Oil Filter for 2013 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya that is what is on it now, but after browsing this forum I was surprised to find that there weren't a lot of people using OEM filters. That led me to ask if something else would be better.

Have had good luck with Purolators, Classic or PureOne 10241's both work great. Plus their can shape works better with cap type removers. Have also used Toyota filters, Fram OCOD PH3614, Denso 15-1002's Engine is quieter with the Denso and Toyota filters. But all have worked well, and removed easily.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Have had good luck with Purolators, Classic or PureOne 10241's both work great. Plus their can shape works better with cap type removers. Have also used Toyota filters, Fram OCOD PH3614, Denso 15-1002's Engine is quieter with the Denso and Toyota filters. But all have worked well, and removed easily.

Awesome! Glad to hear your experience. I'll try out the Denso too. Maybe a purolator.

I've also been hearing a lot about Bosch. Are they premimum filters?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma

I've also been hearing a lot about Bosch. Are they premimum filters?

Bosch Premium and Purolator PureOne are basically the same filter.

I was wondering what would be a good option for a 2013 Tacoma 4 cylinder. I will be using TGMO 0W20.

Why not use Toyota's high performance TRD filter: TRD Oil Filter For Tacoma

You can buy one from your local Toyota dealer, or online for much less.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
I was wondering what would be a good option for a 2013 Tacoma 4 cylinder. I will be using TGMO 0W20.

thumbsup2.gif

Oh dang, I didn't even know about those. It says it fits 1996-2013 Tacoma. I wonder if all oil filters are the same for all tacomas through the 2 generations. V6 and 4 cylinder?

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

thumbsup2.gif

full-of-win.jpg

You Sir! Have managed to do something I have been struggling to do for months.
Find the TRD oil filter for my Camry.
Well done Sir!
grin.gif

To the OP: Look's & Sound's & is priced like a top notch filter, I would recommend it as well.

Not sure how much room you have for the oil filter,
but the Fram 3600 / Purolator 20195 are a third longer,
same base and bypass pressure...

I have a 2011 Tacoma (4 Cyl). I use the Mobil-1 filter. I got back a very good UOA after running it, and Mobil-1 0w20.

13Tacoma -
Presuming you are going to follow the OEM maintenance plan, then just about any decent brand name filter will do a fine job. Most of them are a tad more efficient than the OEM filter, but that really does not make any difference.

Use the filter makers site to get a correct interchange, and be done with it. If warranty coverge is important to you (and I would think it is for a 2013MY), then I'd stick to the proffered products and not venture off the reservation. If you select an unauthorized filter, then the burden of proof is upon you, should anything bad happen. Use their recommended filter, and the weight is upon them.

Last edited:
I found a local dealership that sales the Toyota OEM oil filters for $3.95 for my cartridge type, which is lower than any Fram at Walmart, Purolator at AAP or WIX at Oreillys. It made me reconsider OEM filters compared to the above brands. Plus, historically I've used aftermarket replacement parts, so when the opportunity to use OEM for the same money or less, I almost feel elated.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The TRD filter is a K&N.

Since when did K&N start using a blue silicone ADBV?

And we know the TRD filters are made by Champion Labs Fram: Click on the TRD Logo

If anything, they are very close to the Royal Purple filters with the exception of the sealing O-Ring.

Nice guess, inhalingbullets, but wrong.

thumbsup2.gif

If you want a good aftermarket filter, the Fram Ultras are good. The Fram Ultra filter for the 2013 Tacoma for all engines is the:

XG3614

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
The K&N is also made by Champ labs, correct?

Regardless either filter would be good for his Taco!

There is no evidence that the K&N filter is made by Champ Labs - it is not listed on the Champ Labs web site as one of their OEM filter brands ...

You may think that either one would be good for the OP's 2013 Tacoma, but I donj't see it that way.

Comparing the TRD filter (info on the left) to the K&N (info on the right):

Synthetic filter media / Cellulose filter media
Sold by Toyota dealers / Aftermarket
Silicone ADBV / Nitrile (?) ADBV

My vote is still for the TRD.

Originally Posted By: stchman

If you want a good aftermarket filter, the Fram Ultras are good. The Fram Ultra filter for the 2013 Tacoma for all engines is the:

XG3614

The XG3600 is about 1.5" longer than the XG3614 if you have the room for it.

The last time I checked the KN oil filters are very similar to M1 made by champ with a silicone adbv and a synthetic blend media. At least it was when I bought my hp1001 for my Buick. I've got some Fram Ultra 3980s for my two next changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back