Is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5/30 Now HTO-06 Spec Approved?

I have an 2007 Acura RDX which has the 2.3L Turbo in it. I want to make sure the oil I use is spec'd for the turbo. I see they say to look for HTO-06 spec, and on the bottles of PUP I have, it does show that on the back. And the bottle does say its good for turbos. But I read so many older posts saying PUP is not approved for these Honda turbos, and even Pennzoil's site does not show my year of vehicle under their oil selection section, but does show later years without the turbo. I have used PUP a few times in the past in a previous vehicle, but it wasn't a turbo. So my conclusion is, has PUP been recently formulated to meet Honda's spec, or is it misinformation. I know the regular Platinum is ok. But I already have 5/30 bottles of PUP. Can anyone ellaborate on what is the real status of this oil for my vehicle?

So I take it PUP has been reformulated then? In the past people wouldnt recommend PUP for use in RDXs.

Apparently HTO-06 was a test for turbo deposits with aged oil. There's no equivalent test in API SP, but PUP now has a Dexos 1 Gen 3 rating, which includes a turbo deposit test. I'd use it and not worry about it.

Apparently HTO-06 was a test for turbo deposits with aged oil. There's no equivalent test in API SP, but PUP now has a Dexos 1 Gen 3 rating, which includes a turbo deposit test. I'd use it and not worry about it.
Ok that is helpful info. I didnt want to have to take back the oil I got and look for another sale on synthetic again. Thanx!

Where did you see that PUP has a Dexos 1 Gen 3 license? Regular PP has it, but I was unaware that PUP now carried it.

Where did you see that PUP has a Dexos 1 Gen 3 license? Regular PP has it, but I was unaware that PUP now carried it.
You may be right. I don't see it in the spec sheets. The Pennzoil website shows "Dexos 1" certification for PUP, but doesn't specify which version, and if it's not shown on the bottle, I'd assume it doesn't have it.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 15.26.45.jpg
Screenshot 2023-10-09 15.26.10.jpg

I have an 2007 Acura RDX which has the 2.3L Turbo in it. I want to make sure the oil I use is spec'd for the turbo. I see they say to look for HTO-06 spec, and on the bottles of PUP I have, it does show that on the back. And the bottle does say its good for turbos. But I read so many older posts saying PUP is not approved for these Honda turbos, and even Pennzoil's site does not show my year of vehicle under their oil selection section, but does show later years without the turbo. I have used PUP a few times in the past in a previous vehicle, but it wasn't a turbo. So my conclusion is, has PUP been recently formulated to meet Honda's spec, or is it misinformation. I know the regular Platinum is ok. But I already have 5/30 bottles of PUP. Can anyone ellaborate on what is the real status of this oil for my vehicle?
🥱🥱

So I take it PUP has been reformulated then? In the past people wouldnt recommend PUP for use in RDXs.
Given that the Honda spec was released back in 2006ish, pretty much anything today is better. There's a reason Honda dropped it and just recommends 'standard' api ratings these days, they didn't feel the need to update it since everyone caught up.

Ok. When I talked to my Acura tech today, he said to make sure the oil is rated for the Honda turbo, or I'll destroy the turbo. Him saying that assumes the spec is still relevant today, which is why I posted this.

And on the Pup bottle back side it says GF-6A, which I assume is a follow-up to GF-5? Its all pretty convincing Im ok. I just dont know why the searches on PUP don't have updated posts saying its now ok for turbo'd engines, where as before it wasn't.

Ok that is helpful info. I didnt want to have to take back the oil I got and look for another sale on synthetic again. Thanx!
Even walmart 5w-30 syn is a dexos 1 gen 3oil.
Anything on the shelf,including dino oils are better than hto spec.

As others have said the industry has moved on from HTO-06. The reason the test came about was Honda had found that the TEOST test was not indicative of real-world turbo deposit protection. It was only a good test for new oil but when combustion byproducts entered the used oil, it changed the ability of the oils to be able to adequately protect the turbos. Per Honda's own internal testing, only Mobil 1 met the spec at that time.

May want to take a look at this . V.O.A. of the 5w-30 PLATINUM and ULTRA and talks of the difference . Used the ULTRA 5w-20 with a FRAM Titanium FS9688 ( w/ metal screen ) in the '18 ACCENT from October to May and engine ran smooth .

Last edited:
Back