TV backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are times when you feel like turning off all the lights in the room to watch TV. But when you do that, it can be harsh on the eyes due to frequent and drastic changes in TV program light intensity. I finally decided I'll get one of these LED light strips to install behind the TV to provide some backlighting. They sell them in different lengths depending on your TV size. This particular one is comprised of 21 LEDs and claims to only draw 1.5 Watts.

DSC_3324.jpg

Pretty cool! After seeing the halo effect I thought it was a pitch for a new product and above the TV I was expecting to see "New", "Improved", "Coming Soon"...well you get the idea.

I have never seen that concept.. I have had my bigscreen now for 2 years and I have never once watched it with the lights off. If you do though, I can see that making a nice difference indeed!

I believe this is called "bias lighting". My understanding is that by increasing the amount of light in your field of view, it contracts your pupils and makes the darker areas of the TV appear darker than they would otherwise, improving the percieved contrast. Philips actually included this feature on some early plasma TVs, they called it "ambilight".

jeff

Yep - Philips had this built in and I think some Panasonics did too, at some point.
When I upgrade our TV next yr, I am definitely going to think of doing this, too. Very good idea.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I believe this is called "bias lighting".

Correct. Been doing it for over a decade, since the first HD sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back