HAMP vs Honda OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I talked to a US-based source today about the HAMP (Toyo-Roki) replacement oil filters for Honda engines. They claim to routinely use model H1540-PBF-004 which is actually a bit SMALLER than the new Honda OEM 15400-PLM-A01 (Filtech)filter, which is already tiny! Supposedly the HAMP filter that exactly corresponds to the Honda 15400-PLM-A01 size (HAMP H15400-PLC-004) has been discontinued and replaced by the smaller PBF filter.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience using these small HAMP filters on the newer Honda 2.4L VTEC engines?

I also don't understand their claim that the smaller HAMP filter reduces oil pressure fluctuations and increases oil pressure about 5 psi over the Honda OEM filter due to the smaller size of the HAMP filter. Can anyone explain this concept to me in a way I can understand?

I have been wondering about HAMP and the small OEM Honda filter as well. I recently purchased two Hondas and am researching what oil and filter to use. The following link has several theories on the HAMP expressed. (It is long, you must scroll down past half way for the most pertinent stuff)

honda-tech

One of the things they say is less wall flex on the filter. Then I found this link to a vendor selling HAMP filters.

IPS

It mentions a "dynamic valve" that adjusts to pressure changes. This just sounds like a bypass valve to me. Maybe it just has a low pressure bypass setting? I too would like to know more if any one can help.

Then I found a guy on E-bay selling the new small Honda filters. His claim was that the small design corrected a "pressure problem". He claimed his info was from a dealer.

quote:

2redhondas:
I have been wondering about HAMP and the small OEM Honda filter as well. ....

Honda brand filters vary - they've used Fram, NipponDenso, Toyo Roki, Filtech, Tennex, and a number of other manufacturers.

There's nothing unique about Honda applications. The same things apply to them that apply to other brands of automobiles:

- there is a trade-off between efficiency and resistance to flow

- there is some trade-off between efficiency and capacity

- a good physical design beats a flimsy one every time

The North Texas Prelude Owners Group tests Honda filters and reports on them once in awhile:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Valves mean "bypass valves" and they come in two flavors: coil springs and leaf springs. They all do the same basic job.

My personal preference is for Mobil 1 filters, but Purolator's Pure One, the K&N, and a number of other filters have their own merits and show good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back