Chevrolet Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jigen
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: pbm
Does the Sonic suffer from the same coolant smell/coolant loss issues that the Cruze does?

....Apparently it does....

http://www.sonicownersforum.com/forum/1-...er-stumped.html

Off-topic

Is this a pretty wide spread issue? Very odd to see this now because my co-worker is actually dealing with this problem on his 2011 Cruze. He just mentioned it to me today.

This is a widespread problem on the Cruze that seems to have several possible causes
(just look at the hundreds of pages of posts on the Cruzetalk forum). Chevrolet has
NOT been forthcoming about this problem. It is not normal to have to top off coolant every few thousand miles or to constantly smell coolant. Since the Sonic uses the same mechanicals as the Cruze I assumed it might have the same issue and apparently it does.

GM has yet to redesign the system which means that 2014 Cruzen have the same defective designed coolant system. I had actually shopped for a Sonic 1.4T M/T before realizing this problem exists. When people inquire about my Cruze I tell them it's a nice car but I wouldn't buy it again...GM should learn that sometimes it's actually cheaper to fix the problem than to deny it exists.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Did it have cruise control?

Yes it did...

Hmm...Sonic for ~1200 mile road trip, yes or no?

Yes it did...

Get a Cruze if wanting to stay with GM. Unless you need the footprint of the Sonic, the quieter and more grown-up Cruze will do just about everything better.

For the coolant issue, it's not as prevalent as CruzeTalk makes it out to be. A few folks had crummy experiences and posted a lot about it. There are several documented fixes that work to eliminate the smell. The easiest one is to siphon off some coolant from the surge tank until the tank is halfway full. If there is a coolant smell in the cabin with the heater on for a 2011-2012 Cruze, that's a grease in the HVAC system outgassing. GM fail on that one.

If a 1.4T powered Chevy is losing coolant, start with the thermostat and the water pump. Water pumps are known to fail randomly on 2011-2013 cars, and will be replaced with an updated one under powertrain warranty. If there's a coolant smell after replacing the water pump, lower the level in the surge tank to get the smell to disappear. Thermostats affect a much smaller subset of cars.

I owned a Sonic for two years. I think it is a really nice small car. It is quiet, rides like a much larger car, is comfortable, and has plenty of power. The only problem was that it was just to small for our needs. That was our mistake and no fault of the car. We did have the disappearing coolant, and the water pump was replaced quickly under warranty.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

Yes it did...

Get a Cruze if wanting to stay with GM. Unless you need the footprint of the Sonic, the quieter and more grown-up Cruze will do just about everything better.

I don't really want to stay with GM. (In fact, having driven a Cruze, I'd much rather have a Focus, a 200, or a Kia Rio.) I just figure that a Sonic would get great mileage...if I can't get my first two choices for a rental (a Charger or a Panther car), I want the one that will be the cheapest to feed that has cruise control.

Yes it did...

Sure if your not sitting I the back. Very comfortable to drive, I didn't sit anywhere else. I had the sedan.

My Sonic 1.4t auto fuel economy hits a brick wall above 65 mph - but decent ride even for its 17" wheels - incomparably better than the Aveo.

And if anyone has coolant leaks its usually covered under the powertrain warranty. I haven't done my pump yet but I did do my AC compressor for a high pitched whistling noise (not to be confused with normal compressor whirr).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back