2014 Ford Focus ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to use an oil meeting Ford WSS-M2C946-A.

I believe Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 carries the cert. Ford's own Motorcraft 5w30 meets it too.

Originally Posted By: nhkid
I have about 2k miles on it now and am thinking about what oil to use. Suggestions?

Congrats on your new Car. I am proud of Ford for selling the ST here in the States. ABOUT TIME FORD!!!

As for oil?? It calls for a 30w or a 40w? I am guessing a 40w?? DI? Turbo motor. Maybe run M1 0w40? If it meets the Ford specs that are required.

Enjoy the car!!

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I have about 2k miles on it now and am thinking about what oil to use. Suggestions?

Congrats on your new Car. I am proud of Ford for selling the ST here in the States. ABOUT TIME FORD!!!

As for oil?? It calls for a 30w or a 40w? I am guessing a 40w?? DI? Turbo motor. Maybe run M1 0w40? If it meets the Ford specs that are required.

Enjoy the car!!

Jeff

The spec I referenced above, WSS-M2C946-A, is 5w30 and I believe API SM/SN.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Enjoy the car!!

Jeff

The spec I referenced above, WSS-M2C946-A, is 5w30 and I believe API SM/SN.

Ford must run the 30w for fuel economy. Running a 30w though in a turbo charged DI motor?? mmmmmmm If they allow a 40w in the manual, I would screw the MPG's and go with a 40w.

07.gif

Jeff

From the owners manual...nothing other than 5-30 so recommended.

Capacities and Specifications

Capacity

Between MAX and MIN on reservoir
5.7 quarts (5.4L)
•Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
•Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
•XO-5W30-QSP (US) •CXO-5W30-LSP12 (Canada) •XO-5W30-QFS (US) •CXO-5W30-LFS12 (Canada) / WSS-M2C946-A with API Certification Mark

Ford must run the 30w for fuel economy. Running a 30w though in a turbo charged DI motor?? mmmmmmm If they allow a 40w in the manual, I would screw the MPG's and go with a 40w.

There are a lot of FI cars that have spec'd 30-weights without any major issues. I trust Ford to spec the proper oil.

[censored], the EcoBoost motors run on 5w20.

Mobil 1 5w30 or Pennsoil Platinum....should do the trick. IMO....Both are excellent shelf oils.

Combine with a Fram 'ULTRA' filter....and your in business. Depending on your OCI, the ULTRA could be use for two changes since it has a 15K warranty.

Running a 30w though in a turbo charged DI motor??

Why the surprise.

Doesn't Hyundai recommend Xw-20 in their turbo DI motors?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Why the surprise.

5w30 or 5w40 in the turbos, but 5w20 is ok in the non-turbo DI's.

OP, Pennzoil or Mobil synthetics as mentioned above are good choices. Awesome car BTW! FWIW, I would encourage you to use top tier fuels in the car, it can only help. I remember our turbo Kia recommended top tier gas in the manual. If not used, they recommended an additive every 5K. I did both on the Kia, and all of our vehicles for that matter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm

There are a lot of FI cars that have spec'd 30-weights without any major issues. I trust Ford to spec the proper oil.

[censored], the EcoBoost motors run on 5w20.

I'm fairly certain that Ecoboost requires 5w-30. I echo Panthermike's observation that it pays to use brand-name, high-detergent (but not necessarily top-tier) gas. These days the name-brand oils are more consistently good than the gas.

Why the surprise.

Yes in their N/A motors not their turbo motors. They spec a 40w.

Why the surprise? DI motors shear oil from the fuel delivery. The turbo also shears oil.

Yes Ford knows what they are doing but they also think of MPG's to meet EPA standards too.

Go with what the manual says of course but if you start modifying like everyone else does ditch the 30w unless you run Redline 5w30. You will void your warranty with mods anyway.

Just my opinion from owning turbo charged cars for the past 20 yrs.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Ford recommends 5w-20 in the 1.6 EB.

30 grade is sufficient. Remember, coolant cools the turbo, not oil.

Cooling isn't the issue. oil shearing is. Common to DI and turbo motors especially one running semi high boost as in the ST.

Jeff

If you keep it stock run what Ford States in the manual. Do your own UOA's to keep an eye on things.

Begin modding??? 40w

Jeff

Originally Posted By: panthermike

Why the surprise.

5w30 or 5w40 in the turbos, but 5w20 is ok in the non-turbo DI's.

Hey guys, my Santa Fe Sport 2.0T says 5w20 on the oil cap. Back cover of owner's manual says 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 are options. No indication of seperate oil per engine. Inside the manual it says 5w30 and 10w30, again, nothing to distinguish which engine gets what. It does make distinction when OCI is the question. So, taken at face value, 5w20 is recommended for both, along with the other options. All else would be guessing on our part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back