Ford Oz specifying a 15W-40 mineral oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a 310KW, turbo 4.0L six cylinder no less...

IMG_06381.jpg

So much for 15W-40 being obsolete...

Wow, they sure pick a brand name down there!

LOL at Dexron, to give GM a shameless plug.

Also check out the 33% antifreeze recommendation.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Dad's R16 said to only use Castrol GTX 20W-50, but the Ford stuff I photoed today is pretty equal opportunity...Mobil SHCID was my fave gear lube...but they stopped making it.

We've always had 33% A/F recommendation (25% minimum), but global pressures (ease of making manuals) ended up 50% nearly across the board...guess they want less cylinder head temps by speccing 33%.

Is that turbo F6 270 a V6 and is it a derivative of anything in the USA? Or is it an Oz sourced engine? Australia has produced many interesting variants and unique products.

As a side note, I'm sorry to hear the auto manufacturing industry seems to be leaving the country. I read Ford and now GM are shutting down their Oz based mfg. plants and Toyota is likely to do so as well. That will leave no major auto manufacturing done in Oz AFAIK and probably a lot of people outta work. According to the stories I read, with import tariffs reduced and increasing regulation on manufacturing and much higher costs, it's going to be cheaper to ship them in now. Might there be some foot-shooting or nose cutting off going on in Oz? Wouldn't be the only place, that for sure.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Dad's R16 said to only use Castrol GTX 20W-50, but the Ford stuff I photoed today is pretty equal opportunity...Mobil SHCID was my fave gear lube...but they stopped making it.

We've always had 33% A/F recommendation (25% minimum), but global pressures (ease of making manuals) ended up 50% nearly across the board...guess they want less cylinder head temps by speccing 33%.

Out with the SHC ID and in with Castrol SAF-XA.
I saw somewhere that ford were now specing SAF-XA with 100ml of Sturaco 7098 and a small amount (about 20ml) of some other Ford additive for the BTR rear end.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Is that turbo F6 270 a V6 and is it a derivative of anything in the USA? Or is it an Oz sourced engine? Australia has produced many interesting variants and unique products.

Jim, it's a straight, as opposed to bent 6...while not a Ford fan in general, the fact that they kept it straight, homegrown, and under a modern bonnet (hood) made me like them.

As a side note, I'm sorry to hear the auto manufacturing industry seems to be leaving the country. I read Ford and now GM are shutting down their Oz based mfg. plants and Toyota is likely to do so as well. That will leave no major auto manufacturing done in Oz AFAIK and probably a lot of people outta work. According to the stories I read, with import tariffs reduced and increasing regulation on manufacturing and much higher costs, it's going to be cheaper to ship them in now. Might there be some foot-shooting or nose cutting off going on in Oz? Wouldn't be the only place, that for sure.

Yeah, the great "Button plan" in action.

I wonder what they were thinking????
Then one sees Keating on tv saying that all the people who lost their jobs when Mitsubishi shut the doors got better, higher paying jobs.
Yeah right.

Poor journalism by Kerry Obrien IMO.
He should've asked for proof to back up that garbage throw away comment by Keating.

Yep, and when brickies have to retire at 67, they can retrain and upskill in their 40s according to plibersek in an interview a while ago...let them eat cake.

Which is great, as we'll only have coffee shops and hair dressers soon...and nothing to buy them with.

Jim, it's a straight, as opposed to bent 6...while not a Ford fan in general, the fact that they kept it straight, homegrown, and under a modern bonnet (hood) made me like them.

It is a really great engine that has reached the pinnacle of it's development since it's early beginnings as an American straight six from the 60's.
There's nothing else like it out there in the market.

Yep, and when brickies have to retire at 67, they can retrain and upskill in their 40s according to plibersek in an interview a while ago...let them eat cake.

Which is great, as we'll only have coffee shops and hair dressers soon...and nothing to buy them with.

Right on brother.
I think they call it transitioning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducman
It is a really great engine that has reached the pinnacle of it's development since it's early beginnings as an American straight six from the 60's.
There's nothing else like it out there in the market.

The pinnacle was probably in 1991 when Mick Korn and I brazed an extra couple of carby mounting plates onto an integral cast manifolded (I think it was a 221), and fitted triple downdrafts...

Ah, so is the 270 is a derivative of the old 170/200/250 inlines we had here?

An underrated powerplant IME. I once participated in building one of those up, which included shaving the manifold off a Ford 200 head that came out of a '70 Maverick. There were replacement manifolds available then and three 1-bbls were fitted. IIRC, it was an Offy manifold and we used three of the standard Autolite carbs. That engine could rev to the moon once you gave it some air. Pretty strong bottom end too. Believe it or not, the engine was installed into A-H 3000, whose owner bew up the 3L for the umpteenth time and got tired of paying premium prices for low quality Brit parts. The Ford 200 outperformed the original A-H engine and was lighter and more compact. The owner spent a LOT of time adapting it to the A-H trans but thre were issues with the adapters. Last I heard, this was in the mid '80s, he was installing a Warner T-5 from a Fox Mustang which already bolted to the engine and delivere a true fith rather than just overdrive.

Some years back, I bought a performance book on those Ford engines, "The Ford Falcon Six Cylinder Performance Handbook" by David and Dennis Schjeldahl. Pretty much outlines all that's available, or was available for them. I'll probably never lay hands on one again but I collect performance info on (now) obscure engines.

As I suspected, the loss of car manufacturing is an "issue" there.

Could they possibly have recommended a more diverse set of brands of fluids on that one manual page? Denso compressor oil, Mobil axle fluids, Texaco transfer case fluids, and Castrol engine oils. On the part you cut off, did they recommend Prestone antifreeze or Zerex? How about some Pentosin PSF and some ATE brake fluid?

There's nothing wrong with 15w-40, at least if other options are too expensive. A 15w-40 with the right specs can still have a very high TBN.

Note that up here at the distributor, Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 synthetic in a 5 gallon pail is barely more money than a pail of Delvac 1300 15w-40, at least when compared to the difference between synthetic and conventional at normal retail outlets.

My distributor offers Delvac 1 at near conventional prices. Now, for a real laugh. I had to stop at Walmart last night. VR-1 is cheaper than VWB, PYB, GTX, QSGB, and just about everything else you can think of.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back