Another 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek owner..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a nice rig...but I'll venture a guess that you don't have any rear facing car seats? When my wife and I were shopping a few weeks ago we looked at the XV...our rear facing carseat would not fit in the backseat. We also tried out a '14 Forester but found it "bouncy" compared to my '12 Legacy. The '14 Outback was a winner for us. Enough room for the carseats, lots of cargo space, and a firm ride that doesn't toss you around.

Out of all of them I like my Legacy the best.
grin.gif

Yep, it's not the best, even with a basic booster seat in the back. A lot of center console kicking and whatnot. Ride is harsh and bouncy for sure compared to a Legacy or Outback. I would have loved an Outback, but didn't want to pay another 2-3K.

I have about 15k on my XV Crosstrek w/ CVT

Some observations of likes and annoyances. For the record this is my first Subaru

Ground Clearance is awesome

Oil changes are a breeze on this thing especially with a Fumoto Valve. Engineers got it right with the placement of the oil filter

Heated Seats even with a cloth interior

Styling- I get more questions and compliments on this car than any other I've owned since my 91 Celica GTS

MPG- sort of a like/dislike For an AWD vehicle it gets decent mpg. Coming from a 2011 Silverado 4x4 anything is an improvement lol.

The Backup Camera is nice. I sprung for the SAT/NAV package so you get a bigger screen

Minor annoyances:

The SAT/NAV package overpriced. I did it mainly for the SAT portion. The NAV is pretty convoluted and antiquated compared to Google Maps or Waze etc. Plus Subaru charges some decent coin for updates (185?)

Paint chips way too easily especially on the hood. Even with a hood protector it is chips galore ( I guess most new cars suffer this fate)

Louder than average cabin noise, if you are looking for a quiet highway ride look elsewhere. Engine, CVT and wind noise is pronounced Big mirrors and roof racks contribute here

The CVT can drone pretty loudly at times

Seat heater switches are in a crazy spot but that's been a common gripe about Subarus for awhile I guess

After 1 winter the exhaust system looks like it is about 10 years old. Covered in rust already

It does like to wander on the highway so you need to stay alert. Mix in some heavy winds and you def have your hands full!

Engines sounds pretty thrashy especially when cold

The shifter squeaks when shifting from P to D

Again nothing above a deal breaker, just some observations. There are probably more, that's what just came to mind

While it won't set any land speed records, it is sufficient for a semi econo box hatch

I'm thinking of adding the sport grill and rear spoiler

I think the sport grille is a vast improvement. The rear spoiler isn't for me.

And yes, I think the XV could have used some more sound deadening, but I guess it was trying to maximize MPG and price.

Wouldn't mind one of these at all when the new car time comes.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
And yes, I think the XV could have used some more sound deadening, but I guess it was trying to maximize MPG and price.

Absolutely. Everything has a "flip side" and sound deadening is no different. It does make the car quiet and feel refined. But you pay a penalty for that weight every time you drive. It can be in economy, but can also be in handling and a general nimble feeling. Sound deadening does add weight.

I like pretty much everything in the current Subaru catalog. I can't say that about too many other manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

After 1 winter the exhaust system looks like it is about 10 years old. Covered in rust already

Does Subaru not use stainless steel after the exhaust headers like most manufacturers do nowadays?

Blue- I remember some years back when you had the Chevy HHR (If I remember correctly!) and I had a 2007 Cobalt.

Yep, pretty much on-board with your experiences, except I don't have nav, etc.

The heated seat buttons don't bother me, but this may be because I've never owned a vehicle with heated seats before and I'm pretty giddy about it either way..

I find my XV-C tracks MUCH better at highway speeds than my 2012 Legacy did. That was always an annoyance with the Legy. The legacy was annoyingly bad. Tires wore normally and I never pursued it given it was leased.

Road and drivetrain noise is high. If you think the CVT is bad that way, try a 5spd. You pretty much have the radio cranked up to distortion level to drown everything out, LOL. Which leads to another minor complaint. The base AM/FM/CD player on the XV is tin can sounding compared to the base AM/FM/CD on the Legacy. The head units look identical.

I'm only at 2500mi, but the fuel economy per the dash reaout perks right up as soon as the ambient temps rise above ~45F or so. That's exactly how my Legacy was. The dash readout is calculating 30mpg average for me now w/ the Crosstrek. When I calculate it, it's more like 27mpg average currently.

Most of the exhaust looked horrible after a year or two on the Legacy too. It's got to be harbor freight tools stainless used for these systems. Be unreal if it didn't have some stainless in it.. Cool thing is the CC's are covered for 15yrs/150Kmi thanks to the PZEV warranty and living in a PZEV state.

The paint held-up very well in the ~28mo/43Kmi I owned my Legacy. I'm hoping the XV does similarly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

Blue- I remember some years back when you had the Chevy HHR (If I remember correctly!) and I had a 2007 Cobalt.

The heated seat buttons don't bother me, but this may be because I've never owned a vehicle with heated seats before and I'm pretty giddy about it either way..

I find my XV-C tracks MUCH better at highway speeds than my 2012 Legacy did. That was always an annoyance with the Legy. The legacy was annoyingly bad. Tires wore normally and I never pursued it given it was leased.

Road and drivetrain noise is high. If you think the CVT is bad that way, try a 5spd. You pretty much have the radio cranked up to distortion level to drown everything out, LOL. Which leads to another minor complaint. The base AM/FM/CD player on the XV is tin can sounding compared to the base AM/FM/CD on the Legacy. The head units look identical.

I'm only at 2500mi, but the fuel economy per the dash reaout perks right up as soon as the ambient temps rise above ~45F or so. That's exactly how my Legacy was. The dash readout is calculating 30mpg average for me now w/ the Crosstrek. When I calculate it, it's more like 27mpg average currently.

Most of the exhaust looked horrible after a year or two on the Legacy too. It's got to be harbor freight tools stainless used for these systems. Be unreal if it didn't have some stainless in it.. Cool thing is the CC's are covered for 15yrs/150Kmi thanks to the PZEV warranty and living in a PZEV state.

The paint held-up very well in the ~28mo/43Kmi I owned my Legacy. I'm hoping the XV does similarly.

What issues did you have with the Legacy tracking?

I think it tracks very well at highway speed. Then again, I'm coming from a 4th gen 4Runner which are pretty notorious for wandering.

Hey that's right on the HHR and Cobalt! I actually miss that car. Although judging by everything in the news about GM I guess we are lucky we are still alive after driving those cars heh

I've noticed that the mpg readout is 2 mpg too high and yes with the warmer weather it is steadily heading higher

If you haven't checked out the XV forum as of yet take a look. Lots good info there

http://www.subaruxvforum.com

Some good tutorials on how to quiet the car down with dynamat, Frost King etc. A project I'll tackle in the spring

I hear you BG! I should have never unloaded my Cobalt. That was a great little car and I bought it new for ~$12100 at the time! I struggled in the winter with it, but little did I know at the time what a huge difference snow tires would have made. Duhhh!

Yeah, I'm 188 posts in over at subaruxvforums. LOL.

Paint chips way too easily especially on the hood. Even with a hood protector it is chips galore ( I guess most new cars suffer this fate)

I get this on my WRX too. There's a quarry fairly close to my house and way too many rock and sand trucks around here. At 2.5 years and ~42k miles my WRX's hood is somewhat badly peppered with chips. I just try not to look at it too closely.

I'd like to see the XV with about 20 more hp and a 6spd. Otherwise I think the CVT is the way I'd go at this point. Forester has the 6spd. Subaru is really pushing their excellent CVT though, which makes sense in this market.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'd like to see the XV with about 20 more hp and a 6spd.

That would be great, as long as it didn't drive up the price.

There's talk on another Subaru board that the existing 6spd is a less heavy-duty trans than the 5spd. No idea if that's true or not. I've not heard too many owners praise the 6spd's smoothness either.

Apparently there are people complaining about the CVT not transmitting power in reverse?

There are a lot of youtube videos of people trying to back their CVT equipped Subaru over curbs.

It's a Subaru thing ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Apparently there are people complaining about the CVT not transmitting power in reverse?

There are a lot of youtube videos of people trying to back their CVT equipped Subaru over curbs.

It's a Subaru thing ...

I've driven newer conventional automatics, where much of the throttle is taken away from you (E-throttle) in reverse.

You'd be enveloped in a cloud of burning clutch smell in my new 5spd if you try anything aggressive in reverse. Many owners complain of this trying to back up a steep hill, or when trying to get unstuck using reverse. Subaru. Great going forward.

Last edited:
I see they have my 2012 Legacy 2.5i CVT, w/ ~42Kmi listed for sale online finally for the low price of $20045. A bargain I tell ya! LOL. Well, it was a well cared for lease anyway.

Yikes.. Just noticed they still have my Legacy listed on the lot. Price dropped to $16442. That's less than what my buyout was, plus they put new tires on it. Maybe I don't feel so bad only getting ~$500 off the sticker of my new XV Crosstrek. http://www.westherrsubaru.com/used/Subar...801b576027a.htm

Just noticed they still have my Legacy listed on the lot. Price dropped to $16442. That's less than what my buyout was, plus they put new tires on it. Maybe I don't feel so bad only getting ~$500 off the sticker of my new XV Crosstrek.

It's all a numbers game. The dealer probably prefers to keep you at MSRP on the purchase and take less on the trade. They get to report better sales totals and can take the "loss" on the trade in the profit they make.

I felt like a champ after trading my 2011 Camry for more than I paid new. I bought it for $16,990 and traded it the next summer for $17,450. I thought to myself, "there's no way they'll break even on this Camry." But they really didn't have to...I paid their asking price on our CPO CR-V, and they weren't going to move off that.

They could mark down the purchase a lot and mark down the trade a lot to match. But the whole transaction would be less and they'd have fewer dollars to report on their end-of-month reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back