Vacuum Oil Extractors

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't advise using it for gasoline. What component composition are you referring to? Thanks.[/quote]

I dunno exactly. Just a disclaimer for the masses. I've used my mighty vac on gas at least 10 times. I just try not to tip it or jostle it, to avoid getting gas up on the valving component.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I have the 7201 also and it has been a great tool over the past 5 years.

But, like all things, it is not perfect. In my instance, I found it better to store it with the pour plug untensioned as mine became deformed and was hard to remove. No problem if I store it as mentioned.

There have been some very rare instances where the suction tube has broken off inside the oil pan. It seems to happen with certain vehicles that might have some king of edge down inside that catches the tube during extraction and/or maybe because people use it with the oil way too hot. I "think" the tubing is only rated to 170 degrees F, but I cannot verify this.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=311480

I still recommend it as a great unit.

On a '87 Buick with 3.8l the filler tube must end near some surface that forces the tube to make a tight bend. I attempted to use my Mityvac and the plastic suction tube didn't want to withdraw from the filler. For a short time I thought I was blanked, but I gently rotated the tubing and worked it out. Once out the plastic had little cuts and looked like a ring shank nail. I never tried that again.

On my BMW, it makes for quick and easy oil changes and is great for lawnmowers as well.

Question for the Mityvac users: in my research, it has been noted in various forums where vacuum extractor hoses have broken off while in the dipstick tube and fallen into the oil pan, requiring very a expensive oil pan drop to retrieve the offending piece of hose. Have any of you gotten a piece of tube cut off in there or stuck? I know a few have been in close calls.

I love the method and want to go that route, but that would really ruin my day if it happened. I would use that tool on my current vehicle makes: Chrysler and Ford.

No, just be sure that the end of the tube is smooth before inserting-watch out for previous nicks that would act as a barb that could get stuck on an edge. Either get a new tube, cut off the damaged section, or sand away any barbs.

Insert slowly until you just hit the oil level and only need to go further to the depth of the oil, don't just jam it in there as far as it goes assuming the tube will snake around inside the pan.
When, the oil sucking startgs gurgling, just go go a fraction of an inch lower and see if there is more oil. Point is don't try to find the bottom of the pan, instead just find the oil.

Theoretically you're supposed to measure the tube up against your dipstick first, and mark it, so you know how far to go.

If you treat it like your dipstick, your dipstick doesn't get stuck, your tube shouldn't either.

That being said, I'd find the forum for your exact car and ask there if other people have used an extractor with your exact car

Last edited:
The Mityvac extract hose is fairly rigid and thick, it's impossible to brake off while insert into the dipstick tube.

Of all the engines I used the Mityvac to extract oil from dipstick tube, the MB E430 is easiest because its engine and dipstick tube designed to use an oil extractor.

The other engines are harder to extract all oil from the pan because it was hard to know when the extract hose was at the bottom of the oil pan. Like Raytseng said, you may need to check the oil level before doing the extraction to know how much you can siphon from the dipstick tube, then adjust he hose up or down when it starts gurgling if you get less than 85-90% out. Doing this way I had been able to extract up to 95%.

The other maintenance that can utilize the Mityvac is changing ATF and 1 person brake bleeding.

Sucking the oil out of the dipstick tube all the time is not wise. You need to still crawl under the car or truck every couple/few oil changes to remove the drain plug so it doesn't end up seized in the pan and to properly let the "[censored]" at the bottom of the pan drain out. Sucking out of the tube gets the majority of the oil out of the pan, yes. You will always have residual in the bottom of the pan though; only way to get that out is the remove the drain plug. Same goes for those that only do their transmission like this too....gotta drop that pan to clean it and the magnet and to put a fresh filter in it. Your engine/trans, your choice, but there is a right and wrong way to do stuff.

way to threadcrap and add nothing to the discussion.

You didn't even watch the videos posted to come up with a more valid "con" of the procedure (like getting the tube broken off).

Your writeup reads as close minded know-it all coming into THIS forum and saying you need to change your oil every 3000miles with 10w-30 mobil 1, there's a right way and wrong way to do it, blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pavelow
Sucking the oil out of the dipstick tube all the time is not wise. You need to still crawl under the car or truck every couple/few oil changes to remove the drain plug so it doesn't end up seized in the pan and to properly let the "[censored]" at the bottom of the pan drain out. Sucking out of the tube gets the majority of the oil out of the pan, yes. You will always have residual in the bottom of the pan though; only way to get that out is the remove the drain plug. Same goes for those that only do their transmission like this too....gotta drop that pan to clean it and the magnet and to put a fresh filter in it. Your engine/trans, your choice, but there is a right and wrong way to do stuff.

Standard procedure for changing oil in a Mercedes engine at a Mercedes dealer is using vacuum on the dipstick tube. The end of the dipstick tube is at the bottom of the pan, so using a strong vacuum machine will siphon more oil than the drain plug.

Someone removed the drain plug of an E-Class after using Mityvac, how much oil came out ? None, not even 1 drop.

I didn't try that method, I checked the oil level in my E430 before using Mityvac, I always get no less than the amount indicated on the dipstick. No, the Mityvac didn't get majority of oil the pan, it get ALL the oil in the pan, crud(if any) included.

OK, but in true BITOG fashion lets split hairs here.

Number one, the dipstick tube does NOT end at the bottom of the oil pan, it terminates well above there.

Number two, I have removed many a drain plug after a complete hot drain (just double checking, and I can almost always get some more. Good oil clings to parts, thus it is virtually impossible to get it all out no matter the method.

I change a lot of oil here, took 8 GALLONS to the recyclers yesterday. It will be a long time bfore I believe that a winky little tube with some suction has the same pan cleaning power as a fast hot flushing drain IME.

Obviously it works just fine, but I believe it is what we call nominal...

Hmm? I'd have no interest in extracting engine oil this way. But would come in handy with trainy fluid.

I thought about getting one myself because the way the car is positioned, when I lift the front of my car up to get under it, since it sits low, the oil pan is uneven, so you do not get all of the oil out when you drain it... I have to drop the car back down to get about half a quart out.

However, I kinda got used to it to the point where it takes me a solid 15 minutes to the drain the oil and replace the filter, so I don't need the vacuum pump and I still have to lift the car up to replace the filter.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
I thought about getting one myself because the way the car is positioned, when I lift the front of my car up to get under it, since it sits low, the oil pan is uneven, so you do not get all of the oil out when you drain it... I have to drop the car back down to get about half a quart out.

However, I kinda got used to it to the point where it takes me a solid 15 minutes to the drain the oil and replace the filter, so I don't need the vacuum pump and I still have to lift the car up to replace the filter.

I can't even get a jack under my car! I had to buy a special lo profile one to even lift it.

The guys I know using extractors all have a cartridge filter located where you get it from above. That's the way to do it!

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Anyone use a vacuum oil extractor on their vehicles or small engines, something like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU/

I use that exact same product and find it extremely useful. Great for small engines, engines with filter on top like 4runner and some Mercedes models. Oil changes which don't require filter change. (Usually these are "extra" changes in my case), Also good for refreshing transmission fluid in cases where pan doesn't need to be dropped.

Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back