Handgun dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tc1446
You've shot the Sig, it did what you wanted. Theres ur answer.

Word. If I go P229 or SP2022, will it have the same accuracy as the 226? Or will I struggle with it? And are all the 226's the same? That's the last thing I want is to drop $900 on a gun and have it not shoot like that 226.

Wish I could fire the gun I'm going to shoot first, but they don't allow that there.

For carry you want something extremely reliable that goes bang everytime AND in most cases is more accurate than full size models - there is only one in 9mm that meets this criteria : Glock 26 Gen 3 . Yes it's ugly , yes it's dumpy looking but learn to shoot with pinky curled under the grip using Speer Gold Dot 124gr. +p 9mm or Federal 124gr. +p HST 9mm and I would walk through the worst area on earth with zero worries or rise in blood pressure ... I dare you to shoot a Glock 26 Gen 3 and put it through a series of self defense drills and dispute what I have said - it's that good .

Last edited:
You like the sig. It does what you want. Get it. Problem solved. Seems that you are one of those that just doesn't like glocks. I have a buddy that is the same way. No matter how many times I out shot him with my Glock 19 he swore it was junk and felt weird in his hands. To each their own, I say. I actually like the M&P series better than the Glock but that's mainly because their warranty is amazing and my dad is an armorer for them. I would keep the Beretta as well it's a solid platform and I'm sure you could figure something out with the sights. I have a Taurus 99 and really like it.

I will throw my vote to ask for 2nd opinion from a gunsmith to confirm your suspicions before giving up and just buying another gun.

Since this is a car-ish forum, the analogy would be like saying, my car pulls to the left and maybe the engine is making a noise, should i just go buy a different car?

Last edited:
I have had quite a few P226's, and favor the 357SIG chambering, each has been impeccably reliable and extremely accurate. The 9mm shoots soft but I prefer the extra oomph from the 357 as well as the flatter trajectory, and the round works extremely well with the GemTech 9mm suppressors I have.

You can't go wrong with a P226.

I recommend the E2, Dark, or MK25.

Rather than buying new, how about filing the front sight down a bit and applying some cold blue? A LOT cheaper!
(Or an adjustable rear would be nice, too...)
Mike B
PS: if you are stuck on new, take a look at the Springfield XD series.

Last edited:
While you could modify it to suit your needs, why bother unless you really like the firearm. And, everything else about it "fits you" and your needs, likes and so on.

I have no time for firearms that don't work for "me".

I have a number of small firearms that just don't agree with me. They remain in the safe, never to be fired again. As, I don't ever sell or trade in guns for reasons of personal liability. The couple hundred dollar savings is not worth the potential hassle and legal expenses. Choose wisely.

Picked up the SP101 today. Still have the 92FS but a guy is wanting to buy it privately this week for $600.

They only wanted to give me $400 for it at the shop, so I skipped that whole ordeal. Perhaps I'll take that $600, save it up and wait to get a nice P-series Sig. I like my Beretta and maybe someday I'll buy another one in the Inox Compact form, but I think a Sig is just the way to go for me right now.

BTW the SP101 is a pretty sweet piece. Haven't shot it yet but the gun feels and looks AMAZING!

Originally Posted By: Skeet6
Rather than buying new, how about filing the front sight down a bit and applying some cold blue? A LOT cheaper!
(Or an adjustable rear would be nice, too...)

That's what I'd do.

I like my SP101, it is a 3" 357Mag. I put in the next lower rated Wolf spring though, I forget, I want to say it's a 14lb hammer spring stock, and the heaviest spring in the Wolf package is like 11lb. I didn't want to go too light and risk light primer strikes, but since I also own an LCR I couldn't stand the dramatic difference--this one change made the two triggers much closer.

I did find I needed to do a detailed stripping on mine, it had some dried up goop on the yoke. Videos on youtube show how to do it though. Breaks down easily, and boy did it feel better once it was clean.

I don't like shooting magnums in it, but 38 +P is fine. Good gun. I got the chance to shoot the 327Mag version, and that is a version sometimes I think I'd like to have also--sometimes 5 shots doesn't seem like enough.

You know, I thought I'd feel underpowered carrying the SP101 with only 5 shots. But I feel pretty confident with it. Only problem is that it is much different than carrying a Semi-Auto, it is not as comfortable because the cylinder sticks out. I can take it for about 3 hours before I start to get sick of it. At work I can't just drop it, I have to keep carrying it, so I find myself "Adjusting" a little every now and then to make it more comfortable. I'm sure in time it will get better.

You mean, the cylinder sticks into you; or that the bulge on your body bothers you? Can't help you with the former, but most seem to think the latter is not much of a problem, the shape of the gun is broken up and to most people just looks like you've got a bunch of junk in your pocket.

Never really tried IWB or OWB with the SP101. Well, I do when I hike, but only when I have a coat on to conceal. The LCR goes into a pocket, and TBH I generally forget about it.

I have a Sig 228 and I love it...for the range. I thought I wanted a 239 until I picked it up. Its HEAVY. A 229 will be heavier, a 226 heavier still. Then again, there are concrete blocks lighter than the Beretta.

If you are looking at an EDC gun, consider the weight of the gun. You will shoot it occasionally but you deal with the weight every day. I have no experience with the 2022 and internet opinions are all over the map on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back