Which narrowbody aircraft/airline should I choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 737 is definitely the way to go over a 757.

The Airbus isn't bad either.

I can't stand flying in one of those 757 sardine cans.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My family is taking a trip to Arizona in October for my brother's wedding. We fly VERY infrequently, so I'd like to make the travel arrangements the best they can be with the limited budget we have. I have a choice of four airlines (which may actually be three anyway), Delta, US Airways, American, and Southwest. Southwest is the cheapest, and we can fly non-stop from RDU to PHX. Other options have at least one layover somewhere, unless I spend much more per ticket. Southwest flies a 737-700 on this route.

Other options on the long leg (which is either CLT to PHX or ATL to PHX) with other airlines are a 757, an MD-xx, or an Airbus A32x.

A car is not a car. A Cobalt rides different than a Focus. Are planes just planes when it comes to ride/passenger comfort, when it comes to commercial airliners? Is there any reason why I should prefer one narrowbody to another?

And Southwest is cheapest by about 15% (a few hundred bucks). My mother has flown Southwest before...any real horror stories with Southwest?

How young are your children? I ask because I believe Southwest allows families with young children to board after the early boarding, but before the rest of passengers. Not sure what the cutoff on age is, but you can check with them. I've flown Southwest plenty of times with no problems and their bags fly free does save you money.

I'd say your choice is made.
Southwest is an okay experience, although the cattle call boarding process is a bit of a pain.
We've flown them in the past and would (probably will) do so again.
If they are the least expensive in fare, you'll also save on checked bag fees and Southwest will also give you at least a few snacks, something that's gone away in most airline coach cabins.
Southwest also has enough flights from any of their stations that, while they can't interline you, they can probably flow you through their system through some oddball routing to where you need to go in the event of a missed connection or a flight cancellation.
Southwest also operates at lower average load factors than most other domestic operators, so your chances of being able to get seats on an alternative booking in the event of a missed connect or cancel are better than they are with many carriers, even though those carriers may be able to interline you.
And incidentally, if you are stuck, the airline's first bid will always be to rebook you on their own metal. You have to insist that the agent handling rebooks looks at interline possibilities.
Been there, done that.
Nothing wrong with the 737. All have the same cabin cross section, from the original -100 through the -900.
The A320 is a little wider, the 757 offers much better performance, and all of the DC-9 developments through the 717 offer five abreast seating and are very quiet unless you're way in the back.
We've flown all of these aircraft and would not select a flight based upon our desire to avoid any of them.
Even the little fifty seat ERJ and CRJ aircraft are fine with us, although some people consider it an advantage that all Southwest flying is mainline, with nothing contracted to operators flying smaller aircraft.

My last few flights have been southwest, and one on American, and I ONLY flew American, b/c they had the cheapest/only non-stop on the route i typically fly, From either Dayton, or Columbus OH to Dallas. (I'll be SOO glad when the wright amendment expires...next year i think... and flights out of Love field won't be limited to states contiguous to TX) If i can get a Direct SW Flight, it's game over for the competitors. (right now American has 2 flights daily from DAY-DFW. all on MD80's (2 seats one side, 3 on the other) and they are ALWAYS FULL flights.)

the only time i've had an issue with SW, it was "an act of God". I had a stop over in orlando, and they had a strong storm cell come through the area(w/ tornadoes even!) after we landed, we sat on the tarmac (in the plane) for an hour waiting for the storm to let up enough for the airport to re-open. then they re assigned my flight, (I wasn't supposed to change planes there, but ended up doing so)but my Luggage Didn't get reassigned. I made it in to Boise 2 hrs late(12:30a, EVERYTHING in the airport was closed, even the rental agencies, Luckily i was meeting My parents there, and they had gotten in in time to pick up the car), and no Luggage (turned out it went to Chicago, i had a funeral the next morning) My bags made it to me after the funeral, and they reimbursed me for clothing expenses up to $50 (Hello Walmart!) then, a couple days later, i Got a $70 Voucher for my troubles in my email(as did everyone on my flight into Orlando)

Last edited:
I have over 1,000,000 miles as a passenger (paid) on airlines, mostly on United, but also hit Platinum on Delta and have flown on AA, JB and SWA.

Most of you know that I fly for a major airline, so any opinions I offer here would be suspect if I recommended an airframe or carrier, so I will say this: shop carefully and consider what your needs are: Schedule? Cost? Amenities? Connections? Avoiding extra fees? ...there are pros and cons to each choice of carrier or airframe, but at the end of the day, if you're on an airline flown by US pilots, you're going to be safe, so predicate your decision on those other factors and consider consolidating your travel on that carrier that best suits your needs so that you begin to accumulate some of the rewards with which they entice you to come back. The perks sure make flying a more pleasant experience.

Enjoy your vacation.
Astro

Last edited:
I use a luggage service and sail through check in... I will never drag bags around again... electronic check in... It is amazing to just walk by the luggage area and watch the regular people grazing...
southwest never a problem to me... no meals... ok by me... airline food sucks anyway...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I think the Scare-Bus A320 series often has a slightly wider cabin. Meaning the potential for a little wider seats (airlines choose the seat width)

But, one thing is certain, the Airbus has more shoulder room on the window seats than the Boeing.

Check this out: http://www.seatguru.com/charts/shorthaul_economy.php

Scare-Bus?
Really?
The A320 has a wider cabin than the 707/720/727/737/757 although not so much that it's glaringly obvious. You do notice the slightly wider aisle as well as the slightly greater shoulder room in a window seat.
Pitch is entirely an airline decision, though, and a 737 with 34" pitch would be more comfortable than any Airbus in a 31" pitch.
The 737 and the A320 are so close in performance and economics that airlines order them based more upon the deal and delivery dates than any presumed superiority of either design.
At maximum stretch for these designs, the A321 is a more capable aircraft than the 737-900 and the order books reflect this.
Darn that short Boeing gear!
We were just on a 737-900 last weekend and it seemed pretty okay.
The A321 has been on past flights as well.

I've flown the A320 and it doesn't feel any bigger than the 737. I suspect that's because Delta has a ridiculous 31" seat pitch to Southwest's "generous" 33/34".

Thanks to all for the great replies. It seems like a pretty easy decision for us here; Southwest is one of the few with good direct flights (not red-eyes), at by far the least expensive fares, and the equipment (B737s) seems to be modern enough, comfortable enough, and certainly reliable enough.

We will book with Southwest soon. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Scare-Bus?
Really?

Just a bit of aviation humor. I'm certainly not serious about it. And, I agree, both aircraft are quite similar in capability and performance. I prefer flying in the Airbus due to the extra room.

I know you were using humor.
OTOH, when United still had pre NG 737s, I flew on two 733s from GEG>ORD>CVG and many of the FAs said that they prefered them to the A320s.

You answered your own question....Limited budget. Least expensive. Nonstop. Southwest.

edut: D'oh, should have read it all before commenting....
33.gif

Last edited:
One more question for Southwest 737-700 fliers, though I would assume the -800 would be the same. Do the seats have AC plugs to charge electronic devices? We will likely make use of the available wireless connectivity for the kids to watch movies, but would like to be able to keep a charge on the laptop/iPad while in the air.

I have travel benefits on Delta so I usually ride on them. However when I take a family vacation I usually pay the full fare on Southwest. This is just because I have younger kids and traveling as a family it's much easier. The bag charge add up in hurry. Most of the time when I non-rev on Delta, I get the "economy comfort" which gives me the extra leg room and more recline. On the 737 (Delta's Economy comfort) They have a AC and USB plug. Now that they have put the new 737-900 on my commute route, It's rare I get a ride on anyone else. To be honest, unless you're going international, all the airline are about the same, they each just a have their own unique way of doing a certain things and each one tries to target a certain group of passengers. Delta usually try to focus on business travelers. Spirit focus on the cheap tickets but charge for everything else. Southwest is a mix of every type of travelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back