Oil Filter for 2013 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
13Tacoma -
Presuming you are going to follow the OEM maintenance plan, then just about any decent brand name filter will do a fine job. Most of them are a tad more efficient than the OEM filter, but that really does not make any difference.

Use the filter makers site to get a correct interchange, and be done with it. If warranty coverge is important to you (and I would think it is for a 2013MY), then I'd stick to the proffered products and not venture off the reservation. If you select an unauthorized filter, then the burden of proof is upon you, should anything bad happen. Use their recommended filter, and the weight is upon them.

The dealer changes the oil for me every 5000 miles until I hit 25000 miles. Then I'm on my own but have to adhere to their maintenance plan to still be covered under warranty. I really would like to eventually push my OCI up since I'll be paying for it at that point. I think a 10,000 mile OCI would be great.

Onto the point of after market filters being a tad more efficient. Does that mean they flow better or they filter better? And which would be preferred when doing longer OCIs than the manufacturer recommends?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: stchman
Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
I was wondering what would be a good option for a 2013 Tacoma 4 cylinder. I will be using TGMO 0W20.

If you want a good aftermarket filter, the Fram Ultras are good. The Fram Ultra filter for the 2013 Tacoma for all engines is the:

XG3614

The XG3600 is about 1.5" longer than the XG3614 if you have the room for it.

I will definitely check if I have the extra room.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The K&N is also made by Champ labs, correct?

Regardless either filter would be good for his Taco!

There is no evidence that the K&N filter is made by Champ Labs - it is not listed on the Champ Labs web site as one of their OEM filter brands ...

You may think that either one would be good for the OP's 2013 Tacoma, but I donj't see it that way.

Comparing the TRD filter (info on the left) to the K&N (info on the right):

Synthetic filter media / Cellulose filter media
Sold by Toyota dealers / Aftermarket
Silicone ADBV / Nitrile (?) ADBV

My vote is still for the TRD.

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely use it.

You should have plenty of room
I have an 08 with the 4 cyl and run an overize---Usually the MC FL1-A but today put a Fram Ultra XG8A on it

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: stchman
I was wondering what would be a good option for a 2013 Tacoma 4 cylinder. I will be using TGMO 0W20.

If you want a good aftermarket filter, the Fram Ultras are good. The Fram Ultra filter for the 2013 Tacoma for all engines is the:

XG3614

The XG3600 is about 1.5" longer than the XG3614 if you have the room for it.

I will definitely check if I have the extra room.

Onto the point of after market filters being a tad more efficient. Does that mean they flow better or they filter better?

Means they filter more efficiently. Doesn't mean they are necessarily more flow restrictive either, like lots of people automatically assume. Many very efficiently filtering filters also flow well.

And which would be preferred when doing longer OCIs than the manufacturer recommends?

I'd recommend the FRAM Ultra (again) if you're doing long OCIs since it's rated for 15K mile OCIs and is also very efficient (99% @ 20 microns - one of the best full synthetics) and flows very well also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back