Sig p238 or Taurus TCP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a good reliable pocket gun and I know the sig is better but more than twice the price. I still would like to buy a full size sig but if I got the Taurus it would help me save for the full size sig. Is it a decent gun? P238 is used with lots of goodies at $500 and Taurus is $250. Thanks!

Those two are very different. The P238 is a 1911-style gun with a thumb safety. The TCP is DAO and without a thumb safety. In my opinion, they're hard to compare because they're very different types of guns. If you like shooting 1911s in single action, you probably won't like the TCP. And if you're used to shooting DAO pistols without safeties, something with a thumb safety will have to be trained with constantly to learn to use it.

I'm not saying one is any better than the other, or that you should choose one or the other. What full-size Sig are you after? I would recommend that you buy whatever type of gun you desire to have. If you're after a full-size 1911 from Sig, then the P238 will likely be a good match. If you're after a DA/SA pistol from Sig, then the TCP might be a better match.

Both are servicable, but the manual of arms will be different. The Taurus appears to be DAO, and Sig SAO.

Have you fired both of them, or checked out reviews on YT?

My last Taurus (revolver) had to go back for repair after it's first (short) range session. Great customer service, but it still is a hassle.

My vote goes for the Taurus between the Two.

The Ruger LCP or Kel Tec P-3AT are some other options.

I have a Taurus 38 revolver and a 9MM automatic pistol and have had no issues with them.

I know of a lot of people here that daily carry a Taurus 380.

The taurus if you plan to carry a lot.
The sig if you plan to shoot a lot.

Taurus firearms, in my experience, are usually fine out of the box, but they wear out rather quickly and eventually start to malfunction. They are good defensive tools for people who need an inexpensive firearm for the nightstand drawer - but are not ideal for those of us who practice a lot, or shoot for fun.

Taurus 1911s are exempt from the above generalization.

Yes, Taurus has a great warranty and they will fix the problem. My taurus needs to go in for warranty work, but the hassle and expense of having to shell out $75 of my own money for overnight shipping and having to hand-deliver it to a UPS hub - just haven't got around to it yet.

We have a lot of Sigs, including the 238, because my wife likes them ( for some reason ), and a fair number of Tauri, because I'm okay with them.

The answer is Sig.

Edit: I occasionally pocket carry the 238 and it is very good for this if you're comfortable with a single action.

Last edited:
I carried a Sig P239 .40 cal for about six years (issued by my department) and had no problems with it. . . a real nice shooter. On the other hand, most of the rest of the department carried the P229 and about 1/3 of those guns FAILED during that same time period. . .I'm talking failures involving broken parts that completely stopped the guns. The guys lost faith in the Sigs, and the agency went with Glocks about 4 years ago.

I'm not bashing Sigs overall--I liked the one I carried and never had a problem with it. The problems were unique to the 229. Sig couldn't resolve the failures in a timely manner.

My point is, don't put blind faith in a name. . . do your research before laying your cash down.

Last edited:
Taurus has a reputation for spotty quality and bad warranty service. I gambled with them and lost. YMMV.

The Sig is too heavy for its caliber and intended role.

If I wanted a pocket .380, I'd look at the LCP, P3AT, and P380.

I have the Sig 238, Ruger LCP, AMT DA .380, and Keltec P3AT......the Keltec is my choice of carry all of the time. It's 100% reliable now (after a several hundred round break-in) and inexpensive enough that I don't worry about it getting knocked around. It resides in a Desantis pocket holster and I practice enough with it to be pretty proficient (have shot several groundhogs on the run).....my only modifications are a finger-rest mag extention and some neon green sight paint on the front. I did a fluff-and buff on it a while back.....just because.

For a true pocket gun, the Ruger LCP is an inexpensive choice. It's not great for extended range duty, but carries nicely. I have one, and the P238. The P238 shoots better & is more fun, but the LCP carries better in the pocket, holstered of course. I use a 'Nemesis' pocket holster, other options are available.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Looking for a good reliable pocket gun and I know the sig is better but more than twice the price. I still would like to buy a full size sig but if I got the Taurus it would help me save for the full size sig. Is it a decent gun? P238 is used with lots of goodies at $500 and Taurus is $250. Thanks!

You lost me here at Taurus, had one, never again. Not familiar with the Sig line up, but they have a good reputation IMO. The Ruger LCP,LC-380, LC-9 are good pocket guns too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back