Power Steering Fluid Temp Guage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy mod of the day. Thermo probe fits perfectly in the hollow tube so why not? Even with a P/S cooler highest temp I've hit was almost 180F.

Maybe I got too much time? I've got plans to fool around with the P/S system. Got an old med-size ATF cooler I could plumb in.

h9wBkQE.jpg

xjL9k8s.jpg

Hah! Yes that is very cool. You do have too much time on your hands, but what the hey.

In the late '60s and into the '70s Ford had a power steering cooler mounted right alongside the pumps on their full size cars and other models, too. I had one that I mounted on several of my big-block, mid-sized Mopars, that had PS. Though it really didn't accomplish much as far as lowering the PS fluid temps.

There is an old man living next to my parents who has a 70's Power Wagon. He uses an A/C condenser as a transmission cooler and he also said he runs used motor oil in the tranny.

I noticed on Toyota trucks the P/S line loops in front of the radiator support air dam to cool the fluid. The line on my Mercedes goes all the way across the bottom of the radiator as a air cooling system.

I put a 4 tube Hayden cooler on my PS in the Genesis Coupe 2L. For some reason Hyundai ran the small cooling bypass hose through the PS pump bracket, using a metal tube there. I've see the PS fluid at over 200F after a road session before the cooler, 175F after.

The drifters end up burning up the pump without additional cooling. From the factory all the hard lines are aluminum and there is a loop of aluminum tubing on the return line in front of the radiator. Very poor design all over.

oil-and-ps-cooler-with-horns-relocated.jpg

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Crazy mod of the day. Thermo probe fits perfectly in the hollow tube so why not? Even with a P/S cooler highest temp I've hit was almost 180F.

Maybe I got too much time? I've got plans to fool around with the P/S system. Got an old med-size ATF cooler I could plumb in.

h9wBkQE.jpg

xjL9k8s.jpg

Is that a GM pick-up you did that mod on?

would be more informative if you listed the type of vehicle.

I could guess but thats just basic info you left out
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Is that a GM pick-up you did that mod on?

02 Chevy Silverado 5.3L. Fluid is Dexron VI.

I thought it was a GM truck
smile.gif
I didn't know DEX 6 could be used in the power steering on them. I was under the impression proper PSF was only to be used, not ATF.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I thought it was a GM truck
smile.gif
I didn't know DEX 6 could be used in the power steering on them. I was under the impression proper PSF was only to be used, not ATF.

I've rebuilt the saginaw pump, replaced the rack and put in new hoses a year ago since it was leaking and had lack of assist. Looks like a simple as rocks design so I used Dex 6 for a "fresh" system.

I bought the truck used with low miles and it had the nastiest P/S fluid. I thought flushing it out would help but the fluid stayed there too long and ate the seals or did some harm.

Now put a tiny wireless camera on it and pair it with your phone to see the actual temperature while driving (and incidentally, do the justice to your selected handle! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back