Super Tech 15/40 Who Makes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Sometimes the cheapo product does not meet spec.

Sometimes the high end, name brand product does not meet spec. I give you at least one batch of SM/GF-4 M1 and the NextGen tested by the PQIA recently. I'm not about to start avoiding Ashland or XOM products, though.

Originally Posted By: ottomatic
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
...... House brands have been generally every bit as capable for most any normal use. I took a PCMO ST dino to 10k and 15k miles last year and it did stellar. There is no reason to think ST or AAP or AZ or Napa HDEO can't do what the others will in "normal" applications.

well or house brand liquor vs "top-shelf" liquors.

Impurities are distilled out of the top-shelf brands and they are smoother and have a richer, fuller taste.
house brands may have a bite and taste a little bitter or burning. They may even cause more of a hang-over.
They are called "well" liquors because they are kept in the speed rack or well. Top Shelf liquors are kept on the, yeah you guessed it, top-shelf.

I've always been "top shelf" and want the same in an oil.

I like call brands, too. But it's not really a good analogy.

Liquor is a very subjective topic, not unlike cigars, etc. There are as many, if not more, personal attributes to satisfy as there are directly measurable criteria. If you looked at things that are measurable, like proof or age, you can compare and contrast directly. You can even measure the ability to induce intoxication, acknowledging other inputs effects here. But "taste", color, etc is subjective.

When it comes to oils, we can measure inputs and outputs. With inputs, we look at VOAs. With outputs, we look at UOAs. I don't concern myself with how an oil smells or looks; I judge it by performance in how it protects and cleans.

Just not a good analogy overall between the two.

The bottom line is this: API licensed fluids are a very good bet towards solid performance. You can pay more, but you'll not get more ROI unless you extend. Data resoundingly proves this and I have yet to see anyone so macro data to the contrary.

Originally Posted By: fonecord2
How about if you can get name brand synthetic for less $ than store brand dino?

Then buy it and use it. Yes - it can happen at times. BOGOs, rebates, etc can make any product attractive for ROI.

But use it to it's full extent; don't dump it early just because you got it "cheap". Waste is still waste, after all ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Then buy it and use it. Yes - it can happen at times. BOGOs, rebates, etc can make any product attractive for ROI.

Or generally bizarre Canadian pricing.
wink.gif

Rolling back a bit.

I have purchased Super-Tech oils in the past and use the HD15W40 in my cars. Old fashioned OHV V-8's in them all. I have no issues.

Also, upon examination of their so-called "Tractor Oil" I have seen that it carries the older API designations, and have deemed it more than adequate for my use, or perhaps better given the potentially higher ZDP content. Plus it has been as much as $10 cheaper for the 20L pail.

Now, I see that it is supplied by Safety Cleen. A reputable company, however that says recycled to me. Is that to be a concern?

Mike

That's probably one of the reasons it's marketed up here as SuperTech (or whatever it's name is up here these days). That way, Safety-Kleen can sell their product fairly widely to the public, while Walmart gets a good price on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back