Hunter Auto 28 Tire Changer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a safe way to clamp newer style aluminum rims with a plastic face using this machine? The particular wheel I wonder about is 19" aluminum rim off 2011 Taurus. it appears if you clamp it all the way down on this machine that it would bend or crack where the center cap snaps in anyone have any ideas is there an alternate adapter that could be used?

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
Is there a safe way to clamp newer style aluminum rims with a plastic face using this machine? The particular wheel I wonder about is 19" aluminum rim off 2011 Taurus. it appears if you clamp it all the way down on this machine that it would bend or crack where the center cap snaps in anyone have any ideas is there an alternate adapter that could be used?

I'm thinking your concern is unwarranted. I'll bet the machine doesn't clamp as hard as you think.

But I would ask Hunter directly.

I am assuming you are talking about a chrome clad wheel, which are a pain. I have a Corghi master tire machine that clamps thru the wheel center like the hunter. YES it will crack the wheel near center cap opening. I am sure Hunter has a nice expensive adapter for that. I have not tried it yet, but I thought of trying a pin plate adapter from my wheel balancer to clamp wheel with the lug holes. You also need to use a pin plate clamping the wheel to the balancer also for the same reason. Chrome clad wheels where a bad idea. Just a hubcap glued to the wheel that you can never remove.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back