Wix 51522 now w/ black rubber ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Wix filters now for some time. The latest 51522 that I bought for my GM 5.3L has a black ADBV. I don't believe this to be old stock since it was also in the new, "cheap", shrink-rap packaging. Anyone else notice this. Makes me wonder if they're cutting corners at more than just the packaging.

quote:

Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve - Stays flexible in extreme temperatures, improves oil flow and keeps oil in filter to prevent engine destroying dry starts. Also provides lasting protection to meet new vehicle manufacturers longer recommended oil change schedules. Nitrile valves can harden and become ineffective over time.

This is what Wix still has on their website. Hopefully they aren't sacrificing the quality of their filters just to save a few cents.

quote:

I frequently visit a website devoted to the topic of automotive maintenance ... a recent poster reported they had purchased a new WIX oil filter (part #51522) and this filter had a black nitrile anti-drainback valve versus the silicon one we expect from WIX. Can you offer an explanation for this?

I sent this question to WIX ... we'll see what their reply is.

Not a problem ... I'm very interested in this as after lengthy research I determined the WIX filter was the best filter for my needs. I've used WIX for over a year now and don't look forward to going through the research all over again. Honestly I don't care for many other filters out there. The advantages of WIX filters (IMHO) are:

1. Relatively easy to find, unlike Baldwin, Hastings, S2000 filter
2. Reasonable cost, $5.50 at O'Reily
3. Solid, durable case
4. Synthetic enhanced media with good filtration and good flow qualites. Note I said good not exceptional, WIX has a good balance of flow and filtration. Usually a trade off, i.e. great flow at the expense of filtration and great filtration at the expense of flow
5. Bypass valve in the front of the filter vice the back
6. And of course silicone ADBV, or not???

My last 2 Napa gold 1040 bought today were black with the napa sticker on it in a shrink wrap, ADBV is red silicone , the seal is black rubber
6.33 canadian each + tax !

[ October 19, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Baveux ]

quote:

new, "cheap", shrink-rap packaging

I wonder if your parts store simply sold you one of the filters out of a 12 pack Master Pack carton. Wix sells the high volume part numbers either individually boxed or in cases of 12 with each filter just shrink wrapped in clear plastic.

Was the filter painted white or black? White was their traditional color, but some have reported seeing black painted ones recently.

My *guess* is that your parts store sold you some fairly old stock from before Wix switched to silicone.

John

quote:

My *guess* is that your parts store sold you some fairly old stock from before Wix switched to silicone.

John, this could be true. Would certainly be some very old stock as WIX made this switch some time ago. Another explanation could be that this is one of the filter applications WIX outsources ... I believe I've read previous threads indicating WIX does outsource for some vehicle applications.

I just bought a Wix 51516 today with A silicone ADBV..
cheers.gif

The 51522 I bought was white. I bought it from a Savage in Franklin, OH. I bought another Wix at the same time, different part number, and it had a silicone ADBV.

Ummm, I could be out of line here, but the colour of an elastomer means bugger all when it comes to the type of material it is.

As an example, I've seen Viton 'O' rings come in black, green, brown, etc.
Nitrile in all the colours of the rainbow.
Just because the ADBV is now black, doesn't mean the type of material has changed.

Just my $0.02

Rick.

just picked one up today and it has a silicone, its not the same part# as in the thread title though.

-

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
Ummm, I could be out of line here, but the colour of an elastomer means bugger all when it comes to the type of material it is.

SHAME ON YOU! You've committed the unpardonable sin on this site of exposing the dirty little secret that the orange-red ADBV and gasket boosters have conveniently chosen to ignore. (Assemble at dawn for fifty lashes with an orange-red cat-'o-nine tails before the troops, followed by dishonorable mustering out along with your stash of black ADBV and gasket oil filters!)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
SHAME ON YOU! You've committed the unpardonable sin on this site of exposing the dirty little secret that the orange-red ADBV and gasket boosters have conveniently chosen to ignore. (Assemble at dawn for fifty lashes with an orange-red cat-'o-nine tails before the troops, followed by dishonorable mustering out along with your stash of black ADBV and gasket oil filters!)

Now that the cat is out of the bag
wink.gif
... Everytime I read about the colors of the ADBVs, I'm reminded of the black high temperature silicone parts I've designed.
grin.gif

Most of the paint, plastic, and rubber contains fillers, even some clear finishes. Mostly these materials reduce cost while somewhat reducing properties. Cheap paint that doesn't hide has too much limestone and too little titanium dioxide in it. Vinyl, which I know best, can be loaded with ground limestone to the limits of processablity without reducing the tensile strength much. It even improves the fire resistance. The one exception to this is carbon black in rubber. It actually strengthens the rubber. Usually is cheaper to reach any given compromise of properties using a black rubber than other colors. Other colors are used for many different reasons, color coding, visibility, visual appeal, etc.

We may need to wait for the answer from WIX to know. Even then it may be double talk.

Try burning a little piece. A singed hair smell means nitrile or some other nitrogen compound. A green flame when put in a gas flame on a copper wire means chlorine, maybe Neoprene. Don't remember any simple test for silicone.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:

I say we make him use a FRAM filter for 5000 miles oil change interval!!!

quote:

I say we make him use a FRAM filter for 5000 miles oil change interval!!!

now thats just plain nasty.
shocked.gif

At least I should be safe for a while, as I've never seen a Fram filter here in Oz.
grin.gif

Rick.

I went back to the Savage where I bought this filter. He checked his stock and the other 51522 filters had black ADBVs as well. Other models did as well. It was not isolated to just the 51522s. The reason for the shrink wrapping is that these are MP, or multipack, filters. That is just how they are packed. I asked if these could be old stock. He commented that the 51522 is a newer filter designed for the GM 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L engines. I think it's been longer than that since Wix went to silicone ADBVs. Could they have switched to a black silicone?

just got back from my local wix distributor who was nice enough to let me borrow the filter for a few mins so i could take pics.

-

-

i have a few more also, so just let me know if you want em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back