A new (lightly used) car for my wife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mcrn
Are the transmissions the same in both years?

Yes, WA580 (aka NAG1) automatic 5-speed in both. The 2014 gets the ZF with 3 more gears and a corresponding bump in gas mileage.

Congrats on your purchase! Unlike many here I was always taught that how much you paid was YOUR business and not mine. Glad you found something that got the Wife lit up and sounding happy.

That NAG1 is nearly bulletproof, we run that in my community at 500 rwhp with excellent durability at the strip. Nuttin' wrong there. As for the 3.6 cylinder head issue, it normally develops before the mileage you have so it is an unlikely threat. Especially when you consider it appears in less than 1% of production.

Good choice. We like ours. There weren't any major changes between '11 and '13. If anything, they keep getting cheaper, and offering less options on the Laredos. Check KBB, Edmunds, and NADA to make sure the '13 worth the extra $6K. I wouldn't really worry about the heads. Failure rate was 0.5% last time I checked.

The verdict is in: We're sticking with the '11.

The 13 came in today so we went and drove it, looked it over very thoroughly. Its a Limited as opposed to a Laredo, but the only quantitative upgrades over the '11 were:

Nav
Sunroof
Heated rear seats
HID projector headlamps
Electric power steering pump
Upgraded cylinder heads.

The only big plusses for me were the Nav and HID headlamps.

The electric PS is a minus (drives fine, but I've known several Challenger owners who've had to have warranty work on the pump unit.)

Don't give a rip about the sunroof or heated rear seats, and everything indicates that if the cylinder head problem hasn't popped up by 25k miles, it won't. Its also just between .5% and 1% anyway.

The other minus was that my wife and both thought the '13 just seemed slightly harder worn than the '11. A couple of HVAC buttons were sticky, and while it was still near perfect, it just had a more hammered-on feel inside. Nothing we could really put a finger on, but more a sum of a thousand little intangibles.

So when all things are added up- the 11 came out slightly ahead. Done.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back