Maxlife ATF & Honda DW-1 suitability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually surprised they don't claim DW1 since they switched to the new low-viscosity formulation. It should probably be fine though if you're out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Tomcat_80
So should I tell my neighbor that has a 99 accord to use valvoline DEX III or the HONDA DW-1 fluid? I would use OEM fluid myself.

Yes, either of those would be fine in that 99 Accord, which originally called for Dexron III.

So should I tell my neighbor that has a 99 accord to use valvoline DEX III or the HONDA DW-1 fluid? I would use OEM fluid myself.

Actually for 1994 on, Honda actually had the forerunner to Z-1, which was basically the same product, but it was called Honda Premium ATF.
I would use Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF. I would NOT recommend the low viscosity DW-1 in that application.

I would NOT use a synthetic product either.

Last edited:
The Honda 5at/V6 combo works great with Dex III. The key to making the '98 and on transmissions live is a Dex III fluid and changing the pressure switches every couple years. Even a Dex III/Type F mix works very well. Shifts are very quick and precise yet they can't be felt by the driver. They're practically bulletproof if you do those two things.

The OEM fluid would be one of my last choices (well DW-1 doesn't seem as bad as Z1). I'm surprised so many people are still scared by the factory literature when so many have had success and practically brought their transmissions back from the dead with DexIII and new switches.

I am glad they updated ML ATF to include DW-1 for suitability. I have read about tons of folks that have been using in ML lieu of DW-1 with stellar results. I'm glad I made the switch. My local WM sells ML ATF for under $17 a gallon.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I am glad they updated ML ATF to include DW-1 for suitability. I have read about tons of folks that have been using in ML lieu of DW-1 with stellar results. I'm glad I made the switch. My local WM sells ML ATF for under $17 a gallon.

I wonder why it took them so long to put the DW-1 application in writing?

That was always my concern with using their product in a newer Honda that required DW-1 spec. Now that Valvoline put their money where their mouth is I'd be willing to use it.

Although I'm a firm believer in using only OEM fluid in a Honda tranny, MaxLife seems to have good reviews across the web in Honda's. People like the shift quality it brings and how clean it stays during extended drain intervals.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Although I'm a firm believer in using only OEM fluid in a Honda tranny, MaxLife seems to have good reviews across the web in Honda's. People like the shift quality it brings and how clean it stays during extended drain intervals.

The issue with older Honda vehicles is that those transmissions were designed with dino based fluid and I would be VERY concerned about using a synthetic formula in a car with seals designed for the older type of fluids. With Honda vehicles older than 2008 or so I would stick with the older dino based high viscosity fluids and I wouldn't dare use DW-1 in a Honda from 2000 and earlier. The Castrol Import Multi Vehicle ATF seems like the best match for Honda cars with auto trans made before the year 2000. Maybe Tegger will chime in on this, he probably knows better than I do.

One of the big mysteries to me is what exactly was the older pre Z-1 fluid that Honda simply called
"Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid"?????? It was sold at the dealer from about 1994-2000.
I believe it was an Idemitsu ATF but cannot find any specifics on it at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AcuraTL
The Honda 5at/V6 combo works great with Dex III. The key to making the '98 and on transmissions live is a Dex III fluid and changing the pressure switches every couple years. Even a Dex III/Type F mix works very well. Shifts are very quick and precise yet they can't be felt by the driver.

I'm not sure I'd say that the shifts can't be felt by the driver. Even using just Dexron III (MaxLife) in both of ours, shifts became progressively harsher as the concentration of MaxLife increased with subsequent drains/fills. The Honda's transmission would get a weird 2-3 shift with MaxLife, where it felt like it "double shifted". I agree that Dexron III fluid generally works well in these, but shift quality was degraded in both of our cars. Castrol and DW-1 both remove that 2-3 "double shift" in the Honda.

If I owned a Honda vehicle under warranty and 'needed' to do ATF d&f I would use DW-1 just make certain there could be no question should an AT issue arise.

I don't find it odd that Ashland and ML took some time to add the DW-1 suitable for listing. I'd consider that to be a prudent course as opposed to rushing to add it without proper testing and consideration. Nothing untoward about it imo.

Also, after reading MolaKule's thread regarding improvements in DexVI over DexIII posted here , I'd have no concern about using about using ML or another synthetic ATF where a previous dino ATF like Dex III was spec. Even PQIA accepted and acknowledged Ashland's explanation regarding ML's lower starting viscosity, but much greater shear stability than previous dino Dex ATF's.

I'm using ML in three vehicles, two spec'd for Z-1 and one for DexIII, with good results. Lower cost than DW-1 is certainly a factor but as important is ML's solid reputation here and elsewhere. I might try DW1 the future just to see if there is any difference in shift quality, but it won't be out of concern for reliability.

To the OP, thanks for for posting the DW-1 update which looks to not have made it to the website yet. And it appears Hokiefyd's thread a couple years ago was prophetic.

If you do just the fluid with old switches the shift quality can degrade. If the switches are new and you use DexIII or equivalent shift quality is excellent.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I would NOT use a synthetic product either.

The best performing products are usually synthetic (like most OEM formulas). Why would you not want that?

Guys, since Z-1 Honda fluid has been replaced by the DW-1, should I just use the MAXLIFE DEX III then?

Absolutely use MaxLife, it's one of the best things going.

A long-life, low-shear product that does what it says. I would only use something else if I was pushing the performance/temperature limits. That 'something else' would be double the price though.

With Honda vehicles older than 2008 or so I would stick with the older dino based high viscosity fluids and I wouldn't dare use DW-1 in a Honda from 2000 and earlier.

The older formulas were not high-viscosity, they were short-life, high-shear.

I believe that any car is worthy of proper service, not just the more recent ones. I used MaxLife in a 94 Accord for almost a decade and it ran beautifully. Once you understand the the mechanics of the system it becomes easier and easier to understand why clean & cool fluid is as important as quality fluid.

It's difficult to find an AT application that would not work exceptionally well with MaxLife, but all transmissions benefit from clean lubrication.

DW-1 is the OE replacement fluid for all Z-1 (and previous) applications. Just like DexVI replaces all DexIII. Same trend with Toyota, Hyundai, Chrysler, Ford, etc. MaxLife fits them all because most auto trannys have very similar requirements. Use it in new, old, doesn't matter. MaxLife is a durable, high-performance, synthetic product that delivers and still cheaper than OE.

Does it get any easier?

Last edited:
I made myself a note a couple of years ago to use Castrol Transmax in my '01 Acura CL-S next time I buy a case of ATF. (Currently I'm on Amsoil ATF.) Is Maxlife an even better choice?

I don't know that I'd say that MaxLife is better than the Amsoil that you are currently using but, I believe MaxLife could be better than the Castrol TransMax as MaxLife is a Full Synthetic and the TransMax is at best, a blend!

The MaxLife starts out at ~6 cSt and is more shear stable.
The TransMax starts out at ~8 cSt and is less shear stable.

As Valvoline states(not a quote) that most conventional ATF's shear down into ~5 cSt range.
IDK when/how soon the ATF's start to shear nor how long they'll stay in the 5 cSt range.

I am using currently, Castrol IMV in 3 asian vehicles(Lexus, Mazda, Nissan-now on ML). No issues with IMV or ML just that each has it's own shift feel about them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: martinq
With Honda vehicles older than 2008 or so I would stick with the older dino based high viscosity fluids and I wouldn't dare use DW-1 in a Honda from 2000 and earlier.

The older formulas were not high-viscosity, they were short-life, high-shear.

I believe that any car is worthy of proper service, not just the more recent ones. I used MaxLife in a 94 Accord for almost a decade and it ran beautifully. Once you understand the the mechanics of the system it becomes easier and easier to understand why clean & cool fluid is as important as quality fluid.

It's difficult to find an AT application that would not work exceptionally well with MaxLife, but all transmissions benefit from clean lubrication.

DW-1 is the OE replacement fluid for all Z-1 (and previous) applications. Just like DexVI replaces all DexIII. Same trend with Toyota, Hyundai, Chrysler, Ford, etc. MaxLife fits them all because most auto trannys have very similar requirements. Use it in new, old, doesn't matter. MaxLife is a durable, high-performance, synthetic product that delivers and still cheaper than OE.

Does it get any easier?

+1000

If Ashland recommends it for your application, it will wear at least as well as OE fluid, and much better in the case of vehicles originally specified for Honda Z-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back