Best oil to use in a 1990 acura integra gs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys i just purchased a automatic 1990 Acura integra gs from a dealer with only 43k miles and im not sure what oil was used in it before but the manual calls for 5w30 so should i just stick with that and what brand would be best? im hearing a ticking noise so im guessing it might the lifters or the oil in there is causing the tick also was told these cars have loud injectors.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum are popular choices. Mobil 1 is another fine choice.

I would probably stick with 5w30.

Seems awfully low mileage for the model year.

A less than synthetic option would be something like Pennzoil gold or Mobil conventional.

My first choice would be 2 parts M1 0w20AFE and 1 part M1 0w40. So if you have a 4.5 quart sump, that's 3 quarts of 0w20 and 1.5 of the 0w40.

Or just use straight M1 0w30AFE

It really depends on the noise, the car will sound like a sewing machine on cold starts and that's just that. Is it an actual tick with a different distinct noise or just noisy and even valve tappet/injector chatter from the top end?

Just use any 5w30 syn you score on sale and you will be driving it till it rots away or someone hits you
19.gif

Fuel injectors will be a bit noisy when cold, and quiet when warm. No lifters; DOHC. May need a valve adjustment.
I bought one of those new in late '89.

Very nice find. That is a classic to be sure. Sedan or Coupe?

Really any of the major 5w30 Synthetics and many of the blends will be more than fine for the vehicle. If it was me, I would no go Mobile1 or Redline. But in all fairness even a few of the dinos or HM-types are fine as well. You might like the additional addpack of the HM even though the 43K is low, the engine is still "old" and it would not hurt anything.

If its ticking I would try Royal Purple or Royal purple & see if the noise doesn't go away.

That engine will never be a quiet engine. There will be at least cold piston slap and/or valvetrain noise. It has to do with Hondas mechanical, non-roller finger followers of that generation. Even the RFFs in the newer engines (ie K-series) have done little to nothing to help with the notorious valvetrain NVH. That said, those B18s are good reliable engines. I'd suggest something like PYB 5w30 for conventional or PP 5w30 for synth. Use the brand you want, though.

i dont wanna put synthetic in it but was thinking pennzoil high mileage 5w30 winter 10w30 summer but im not sure cause i heard high mileage oils aren't good cause the conditioners swell things up and i dont see any oil leaks only need to change the oil pan gasket cause its leaking a lil is what the mechanic told me. Is there anyway i can tell if it has synthetic oil in it now?

Last edited:
It's often wise to stick with a reputable conventional at first and monitor the oil level. This thing certainly has low miles, but I would find it a pity to put in an expensive synthetic right off the bat and then find it's drinking it like water.

You really won't be able to tell if there's a synthetic in there now. High mileage oils are fine, but if there isn't a leak or something like that, there may be little point. 5w-30 would work all year, just fine.

I'd think that any 5W-30 would be fine in this engine.
It's a Honda so it's not really picky about oil.
If you want to use a synthetic, go right ahead.
Hondas are usually pretty oil tight and it's not like this thing is an oil swilling GSR.
This car sounds like a nice find.
I would change the timing belt, water pump and tensioner before you end up having to change the engine, which would be a shame.

is it true high mileage oils can be bad cause they have conditioners in them that can swell things up and cause more problems?

isnt true even if u warm your car up for like 10min in winter time and drive your trans is still cold and u have to drive normal and keep the rpms around 2500 or below?

All oils contain seal conditioners. It's my understanding that high mileageooils just use more. I wouldn't use high mileage unless it's needed. I'd rather use something like Pennzoil gold blend.

Yes you want to drive easy while it's warming up but not exactly 2,500. You can drive progressively higher in the rpm band as the engine warms up. I'd probably keep it below 3,000 until the water is at least 160F.

901Memphis is right about the HM oils. I doubt there would be harm, but why spend the money when you don't need to, right? And yes, I take it easy when the transmission is still cold in the winter.

It's -26 F right now and I have to go somewhere, to boot.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes you want to drive easy while it's warming up but not exactly 2,500. You can drive progressively higher in the rpm band as the engine warms up. I'd probably keep it below 3,000 until the water is at least 160F.

coolant temp up, oil psi down. cant go wrong this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back