Dewalt brand loyal no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I've never found a Dewalt cordless drill with a keyless chuck that could be tightened tight enough, that the bit does not spin. Doesn't happen to my cheap Craftsman that I use at home. And surely doesn't happen to the Milwaukee Fuel drills that we use at work. And as you mention, the batteries are not the greatest. That is what most in our shop hates about the Dewalt tools the most. And that is why we no longer buy Dewalt. All Milwaukee now.

That's usually because people don't know how to properly chuck up the bits. DeWalt sources the chucks from Rohm and use carbide inserts. You tighten until you get final, louder click and if the drill bit is a softer steel or a cheap HSS you'll probably have to re-torque it because the carbide digs in after the first little bit of use. Can't blame the tool when the users don't read the instructions.

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
I've never found a Dewalt cordless drill with a keyless chuck that could be tightened tight enough, that the bit does not spin. Doesn't happen to my cheap Craftsman that I use at home. And surely doesn't happen to the Milwaukee Fuel drills that we use at work. And as you mention, the batteries are not the greatest. That is what most in our shop hates about the Dewalt tools the most. And that is why we no longer buy Dewalt. All Milwaukee now.

That's usually because people don't know how to properly chuck up the bits. DeWalt sources the chucks from Rohm and use carbide inserts. You tighten until you get final, louder click and if the drill bit is a softer steel or a cheap HSS you'll probably have to re-torque it because the carbide digs in after the first little bit of use. Can't blame the tool when the users don't read the instructions.

Used many a cordless drill with keyless chucks over the years. And only Dewalt never tightens up right. Say what you will about it being the user. But I am far from the only one that has noted this same defect with Dewalt chucks. And only Dewalt chucks.

Quote:
Used many a cordless drill with keyless chucks over the years. And only Dewalt never tightens up right. Say what you will about it being the user. But I am far from the only one that has noted this same defect with Dewalt chucks. And only Dewalt chucks.

So have I and I've never had a bit fail to chuck in a DeWalt drill. Makita, Bosch, and Metabo run Rohm chucks too so it is the users that seem to be the common problem. I've replaced every Jacob 500 slapped on a Ridgid with a Rohm Supra and never had an issue.

DeWalt does not make their own chucks.

They source their chucks from other companies that make chucks.

One of the companies they source it from is Jacobs

Other companies also source their chucks from companies like Jacobs

If you're going to blame DeWalt, then blame the Black & Decker engineers for choosing a [censored] chuck design

Last edited:
I've always had good luck with DeWalt. Most of my stuff is older. The newer stuff may not be as good as they've had to cheapen it to stay at certain price points. An 18 volt XRP drill was around $300 15+ years ago. Still around $300. I'm sure this has affected Milwaukee and the rest too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back