Any good but cheap toilets from Lowe's or Home Dep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any 3.5 gallon if you can still find them.
I have an old American Standard 5 gallon that will take a whole roll and your underwear too if you get too close to it.
lol.gif

I fitted it with a 1/2 flush valve, its a monster. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-11-01/features/1998305189_1_toilets-article-quotes-bad-apple

Last edited:
Kohler are OK, also use a lot of Gerber.

The low flow thing is ridiculous, were not the desert in New England we have plenty of water, I wish we could still get normal toilets.

Last edited:
I have an older 1.6 gallon flush, that you have to courtesy flush in order not to clog. It's an American Standard.

I also have a 2 year old 1.6 gallon flush Kohler bought for $110 at Home Depot. I have tried to wreck it, but it has taken everything I could throw at it and come back and asked for more.

It seems the new 1.6 gallon flush versions are way better than older ones.

The statistic is that the 1.6 GPF toilets will pay for themselves within the first year of ownership due to saving so much water.
With the EPA cutting down on where we can build aquifers and the population increasing exponentially this is a good thing.
I don't typically care for anything "green", but these toilets save money, and seem to last a long time.

I haven't done any repairs to the one that came with the house, the American Standard is at least 10 years old, and the new one is 2 years old and works just as well as the day I bought it.

I think Home Depot and Lowes both let you use their toilets for free
smile.gif

I got the Champion 4 from American Standard...yep the one where you can flush 16 golf balls. Never plugs. The toilet seat bracket broke about the first week and is CHEAP. That has been the only problem so far. I don't think you can get it for under $100.00 though.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I got the Champion 4 from American Standard...yep the one where you can flush 16 golf balls. Never plugs. The toilet seat bracket broke about the first week and is CHEAP. That has been the only problem so far. I don't think you can get it for under $100.00 though.

I have the same one now for close to a year and no issues (clogs)!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

The low flow thing is ridiculous, were not the desert in New England we have plenty of water, I wish we could still get normal toilets.

I'm on Lake Erie and the water that is used is from the lake and the water that is flushed returns to the lake about 4 miles away. (downstream, we aren't stupid
cool.gif
)

Where do the politicians think that flushed water goes?? ... to Mars ??!!

We put in a cheap ~1.3GPF "EnviroFlush" toilet from Menards in the basement last year. That sucker dumps the water fast and could probably flush a live turkey if I tried.

American Standard gets pretty decent reviews. I have multiple rental units so I've bought several toilets over the years. The worst case is when they start to run and the tenants don't tell you until the water bill comes in. Then a new toilet is way cheaper than the water bill. Cadet 3 or 4 or even Champion should be fine. Only problem I've had with Kohler is that they use a different flush valve, some type of canister valve so you can't just throw in a Fluid Master kit when it starts to leak or run. If you want to go nuts, you can get a Toto Drake which is one of the best toilets out there, but they're a little over $200 mail order so it's only good if it's for your own home, I wouldn't put it in a rental. Also I'd stay away from Glacier Bay anything, that's Home Depot's in house brand. It's only good if you're planning on selling the place in a couple of years, a friend put in 3 of them, one of them leaked/ran right out of the box. The quality just isn't there for the price you pay. When it comes to any fixture that involves water, you should always go with a brand name, most of them have a lifetime warranty.

Youtube has videos of people installing cheap toilets and seeing how they work.

Terrylove.com has a board here people post their reviews.

Visit your local plumbing stores, because they might have a high quality product with a much lower price.

Look for a toilet that uses a simple 3 inch wide flapper. You will have to replace the flapper every few years, and if you get one of those odd devices that replace flappers, you may end up paying a huge price, and have to search everywhere to find your part.

I have a Mansfield Cascade. It works fairly well, and I paid $200, but I heard that some stores have it for less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back