Why do opened bottles of oil leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only needed to add half a quart, so I kept the rest in the bottle until I need it. But the next day, I saw some oil dripping from the side! I did close the bottle as tight as I could.

The oil seems to drip from the top of the cap all the way down the side. Why would this happen?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I only needed to add half a quart, so I kept the rest in the bottle until I need it. But the next day, I saw some oil dripping from the side! I did close the bottle as tight as I could.

The oil seems to drip from the top of the cap all the way down the side. Why would this happen?

Same here. As far as I can tell a bit of oil finds it way into the threads on the outside of the bottle where the cap attaches and works its way down the side of the bottle. It almost looks like the bottle is sweating.

I had a partially full 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 lying on it's side in a draw in my toolbox once and it leaked as well. Sucked to clean because there was other stuff in the drawer too...

Same here too. Probably no more 2-3 drops leak out from the bottle's threads. I usually wiped it dry the next day or two and it stayed dry after that.

Anyone else notice that the stickers on the bottle curl up as if they are soaking up the oil through the plastic??

It's been discussed here before about shelf life of the oil and concerns with the oil breaking down the plastic containers...

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Anyone else notice that the stickers on the bottle curl up as if they are soaking up the oil through the plastic??

It's been discussed here before about shelf life of the oil and concerns with the oil breaking down the plastic containers...

Every single bottle of G-Oil I've ever seen has had this issue. And I know I'm not the only one here that ever noticed that.

Originally Posted By: accent2012

I suppose it's possible long term, IDK. An example is POE refrigerant oils, being hydroscopic they're sold in metal containers as the oil can pull moisture into a plastic one.

Yep, it sometimes does do this and it sometimes doesn't.
It does almost look as though the oil is sweating out of the bottle.
The slow drain of residue from the threads of the bottle seems like the best explanation.
A quick wipe with a rag or paper towel would therefore probably prevent this.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As far as I can tell a bit of oil finds it way into the threads on the outside of the bottle where the cap attaches and works its way down the side of the bottle. It almost looks like the bottle is sweating.

^ This!

I had the same hypothesis and tested it by wiping the threads off before closing the bottle. No more seepage after that! It's my new habit now, and the leaks have stopped -- except when I forget or do a bad job.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

A quick wipe with a rag or paper towel would therefore probably prevent this.

It does. If open a qt. and use part of it, I grab a rag and wipe the threads of the bottle out, problem solved, if I remember to do it.

Larger laundry detergent bottle is usually about $15-20 or more, so that they can spend 25-50 cents on the bottle. Oil bottle in quart container is less than $4-5 for convention, they don't want to spend more than 5-10 cents for the bottle.

I can't believe this thread.

You poured oil out of a bottle and a drip or two leaks down the side after putting the cap on.

Jeebus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back