Massive ABS pipe failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been plumbing for about 28 years, and I've never seen anything like this. At my church, I took on a drain repair job that got a lot bigger than I expected. In a building that has had a lot of changes and additions, the kitchen drain was tied into a fairly ancient cast iron line that bypassed some newer bathroom plumbing. The decision was made (by others) to tie it into the newer plumbing in the mens's room. We planned to find the kitchen drain in the hallway or kitchen and cut it there. As it turned out, we followed the line into the kitchen expecting to tie into the newer ABS drain pipe there. However, when I cut the ABS pipe, it shattered. So we chased it up a little ways and found a wye where the two sink drains connect, and the pipe was cracked on both inlets of the wye.

We ultimately followed the pipe to the wall at each sink, removing cabinets as necessary, and found that all of the horizontal ABS was bad. Not only did we find radial cracks in the pipe, we found a lot of incipient cracking. It was easy to put a framing hammer claw right through the top of the pipe. The pipe went up at a 45 deg. angle into the walls, and the pipe that was at 45 degrees seemed solid. We ended up replacing 15'+ of horizontal 2" pipe, along with fittings. The fittings also seemed sound.

I'm mystified by this. In an internet search, I found that there was a fair amount of defective ABS pipe manufactured in the second half of the '80's, but the date stamp on this pipe indicates 1997. I've dug up a lot of ABS pipe, and never seen this type of failure. The cracks appear to have started at the top of the pipe and worked their way to the bottom. All of the pipe appeared to have proper fall, and there was no evidence of improper bedding or any other installation errors.

I also can't find a manufacturer's name on the pipe. It's marked "Standard ABS COEX Cellular Core," and then some ASTM standards and a date.

I'm guessing that either massive amounts of boiling water have gone down this pipe, or perhaps some really aggressive drain-cleaning chemicals, but I really don't know.

Anybody seen anything like this?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like something chemical attacked the plastic. ABS is generally pretty decent but I wouldn't expect it to have good solvent resistance. From a quick web search for ABS: Poor resistance (not recommended for use with) Strong Acids and Solvents, Ketones, Aldehydes, Esters, and some Chlorinated Hydrocarbons.

Maybe somebody poured the wrong stuff down the drain?
21.gif

Either a chemical reaction or the pipe was exposed to UV sunlight before it was installed.

If I had to guess I'd say that before it was installed it sat around outside in the sunlight for 2-3 years, either at a supply wholesaler's lot or during construction. Or whoever does the housekeeping has been using that sink to pour out their used cleaning materials.

Almost all ABS is "cellular core", a sandwich of solid ABS on the inside and outside with a soft center.

You're looking for the cause of embrittlement.

Science direct says it'll do that if it gets time above 120 degrees Celsius, but you'll have visual indications of it happening (a discoloration to the surface of the pipe where oxygen diffusion is happening). Maybe a white cloudy appearance? The paper calls it "brown", which my eyes see as white.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141391002000459

I'd wager if there's uniform cracking and no discoloration then you're probably looking at a manufacturing defect. You've said it happened both above ground and below ground, and I don't think you've seen a liquid level (you said it's brittle on the top of the pipe). Just strange that the 45 degree pipe didn't suffer.

Maybe take pics and submit to insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back