Bye bye PP and PU? Hello QSUD..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
One of the Walmart shelf competitors gets Dexos1 on their 'Dino PCMO'. Then it is a matter of time before the rest follow or suffer.

Agreed. I think that the oil blenders are looking around at each other wondering who the first will be to market their entry level oil as dexos1 compliant. Once that happens, the rest will soon follow suit.

Originally Posted By: Doc Holiday
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Danh
Could be. But if the "new" PYB is anything like the PQIA tested there wouldn't seem to be any reason to market a synthetic blend.

If PYB would pass dexos1, and if Pennzoil would market it as such, then I would agree. NOACK isn't everything, though, and PYB may not meet all of the requirements of dexos1. Right now, the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend is the most affordable dexos1 offering. I doubt that will change as long as PYB is marketed as the entry level product. Even if PYB might indeed meet all of the requirements of dexos1, Pennzoil wouldn't necessarily market it as a dexos1 compliant oil.

How many times can one write dexos1 in one post?

Meeting the "tests" of Dexos in itself isn't good enough. I've been told that GM says it has to be 50% synthetic to be Dexos. That would make sense why no non syn blend oils meets Dexos. Also, don't forget, PZ has a "gold" blend. So confusing for customers as the "Gold" is not Dexos.

Not sure how true that is, since GM's own AC delco oil (mobil) is getting torn to pieces in their DI/turbo'd engines. I'm figuring it's either A) A weak(er) oil or B) not 50% syn..

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
PP appears to have been their full syn sales leader to me by a wide margin... so unless they plan to sell PUP for the same price as Platinum they may be setting themselves up for less market share, not more. JMO.

I'm thinking it will be between the PP and PU price point. It will go upmarket just slightly. and QSUD would be slotted behind it....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
PP appears to have been their full syn sales leader to me by a wide margin... so unless they plan to sell PUP for the same price as Platinum they may be setting themselves up for less market share, not more. JMO.

I'm thinking it will be between the PP and PU price point. It will go upmarket just slightly. and QSUD would be slotted behind it....

I think there's a good chance you are right. If it (or any other syn) is priced higher than M1 at Walmart though it's doomed to get dusty.

Was at Wally last night, and the price difference between PYB and SynBlend was about $.23 per quart. There can't be much difference in the cost of production. Actually when you factor in the cost of the Dexos1 license there is even less cost left for the difference in products.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Was at Wally last night, and the price difference between PYB and SynBlend was about $.23 per quart. There can't be much difference in the cost of production. Actually when you factor in the cost of the Dexos1 license there is even less cost left for the difference in products.

Yep, at least they are using a mix of oils for the Dexos blend...

35.gif

Whatever happens, I'll be waiting to buy PP or QSUD when it goes on sale...

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
35.gif

Whatever happens, I'll be waiting to buy PP or QSUD when it goes on sale...

I'm guessing you mean PP, as QSUD is not going anywhere.

And as for PP, I think it will be more of a phase out with sales first before they clearance it..

Thinking WM might be he only to clearance it right away..

Originally Posted By: richport29
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I hope PP isn't discontinued as it's what I use in my blower car.

Also: "PUP"?

PUP: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

I'm holding out for Pennzoil Super Ultra Diamond Limited Edition.

Pennzoil marketing managers need to stop diluting their brands. It's leading to marketplace confusion.

Originally Posted By: Kira
What major chain? Do tell. Kira

Let's just say it's a chain in my "area" (aka midwest/great lakes)....that's all I'll say...for now.
smile.gif

Meijers??

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: richport29
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I hope PP isn't discontinued as it's what I use in my blower car.

Also: "PUP"?

PUP: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

I'm holding out for Pennzoil Super Ultra Diamond Limited Edition.

Pennzoil marketing managers need to stop diluting their brands. It's leading to marketplace confusion.

Like Mobil's "super" synthetic? A name is a name....

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Originally Posted By: Kira
What major chain? Do tell. Kira

Let's just say it's a chain in my "area" (aka midwest/great lakes)....that's all I'll say...for now.
smile.gif

Meijers??

No comment...
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back