New pennzoil platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Is it made ENTIRELY from natural gas ?

No.

It is a blend of various base oils with GTL being a high percentage of the base oil mix.

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: AmishFury
i recently saw the new labels on 5W30 at my WM... and had to snap a quick pic... the 10w30 and 5w20 on either side of this were the old label (as was the 0w20)

DSC_0347.JPG

Yes I saw this oil today at walmart is its very very thin..

is this for hybirds or s omthing?

What do you mean by thin?

Have you analyzed the viscosity at 40C and 100C?

I doubt its any "thinner" than any other 5w20 on the market. All of them have the consistency of water to me anyway.

I hope the new Ultra products has the same low NOACK as the current stuff. I just switched over for this reason.

Last edited:
Quote:
All of them have the consistency of water to me anyway.

I never understood this comment.

Nothing has the consistency of water other than water.

If a 5W30 synthetic has the same viscosity specs as a mineral oil 5W30, IT IS NOT THINNER; it flows better at cold temps and doesn't thin out in hot temps as mineral oil would.

I just returned from the 2014 O'Reilly Manager's Conference and Shell had a booth announcing that Pennzoil Ultra has been made with natural gas since the summer of '13 but that they were just announcing that fact and would begin promotions of this in April. According to the reps, unmatched purity compared with "extracted" oil. It's crystal clear when refined but gets the amber hue when the additive pack is added. I tried to find out the process used to get the oil from the gas, but the reps were unable to tell me the mechanism.

Mike

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
If a 5W30 synthetic has the same viscosity specs as a mineral oil 5W30, IT IS NOT THINNER; it flows better at cold temps and doesn't thin out in hot temps as mineral oil would.

I would swear you're intimating that a synthetic 5w-30 has a higher VI than a conventional 5w-30.
wink.gif

GTL (gas to liquid) is a pretty old technology though I'm sure the current process is pretty impressive.

Also, mineral oil is clear too... until the additive is added.

There are at least two other threads on this topic.

Let's lock this one!

Third Discussion on this Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MichaelDCRogers
Wonderful....

...How do Gas to liquids work...What are they so good at, on the molecular level, that allows them to semi-rival PAOs?

Background:

Quote:
5. Making GTL (gas to liquids) products

The plant creates a range of products from natural gas that would otherwise be produced from oil.

Using another Shell proprietary catalyst, the long hydrocarbon molecules from the GTL reactor are contacted with hydrogen and cut (cracked) into a range of smaller molecules of different length and shape. Distillation separates out the products with different boiling points.

GTL PRODUCTS:

GTL Naphtha is used as a chemical feedstock for plastics manufacture.

GTL Kerosene can be blended with conventional Jet Fuel (up to 50%) for use in aviation – known as GTL Jet Fuel – or used as a home heating fuel.

GTL Normal paraffins are used for making more cost-effective detergents.

GTL Gasoil is a diesel-type fuel that can be blended into the global diesel supply pool.

GTL Base oils are used to make high-quality lubricants.

Source:

Shell GTL

The Process:

GTL Process

Edited by MolaKule (02/03/14 06:06 PM)

Last edited:
Shell was using GTL through mid 2013, which is when you saw the major drop in NOACK volatility. It's definitely a top tier oil, arguably the best overall now.

Originally Posted By: buster
Shell was using GTL through mid 2013, which is when you saw the major drop in NOACK volatility. It's definitely a top tier oil, arguably the best overall now.

Great oil from a great company! Cutting edge, and a site sponsor!

If you're talking about PP 0W-20 I would certainly argue with that conclusion. Yes the 9% Noack would indicate that GTL base oils are likely being used in part but I would still rank it close to the bottom of my list of suitable oils for a 0W-20 application.

Originally Posted By: richport29
So will the Ulta Platinum have a higher percentage of gtl?

No....the difference between PP and PU GTL is not the base oils, they are the same. It's the add pack.

befits of Pureplus GTL oils? NOACK of 10% and less. Typical Group II & III base stocks cannot achieve (I'm not sure about group IV - PAO. Someone will have to help me there).
Lower viscosity at very low temps (-13f to -40f)
Better viscosity control under severe oxidative test conditions compared with using Group II & III base oils.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

If you're talking about PP 0W-20 I would certainly argue with that conclusion. Yes the 9% Noack would indicate that GTL base oils are likely being used in part but I would still rank it close to the bottom of my list of suitable oils for a 0W-20 application.

I was generally referring to the Ultra line. I would put it at the top of my list because of the overall formulation. Ultra too. Oils have to do many things, so it's important to look at the entire package.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I was generally referring to the Ultra line. I would put it at the top of my list because of the overall formulation. Ultra too. Oils have to do many things, so it's important to look at the entire package.

I agree and the viscosity characteristics of an oil are at the top of the list of things to consider. Noack as long as it's in line is no more than a foot note spec' in terms of importance.

Make no mistake, I consider GTL base oils to be a great low cost alternative to expensive PAOs, but just because they're being used doesn't automatically make a great oil.
That said, the fact that SOPUS is using GTL base oils to formulate PYB 5W-20 has to render it one of the best "conventional" buys on the market. Obviously they've got the stuff (GTL) coming out of their ears.
They just missed the boat in reformulating PP 0W-20.

The PDS for Ultra that shows low Noack volatility (5-6%) is dated May 2012. So GTL presumably has been part of the formulation since at least then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh

The PDS for Ultra that shows low Noack volatility (5-6%) is dated May 2012. So GTL presumably has been part of the formulation since at least then.

Again, there is no proof any GTL is being used in PYB.

There are many ways to make a good low NOACK oil without using some esoteric base oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back