Pennzoil platinum-ultra comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a question not trying to start anything. I read some of the Q & A about the the new oil from pennzoil, I have been using amsoil for the last 12 years because i get it a a good price and never had any issues. The buick gets amsoil 5w30 ss and the subbie gets xl 0w20. If there is soemthing "better" on the market i am always willing to try it. I really dont understand all the numbers or what most of them mean when comparing oils. How do you think the two brands of oil compare at both of the differant weights? If one is better for my climtae NE Wisconsin which generally is cold winters and hot summers. Thanks

Unless you're getting a super deal on the XL, Id consider trying one of the new GTLs for the subaru. But I don't think you can do better than the SS line of oils, so Id stick with that in the buick, personally.

A year ago you would have got a different answer. Forget the PU, now it seems no better than any other synthetic.
Pennzoil threw the baby out with the bathwater with this new neutered version IMO.

49.gif

IF you can get Amsoil at wholesale, why not upgrade from XL to their Signature Series 0W-20 for the Subaru?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
IF you can get Amsoil at wholesale, why not upgrade from XL to their Signature Series 0W-20 for the Subaru?

Absolutely. No reason buying amsoil and not paying a couple dollars more to get signature series

The main reason to use the Pennzoil is its good oil and if you take into account their rebates you can save on gas 1$ off up to 20 gallons and i believe they have mail in rebates as well. I think that makes the Pennzoil a worthy option.

Of the two new oils I think Platinum is a better deal than Ultra. The old Ultra was better, especially when it was on clearance for less than $3/qt.

You're already using some of the best products available. Unless price has become an issue why change.
The only reason I quit using amsoil was cost. When I can get jugs for 22 bucks I cannot justify paying double for amsoil when I was running 10k drains.
I can get 10k drains with pp/qsud/PU/Castrol and I can get these jugs on sale for at the very most 30 bucks.
I can't get sso for less than 10 delivered. So my wallet made the choice for me.
If it was more affordable I'd still be using it and I was happy using the stuff. My truck using sso with 150k was absolutely spotless and there was no wear to be felt or seen on the cam nor any of the valve train.
I put a new comp can in at 150k as well as new pushrods and 1.7 rockers.
And to be honest it was only after I quit using amsoil that I noticed the engine had piston slap.

Buy whatever is cheapest for the oci you're doing.

Most oils will perform identically although some will last longer.

And unless you do a UOA or two, you don't really have an idea of how long you can go on an oil and whether one is better than another in terms of wear.

I was just curious. Im happy with amsoil. The buick gets changed every 8-12 months and the subaru every 5-7 months. Never had had any issues just wondering about the new Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back