Advice on what oil filter to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by SkortchGT:
Anyone have any recommendations on what oil filter to use in a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (twin turbo)? I am looking for something widely available, good filtering ability, and EXCELLENT flow/non restrictive. The more high flow, the better. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
smile.gif

How you doin' Skortch?

How's the Rotella working out?

For an over-the-counter widely available oil filter, in regards to oil flow, you can't do much better than the K&N.

I'd recommend it...

The Rotella is working EXCELLENT. I have nothing but good things to say about it, and I can't thank you enough for your recommendation. My car loves this oil. I will continue to use it for a long time, although I will most likely switch to another HDEO oil like a 15W-40 for the summer, when it gets really hot.

I will probably give the K&N oil filter a shot when I run out of the OEM Mitsubishi filters I have lying around. I can't really find any Wix or Napa filters, but Advance Auto sells K&N's and they are right up the street from me.
smile.gif

The Wix# is a 51334, which fits a lot of Hondas.
If you have the room, look at any of the threads about oversize filters for Hondas such as the Purolator L24458, which is about 1" longer.

Skortch: That model uses a typical Honda filter. Therefore I'd suggest the following oversized filters, in no particular order, assuming you can accomodate a filter 1" longer than stock:
PureOne #24458 (est. 175 sq in total media)
Wix/Napa Gold #51568 (243 sq in)
Baldwin #B168 (213 sq in)

If you cannot go longer, the following stock sized filters are good, although there's other superior filters as well:
PureOne #14459 (116 sq in)
Wix/Napa Gold #51334 (134 sq in)

Avoid junk like this: Bosch #3312 (81 sq in). Lastly, I wouldn't worry about "strong and durable" unless the filter is unusually exposed to road debris, if it's used in an industrial or off-road/construction application, or used in an ALL OUT race car (street cars that are occasionally track raced won't stress a filter). Engine oil pressure rarely exceeds 90 psi (half that in some engines), yet all name brand filters are designed for several times that pressure before bursting. For example, ACDelco mentions this statement regarding their oil filters on their website: "Burst strength approximately 200 psi or five times normal engine oil pressure."

K&Ns are certainly good filters, but I did note that Mercruiser's recent study showed PureOne to have 25 micron largest/11 micron smallest media pores, while K&N had 39/19, a pretty substantial difference. I would think that by going from PureOne 14459 to PureOne 24458, bumping up media 50% to 175 sq in in the process, you can have BOTH fine filtration AND good flow.

EDIT: You beat me by 1 minute, Bill!

[ April 15, 2004, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

quote:

Originally posted by TC:

K&Ns are certainly good filters, but I did note that Mercruiser's recent study showed PureOne to have 25 micron largest/11 micron smallest media pores, while K&N had 39/19, a pretty substantial difference. I would think that by going from PureOne 14459 to PureOne 24458, bumping up media 50% to 175 sq in in the process, you can have BOTH fine filtration AND good flow.

Good point, but thats looking at filter restriction only. There are other parts to the filter that the K&N has a flow advantage on.

If flow is your #1 priority, go with the K&N.
If filtering is your #1 priority, go with the Pure 1

Wix and ST are good comprimises.

-T

Yeah, I guess there's two sides to the same coin here. K&Ns have been shown to flow quite well. But the flip side is does a filter such as the oversized PureOne 24458 NOT flow well enough? Don't know the definitive answer, but the internal images of the PureOne base plate, center tube, can/cartridge clearance, etc. don't show anything that would suggest flow restrictive qualities, at least that I can see. PureOne is a restrictive media, but at least in the 24458 compensates by having twice as much total area as a Bosch 3312. With no trash-talkin' intended towards K&N whatsoever -- they're great filters -- I personally prefer something which filters in the PureOne/Mobil 1/Baldwin crowd, down close to single digits in regards to microns.

Anyone have any recommendations on what oil filter to use in a 1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 (twin turbo)? I am looking for something widely available, good filtering ability, and EXCELLENT flow/non restrictive. The more high flow, the better. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
Yeah, I guess there's two sides to the same coin here. K&Ns have been shown to flow quite well. But the flip side is does a filter such as the oversized PureOne 24458 NOT flow well enough? Don't know the definitive answer, but the internal images of the PureOne base plate, center tube, can/cartridge clearance, etc. don't show anything that would suggest flow restrictive qualities, at least that I can see. PureOne is a restrictive media, but at least in the 24458 compensates by having twice as much total area as a Bosch 3312. With no trash-talkin' intended towards K&N whatsoever -- they're great filters -- I personally prefer something which filters in the PureOne/Mobil 1/Baldwin crowd, down close to single digits in regards to microns.

In my filter test, I found the center tube and base plate looked a little more restrictive than other filters.

-T

http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html

Thanks for all the recommendations/info everyone. I really appreciate it. So going with a larger filter might be better? Not sure if anyone has ever seen the stock oil filter for a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, but they are very small. I have used Mobil 1's in the past, however they are pretty expensive, and am not sure if they flow as much as the K&N. The reason I am wanting as much flow as possible with good filtration is because the 6G72 engine is for the most part sensitive to oil pressure/flow. I am trying to think if I have ever seen Bosh, Napa, Wix or Delco filters around. I think there might be some at Strauss Auto, which is a few miles from me.

You can't count on a bigger filter flowing better. Short of actually running a flow test, about all you can do is cut a few open and measure the filter area of your particular application. Even that tells you nothing about the quality of the media.

Some of the small OEM filters have more media packed in them than other, larger filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back