Steam Locomotive lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and dont know if this is the right place to ask, but what would steam locomotives that were used back in their time use for grease and oiling? Would they even have had a EP grease or.... Was reading couple railroad magazines I get and saw some pics of steamers that are still used, albeit very little or for tourism/tours. Thank you guys in advance.

Thank you for the links guys, very interesting
smile.gif

I have been fascinated with steam locomotives for a while 79Sunrunner. Awesome machines and very labor intensive machines but a sight to see in person
smile.gif

Agreed. Ive collected many scale models over the years, but just sold my collection to help pay for Marklin German trains.

The closest real train museum to me is the Illinois Railway Museum, and to any rail buffs, Rochelle Railroad park is not far either.

I don't like watching trains, I like their history and mechanical genius, therefor I don't know too many details on them. Someone will sometimes walk up to me at model train shows and go on and on how angry they are that the local museum put the wrong stripes on a new engine, or a model they bought has the wrong length of antenna wire on it. I'm not that enthusiastic, but I play along when those conversations pop up. "yea we need to sue the museum, or yea we need to get a lawyer on these poorly measured parts that can't be modified by a dealer two booths down at the show :)"

Ok I went off topic

I played fireman on a local tourist railway one day.

They have "square oil" and "round oil"...

square oil is in a rectangular tin, is heavy mineral, and an animal fat type additive like Trav said...it's fed into lubricators for "square" stuff like the bearings (boundary lubricated, which the fat does well).

round oil is a round container that feeds cylinders etc. and is a high temperature steam oil

He seems to like trains:

Originally Posted By: Tomcat_80
Hello and what are some of the great movies you folks have watched? I will say that I enjoyed "Cold Mountain" with Jude Law and Nicole Kidman Thanksgiving Day. I also like Forrest Gump, and Runaway Train.

We've got a lot of working steam locomotives here in Northern California. Often I take my kid on a 15" narrow gauge train in a nearby park. Maybe I'll ask what they use for lubrication. I suspect it's probably something pretty basic, like API SA motor oil (a common choice for air compressors). There are a lot of other ones, including Roaring Camp near Santa Cruz and the Skunk Train in Mendocino.

The California State Railroad Museum used to operate an old steam locomotive (Granite Rock #10), but apparently the last certification cycle they found that the boiler was in bad shape and they didn't have the funds to rebuild the boiler. They're running a diesel now for their excursion rides.

800px-Granite_Rock_Railroad_10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back