2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8 - Cooling Systems Problems - Advice Sought Regarding Repairs

Why are you trying to release the clamps? I could be wrong, but those look like quick connect fittings. Use a pick tool to lift the metal retainer surrounding the plastic fitting and pull.
I found a YouTube video for a 2013 Sonic. Looks identical. You're absolutely right. Thanks so much - this will save me a lot of grief.

Which replacement thermostat housing would you use - the AC Delco plastic part, or one of the aluminum replacements?

I found a YouTube video for a 2013 Sonic. Looks identical. You're absolutely right. Thanks so much - this will save me a lot of grief.

Which replacement thermostat housing would you use - the AC Delco plastic part, or one of the aluminum replacements?

Are you a gambling man? Kidding, it doesn't matter. Use whatever fits the owner's budget. OE plastic, Dorman "upgrade", whatever. I promise, at some point you will be doing the repair again.

Are you a gambling man? Kidding, it doesn't matter. Use whatever fits the owner's budget. OE plastic, Dorman "upgrade", whatever. I promise, at some point you will be doing the repair again.
Hey, 10-1/2 years on the original stuff isn't bad.

Do you think the deterioration of the original coolant caused the hoses and the plastic thermostat housing to fail prematurely?

While we're talking about the Sonic, this thing eats stabilizer-bar links.

If I recall correctly, the originals were replaced under warranty, a set from Midas failed (although they were installed incorrectly), and I've installed two sets. They're clunking and knocking again.

Are these cars typically so hard on these links?

If so, is there a brand you can recommend?

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!

Hey, 10-1/2 years on the original stuff isn't bad.

Do you think the deterioration of the original coolant caused the hoses and the plastic thermostat housing to fail prematurely?

While we're talking about the Sonic, this thing eats stabilizer-bar links.

If I recall correctly, the originals were replaced under warranty, a set from Midas failed (although they were installed incorrectly), and I've installed two sets. They're clunking and knocking again.

Are these cars typically so hard on these links?

If so, is there a brand you can recommend?

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!

Coolant has no effect on plastic, to my knowledge. Plastic cooling parts fail due to the temperature and pressure swings they're subject to.

As for the links: just install a set of Moog K750630 and keep them greased. They will outlast the car.

id go with the aluminum housing, I've never had a problem with dorman aluminum parts, although their castings is kinda rough looking the parts work fine

Removed the coolant reservoir and hoses without too much trouble - both rad hoses, both heater hoses, and the one that runs from the coolant reservoir over and down to the rad. @14Accent, thanks for the tip on the heater hose disconnects at the firewall - piece of cake when you know the trick!

Tomorrow I'll try to remove the thermostat housing.

Lots of sludge in all the hoses so far.

Firewall, with heater hoses successfully removed
20230414_154917_HDR.jpg

Mouth of the coolant reservoir
20230414_154908.jpg

Reservoir cap. (Yes, I did remove the battery's negative terminal shortly after. It was a bear to remove.)
20230414_160601_HDR.jpg

Goop in the rad
20230414_163145.jpg

Lower rad hose
20230414_164443.jpg

Tomorrow I'm hoping to pull the thermostat housing. Watched several YouTube videos this evening - it appears almost inevitable that one of the connectors breaks. I'll try to be extra careful.

Got the thermostat housing off. Time to order parts now.

The coolant-temperature sensor looks nasty - glad it worked well enough to warn my friend when the temperature went up.
20230415_123439_HDR.jpg

Here's the thermostat housing removed. Note the one plastic pipe I broke (at the lower right).
20230415_130211.jpg

I'll clean up the battery terminals - I assume the +ve will be as bad.
20230415_123214.jpg

I watched several YouTube videos yesterday of people replacing the thermostat housing.

Invariably they either broke the vacuum hose fitting on the top of the thermostat housing, or found it already broken. I took great care to not break it (discovered how to remove the annoying and unintuitive plastic clip) but in fiddling around with it broke the brittle plastic line. GRRR! But it's not a big deal - I think I can repair it OK.
20230415_130254.jpg

Here's the side of the block where the thermostat housing attaches. You can see more goo in the port:
20230415_130231_HDR.jpg

that goo looks like what happens when you mix dex cool and iat green coolant. it could also just be old dex cool

I would replace the coolant pump while your in there. Most likely got plastic in it and if your using OE parts might as well to try and reduce the likelihood of you revisiting the cooling system at a later date

I would replace the coolant pump while your in there. Most likely got plastic in it and if your using OE parts might as well to try and reduce the likelihood of you revisiting the cooling system at a later date
This is the water pump, right? Agreed, it likely has a plastic impeller.

I'll check with my friend, but money is an issue.

a dead water pump can be an expensive repair indeed. here the bearings died and it ate the timing cover (wouldn't happen with a plastic pump though)

Attachments

• IMG_20230410_085302109.jpg
    IMG_20230410_085302109.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
The Gates 12111 is the only heater hose listed. I wonder if two identical ones are used.
Hmm looking at the GM online store it lists two different part numbers but ones discontinued.

95935067 which is the discontinued one. It’s the outlet hose to heater.

96958209 which is available. It’s the inlet hose to heater

You could measure the size of the pipe you need and see if some straight but flexible pipe could be used. Just make sure it’s not going to rub on anything.

It looks like the Gates equivalents are the 12109 (not listed at Rock Auto) and the 12111.

Both are available through Parts Avatar. Phew!

Screenshot_20230416-072701.jpg

Screenshot_20230416-072649.jpg

Back