mobil 1 0w40 vs pennzoil ultra 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
pennzoil ultra 5w40 has a NOACK of 6.8 while m1 has 8.8

My biggest criteria is to minimize carbon buildup on intake valves in Audi 3.0 DI engine. I would assume PU 5w40 is no brainier here? I change oil once a year because I drive little, so the cost difference of $10-$20 bucks is minimal here while a carbon clean job may cost hundreds..

Last edited:
The difference in NOACK between the two is not that significant, IMO. And I don't think it has been proven anywhere that very low NOACK will minimize carbon buildup, but I guess it can't hurt.

Personally, if I had a DI engine, I'd be running low SAPS oil in addition to something with relatively low NOACK.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The difference in NOACK between the two is not that significant, IMO. And I don't think it has been proven anywhere that very low NOACK will minimize carbon buildup, but I guess it can't hurt.

Personally, if I had a DI engine, I'd be running low SAPS oil in addition to something with relatively low NOACK.

I thought a low volatility oil reduces the amount of oil vapor in crank case. The oil vapor is the biggest enemy to a clean intake valve. Please recommend low SAPS oil
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: taurus_sable
I thought a low volatility oil reduces the amount of oil vapor in crank case. The oil vapor is the biggest enemy to a clean intake valve.

In theory, I suppose you're right. I just don't know of any actual test studies that proved it. If your engine is succeptible to carbon deposit buildup, you need to set some money aside for cleaning regardless.

This is the new 3.0 supercharged, right? I thought these were relatively deposit free, but I guess it's kind of too early to tell...

Quote:

Please recommend low SAPS oil
grin.gif

Does your owner's manual allow for use of VW 504.00/507.00 oil? If so, then maybe this one, but it might be hard to find...
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007054903_20120227110_5.pdf

I think Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 is also low/mid SAPs.

The thing about running low SAPs oils in the US is that you may need to reduce your OCI due to the sulfur levels in our gasoline.

By the way, any oil meeting MB 229.5 or 229.51 spec will have NOACK of no more than 10%. That 11% on the Pennzoil spec sheet is most likely an error.

Quote:

This is the new 3.0 supercharged, right? I thought these were relatively deposit free, but I guess it's kind of too early to tell...

yes. the carbon buildup on the 3.0tfsi is not very bad as I read. I want be preventative.

Quote:

Does your owner's manual allow for use of VW 504.00/507.00 oil?

manual says vw 502 only

Quote:

The thing about running low SAPs oils in the US is that you may need to reduce your OCI due to the sulfur levels in our gasoline.

I drive around 6k a year. So I'll change every year anyways.

does anyone know any oil in vw 502 list is low SAP?

I believe you would need to look to the diesel oil list to find that.

Your motor is the 3.0TFSI V6, which has the revised oil reclamation system. It doesn't suffer from carbon buildup nearly as bad as the old ones did. Audi also extendeded the warranty coverage against carbon buildup.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I believe you would need to look to the diesel oil list to find that.

Your motor is the 3.0TFSI V6, which has the revised oil reclamation system. It doesn't suffer from carbon buildup nearly as bad as the old ones did. Audi also extendeded the warranty coverage against carbon buildup.

I believe the warranty only covers breather cleaning when there is CEL..

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I agree the correlation between NOACK and intake tract deposits just isn't there. The lighter fractions of the oil that's actually evaporated which NOACK represents may contribute little if anything to the problem. It is the rest of the oil that is atomized at high rev's that one should be more concerned about.
An oil with a low SAPS rating is likely good although an oil with a very low TEOST deposit score is possibly best as occurs a a lower temperature.
That said, I don't know of ASTM test that specifically replicates
carbon build-up on the back of intake valves.

M1 ESP 5w-30 claims to meet VW 502.00 spec requirements, but it isn't officially VW 502.00 approved.

If you're only doing 6k miles per year, go with any of the 504.00 oils. PU Euro 5W-30 is one of those and it may also have the low NOACK that you're looking for if they are using the GTL base stock now. It's just a hard oil to find over the counter.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I agree the correlation between NOACK and intake tract deposits just isn't there. The lighter fractions of the oil that's actually evaporated which NOACK represents may contribute little if anything to the problem. It is the rest of the oil that is atomized at high rev's that one should be more concerned about.
An oil with a low SAPS rating is likely good although an oil with a very low TEOST deposit score is possibly best as occurs a a lower temperature.
That said, I don't know of ASTM test that specifically replicates
carbon build-up on the back of intake valves.

If your hypothesis is correct, it could probably explain all of those broken down, direct injection OTR transports that we wizz past every day with their "heavy" 40 weights and high SAPS clogging the intakes...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
direct injection OTR transports

what's OTR? Theoretically both low volatility and low SAPS should help avoid carbon buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back