Victory 20w-40 semi-syn oil. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suspect the Vic oil will hold up well. Also consider the capacity is twice what my Dyna is (2.5 as opposed to 5 qt) and the Vic has an oil cooler. Just by looking at the Vic engine, it has a lot of cooling fins, so it looks like it would do a good job at keeping the oil in good condition.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I would suspect the Vic oil will hold up well. Also consider the capacity is twice what my Dyna is (2.5 as opposed to 5 qt) and the Vic has an oil cooler. Just by looking at the Vic engine, it has a lot of cooling fins, so it looks like it would do a good job at keeping the oil in good condition.

Your Dyna only has the oil lubing the engine, its not a shared sump like on the victory that uses the same oil for the engine, trans/primary. I am guessing the Dyna engine is easier on oil than the victory because it does not have all those gears tearing up the oil.

I've gotta say, this oil did better than I expected, and the wear metals were nominal even though the engine was still wearing in. The oil sheared, but considering the miles on this OCI, it still wasn't that bad. I think I'll be sticking with the Victory oil for now.

Do you guys think a full syn would give better results?--doubtful in my opinion.

[img:center]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14231719/13_VICTORY_XCT-110813_oil_analysis--Redacted.pdf[/img]

Robster,

Do what you like with the OCI, surprises eventually can happen, some like to have a safety factor or buffer against oil degradation and associated wear. But it all comes down to how lucky you are with your gamble.

Originally Posted By: Robster
For those interested. . .up to now (according to the on-board computer) I've averaged 46 MPG over this OCI so far. If that average stays about the same for the rest of the OCI, that equates to about 108 hrs. of engine operation over 5000 miles. Most of the operation is at about a 2500 RPM average (5100 RPM redline). From this info I can approximate average engine output at about 49%.

So we have 49% average power output over 108 hrs. of operation--it doesn't seem like this engine is working very hard most of the time.

Very good observation. It's not.

The dominant factor in the power-load curve vs speed (or rpm if you will) for a typical rolling vehicle is approximated with the aerodynamic drag function,
P = unitless coefficient of drag * air density * sihuoette area * Relative Air Velocity^3

Of course there are other power parasites such as some bearing drag, tire flexing & heating, brake drag, from climbing inclines, driveline inneficiencies, etc. But for the most part those which are external influences are typically around 3 - 5% of the total required for a steady-state speed.

The Velocity^3 component means that doubling your speed requires 8 times as much hp.

Imply the opposite, that you are operating your motorcycle at 50% of your maximum speed (50% of max rpm), presumably in high gear, the Velocity factor makes the aero drag power 1/8th of the steady-state power at redline.

Land based vehicles are mostly relaxing at very low percentages of their total available power output. The exceptions are hard acceleration and high speeds on autobahns especially into a headwind.

At level flight and constant speed, the power propelling an airborne vehicle is entirely used to overcome aerodynamic drag. I think plane designers intend for the wings to approach high speed lift characteristics and your cruising speed is a relatively high percentage of that. So if wide open on your Skyhawk gets 125 knots at 180 horsepower, doing some Sunday afternoon sightseeing at 110 knots only takes 68% of that, or 122 horsepower. You probably need flaps to go much under 80, and even just above that point, the plane probably has a noticeably higher level of instability than at cruising and WOT speeds. And those engines are set up like stationary diesels that run compressors and pumps. Very high torque, relatively low rpm to avoid high levels of wear.

I often wonder how automotive oil with moderate levels of zinc doesn't cause even more misfiring/ detonation/ pinging when there are valve and combustion chamber deposits. Does aircraft oil also take out the other additive metals like moly, magnesium, calcium, sodium, potassium, titanium, and possibly others?

if you research you will learn that wider #'s as a 10-40 compared to 20-40 needs more fragile viscosity index improvers that are chewed up in vic's tranny we are talking dino oils now. vic's oil made by whoever uses a closer spread so their cheaper lower grade oils can be decent, as they are in tests but shearing was poor! make oil cheap and sell high = more profits simply! real manmade group IV + V synthetics are very different. real synthetics are shear stable and use little to no VII depending on grade. a 10-40 real synthetic will have some but not near as much as a dino oil. since vic's oil + filter made by Wix are quite costly it makes sense to run a better oil at that price point. that air cooled 106" with a shared gearbox requires top shelf amsoil or redline IMO, at least mobil I if you do not want to mail order buts its just as costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back