hidden in some underwater canyon or whatever. Still, they have already searched something like about one tenth of the most likely area based on the signals. And they searched the most likely areas first. Lots of things can happen to underwater signals but those signals can travel only so far. I think it is unlikely that the wreckage is actually one thousand miles away from where they detected the signals. At one point they detected signals for about two hours straight.

Maybe the wreckage will be found soon, or at least in the next few months. But if no wreckage is found after a lot of time has gone back I am willing to consider more possibilities.

Post #1,000. WOW!

It's terrible absolutely not one floating seat has been found. Either it went down as intact as possible to hide any trace, or it's somewhere else.

I wonder who is paying for all this Jet Fuel, Ship Fuel, Food, Labor, Etc. for this massive search?

I also wonder why we're not hearing from all the environmentalists on how much CO2 & Climate Change is being added from this search! HA!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back