using redline 5w-20 in my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
It will be fine. If you want peace of mind, buy a quart or redline 40 or 50wt stuff and mix

+1 this..or do a 50-50 mix of 5w30 & 5w20.

Why would you want to make Red Line thicker?

Unbelievable isn't it? There's no reason at all to make Redline 5w20 in this application thicker.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: matrass
not sure of oil temp when towing but the oil pressure is in the 40-50 psi range. at worse I can use this for the fall and winter oci. I do have 4 quarts of redline 0W-30 that I can add to the mix. maybe 5 quarts 5w-20 and 2 quarts 0w-30 for two ocis. would leave me with only two quarts of 5w-20 left over to figure out what to do with. .... also have some PP-5W20 that I have to figure out what to do with.

If you can maintain 50 psi at high rev's (say 3,500 rpm) then the oil is not too light.
If the 5W-20 you have is the old SM or SL version then it is actually heavier than RL 0W-30 so there is no thickening advantage is blending the two, you'll just make the oil lighter on start-up only.

PP 5W-20 is a true light 20 grade oil. This would be an ideal winter use oil and you might even be able to use it straight if you can maintain 50 psi as mentioned above. We have a Corvette member who can maintain 50 psi on the very light TGMO 0W-20 so I'd be surprised if you can't. Or just add a couple of quarts of 5W-30 and you'll be more than fine.

Thanks you for reminding me that I need to keep the numbers of the oil in mind rather than the label on the bottle. the only reason for me to add the 0w-30 would be to use up the for quarts that I have laying around. funny you mention the PP 5w-20 as I have about a case of that laying around that I will not be using in my new Honda. I can mix it with a couple of quarts of 5w-30 as you suggested for the TB.

Last edited:
matrass you're welcome.

You're fortunate to have an oil pressure gauge in your TB because that makes it virtually impossible to knowingly use an oil that is too light.
Even if you run the PP 5W-20 straight in the TB it will still be heavier than optimum on start-up and during warm-up. It will only be as you approach normal operating temp's that the oil will come into the recommended operational viscosity range.
As mentioned at normal operating temp's you should be able to maintain at least 50 psi on fresh PP 5W-20 but as the oil ages it could shear some or you could encounter some fuel dilution or you could experience higher oil temp's during some extreme useage all of which could lower the operational viscosity of the oil. But since you have an OP gauge you'll see it happen and if your hot OP does drop towards 50 psi or even slightly below that known safe figure there is still no need to necessarily change out the oil or otherwise thicken it up especially if the reason is simply higher than normal oil temp's.
You should know that avoiding WOT dramatically lowers the viscosity demands of an engine.
It is only if you are routinely visiting the safe minimum OP level once the oil is up to temperature or if you can't use sustained periods of WOT during some extreme useage like towing a trailer in the summer without testing the min' OP level that would tell you the conditions under which using a heavier oil (a higher HTHSV rating) may be appropriate.

Originally Posted By: matrass
thanks for the opinions so far everybody. not sure of oil temp when towing but the oil pressure is in the 40-50 psi range. at worse I can use this for the fall and winter oci. I do have 4 quarts of redline 0W-30 that I can add to the mix. maybe 5 quarts 5w-20 and 2 quarts 0w-30 for two ocis. would leave me with only two quarts of 5w-20 left over to figure out what to do with. sorry to the person in Canada for not selling it to you. had a couple bad transactions to Canada and do not want to go through the hassle again. also have some PP-5W20 that I have to figure out what to do with.

I don't think the 5 qts 5w20 with 2 qts 0w30 will yield an oil with any higher HTHS viscosity. Old Redline 5w20 before they reformulated last May had the same HTHS as the 0w30. The 4.2L I6 has a reputation for fuel dilution and as a DOHC engine with cam chains, may have a tendency to beat up the oil. Redline 5w20 is as shear-resistant an oil as you can find and has HTHS in the 30-weight range. I just wouldn't try to push it past 6-7000 miles in that engine.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What possible advantage do you see running 5w-20 vs. the specified 5w/10w-30?

The only thing one cold hope to gain from running 5W-20 instead of 5W-30 is a slight gain in fuel economy.

I would use it, no problem.

In fact, it's on my list for my turbocharged Jeep 2.5L project and perhaps even my regular trail Jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back