Ryobi GC720R Cultivator Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this attached to an electric motor instead of gas. Been using it for nearly 20 yrs and it's worked fine. It's worked well despite the concrete that goes for 'soil' here. Mostly red clay and small/med/large smooth river stones.

I was tilling up a new bed for Spring, when the tiller stopped rotating. Upon disassembly, I found the "driver", part number 791-180152, which is nylon and accepts a square spring-driveshaft, had been stripped out round due to use.

I took it to my favorite mower shop, they found the above part in their manual, but said it was discontinued. They checked a few of their regular parts sites and no joy.

So I brought it home and tried to think of a way to return the round hole back to square. Finally settled on drilling four holes at 90° from each other, threading in 8x32 screws, then slicing off the excess with a MotoTool. It worked for awhile before failing. Perhaps I need 8 screws (2 per flat side) to absorb the torque?

Evidently it was slipping quite a bit because when I fixed it and fired it up, it was really spinning like mad, even on LOW.

I'll post a picture of the 'driver' later. I might have to machine a new one out of nylon, delrin or even aluminum on my mini-lathe. Was also considering using JB weld to permanetly join the two parts. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

Much thanks! Perhaps you found that down in the search results? I kept seeing "discontinued".

I added another screw only to discover that the torque was now being transferred to another weak link where an aluminum socket was meeting a hardened-steel drive-shaft-insert. Guess which one eventually won?

So, I went a rented a gas powered tiller to finish up.

There may be a way to fix this thing, as I use the power unit for my weed wacker as well. It's made in the USA and served me well for the past 20+ years I've used it. Can't complain at all. It's just flat worn out.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Googled the part number, one store lists it as "in stock"

http://lavernepowerequipment.com/mtd-791-180152-driver-electric-t

"In stock" turned out to be a false positive when I called them up. I've also called numerous local places and still no joy.

So I'm going to make one on my mini-lathe. I have both delrin & aluminum rod stock. Brass would also be a good choice as well. I might even post some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back