Auto Hobby Shop Closed: Oil Change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Move out of the condo and buy a house.
grin.gif
Seriously though, I would love to live in a condo (no yardwork, yay!) but not being able to work on my vehicles is an instant deal-breaker and the only reason why I will never live in one.

Haha, love some of the responses.

You might not believe how cheaply we got this place for. I'm pretty happy with this place as a starter home.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I would love to live in a condo (no yardwork, yay!) but not being able to work on my vehicles is an instant deal-breaker and the only reason why I will never live in one.

"Yard work" is one of the main things I miss from having a house. I had a house with a roommate when I lived in Charlotte. Yard work was almost a hobby. I'm not talking gardens and a manicured lawn though. More like the heaviest duty walk behind mower that could plow through [censored] (used Great Dane), chainsaws, and feeding large pieces of meat to the mega-turtle (named "Rick") that lived in the swamp pond behind the house. Man I miss that stuff. Apartments, condos, townhouses, etc. suck in comparison. Setting stuff on fire in the yard was fun too. Not to mention the mini-pond, separate from the swamp pond, which bred large numbers of frogs for the mega-turtle to eat when he wasn't eating chicken, meatballs, bread, fruit, or whatever else we gave him.

To the original question...I have done maintenance in every apartment I have lived in. It was explicitly banned at my college apartment, but I did it anyway, ranging from oil changes to diff fluid changes. Never a problem, not so much as a warning. My current apartment doesn't ban it, and some other people do it too, but it's inconvenient because of the slope of the parking lot. I usually go to a relative or friend's house to do work.

Just take it to a shop. If I caught someone changing their oil and screwing up one of my parking lots I'd call the police.

Imagine the liability if the car falls on them and kills them or they spill oil. My insurance would be insane.

Working on vehicles in my rentals parking lots is against the tenant leases and so far no one has tested me on it, in the garage have at it I don't care.

Last edited:
It will vary by location, but I imagine in many areas, the police would not like to receive a call about an oil change. Unless it's a violation of a city code, it's a civil matter, so what would they do anyway? Just give the tenant a direct warning, or fine them yourself. Your insurance isn't going to have to cover something explicitly banned in the lease.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Go to a fleet gas station and change the oil there. Those fleet stations are always completely vacant.

Except for the security guards that patrol them. LOL

If I was a guard and caught them trespassing I'd have them prosecuted, like an earlier poster mentioned if the person gets injured or contaminates the parking lot with oil it could be very costly to the business owner.

Not a lot of tools are required for an oil change. Go to a Walmart parking lot and park in the back where nobody is and change it there. Won't take long and nobody could care less.

Either borrow friend's garage or take the oil and filter to a garage and pay $10-15 for labor. Don't do it in back alley or some empty parking lot.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Either borrow friend's garage or take the oil and filter to a garage and pay $10-15 for labor. Don't do it in back alley or some empty parking lot.

....or your local dealer who'll charge $20 for a BYOO&f OC....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
It will vary by location, but I imagine in many areas, the police would not like to receive a call about an oil change. Unless it's a violation of a city code, it's a civil matter, so what would they do anyway? Just give the tenant a direct warning, or fine them yourself. Your insurance isn't going to have to cover something explicitly banned in the lease.

I was referring to commercial property, ie the change it on the weekend comment. Its called trespass.

I understand people want to change their own oil but their is a limit. The OP should use this as a good motivator to purchase a house or a townhouse/condo with a garage!

Last edited:
I usually do my oil changes at my parent's house since they've got a huge epoxy covered garage with all my supplies there. Since we all have about the same commute, I end up doing my oil changes with their cars. I use their garage, bring the oil & filters, do the changes and my father takes the used oil to his work. Everyone is happy.

If that were somehow not an option, I could always take it to a couple friend's houses. I do have my own garage at my apartment but I wouldn't want to risk spilling oil and having to pay for any cleanup/fee plus having to work with the garage door down.

Spend ten dollars and let a mechanic do the work.

Seriously, walmart would call the cops on you if you were working on a car in their parking lot.

Trespassing in an industrial area is not a good idea either.

I was paying $500/month for rent a mile away from the beach before, all included, for a decent place in a decent location. I bought a really decent, small condo in a good location and am paying LESS/month now, at least for the mortgage and insurance.

I'm a big proponent of maintaining a substantial savings cushion, just in case, and the local houses and higher-end condos (near where I work) were listing at at least 3X the price, MUCH more for what we would consider a "forever home."

I'll admit that I didn't plan on losing access to the base hobby shop, which I guess could be considered poor planning. The only concern now, is that an oil change (with coupon) is much cheaper than paying for labor and handing them my on-sale oil and filter.

So, rogue Ops may be in order. I think I'll do it later at night and wait for a nasty gram.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

Seriously, walmart would call the cops on you if you were working on a car in their parking lot.

Industrial parks have "paper streets" and dead zones. Do your research. Usually there are public roads with semi-abandoned (but still registered) semi trailers and other detritus. The U-haul place here parks most of their trucks on public streets. Wiggle in with these guys and get 'er done.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: JustinH

Industrial parks have "paper streets" and dead zones. Do your research. Usually there are public roads with semi-abandoned (but still registered) semi trailers and other detritus. The U-haul place here parks most of their trucks on public streets. Wiggle in with these guys and get 'er done.

X2. In the right area, nobody gives a [censored].

There is a '67-'72 C-10 with no bed parked on the street in the industrial side of downtown Birmingham all the time. It is usually parked in front of a Wendy's, but I am 99% sure it does not belong to anyone at the Wendy's as I have seen people from a shop down the street pushing it to a different spot before. There is a kind of rough Karmann Ghia nearby too, which doesn't move much either, but does have a for sale sign in the window and I have seen it being driven before.

In fact, there are all kinds of "eyesores" around here that move infrequently and are usually found on a public street. An oil change, done quickly, would probably go unnoticed. Most people probably can't recognize an oil change being done anyway and just think "car trouble."

Some vehicles are quicker than others. I changed the oil on a 1992 Ranger 3.0 in a gravel driveway today in seriously about 10 minutes. It had less "stuff" than my 2002 3.0, allowing insanely easy access to the oil filter and drain plug. No spills and no mess. I could have done it on the side of the road and been done before anyone would have figured out I was there.

One day you'll need a shop to repair and sounds like maintain your vehicle

Ask friends for recommendations of shops around. My guy I really trust albeit Subaru expert(wife) and working on my 100k+ Acura MDX actually wants me to buy the Acura only SH-AWD fluid as its easier to acquire for him. He charged me $13 labor for rear diff change on MDX beyond a $28 dino oil change.

He honestly could care less if you show up with fluids as he gets the WRX folks who do just that.

The shop is out there and building a trust relationship will help you latter. My case I am facing a valve job on my 170k Legacy turbo(EJ257) but full confidence with my guy.

Hobby shop is back open! I've already changed the oil in both cars, as well as the ATF and PSF in the Civic. The guy there said they were closed down due to "management issues," whatever that means.

Things seem to be run a little tighter now, which sucks for guys like me who want to get in and out, and who clean up after we're done. It doesn't add much time having them inspect the bay when we're finished. It's probably more so the fact that I don't know these guys, so I'm being treated like a newb there.

A funny quasi-story: I was pouring DW-1 ATF into my wife's car and two guys walked by (one hobby shop worker and the guy in the bay next to me.) I was draining the oil while I was pouring in ATF, which seemed to perplex them. The guy in the bay next to me finally piped up and said, "hey, you're spilling that." My heart jumped into my throat at first, until I realized he mistook the red-colored fluid flowing through the clear tygon leading from the funnel to the fill port for leaking ATF!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back