Ice driving with Michelin LTX M/S2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fairly severe ice storm here in West Texas the last couple of days.....Ice on roadway 2-4 inches......first time to use these tires in ice.....size is 275/55/20 on 2010 Ford F150 FX4 5.4........ Performance is outstanding.....tried 2wd & 4wd...no slipping or sliding

I have a set of 275/60R20 on my Ram, and I couldn't agree more. They are THE best truck tries I've ever owned. Snow traction is outstanding also.

I agree that they're great, although I give a slight edge to the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor in winter conditions.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I agree that they're great, although I give a slight edge to the Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor in winter conditions.

Friend of mine has those, and I still away the M/s2 is better winter conditions. They have so much sniping,and its full depth. Edge to the Michilen. They are pricey, but fantastic. I'm interested in the Wilderness LE2 also. They are also very affordable.

From everything I've seen, if you need a truck tire that is not an AT tire, and you have normal winters that does not include 3 ft deep snow, its nearly impossible to beat those M/S2's

Originally Posted By: WTJackalope
A fairly severe ice storm here in West Texas the last couple of days.....Ice on roadway 2-4 inches......first time to use these tires in ice.....size is 275/55/20 on 2010 Ford F150 FX4 5.4........ Performance is outstanding.....tried 2wd & 4wd...no slipping or sliding

I truly believe on this vehicle there is NO other tire for it. I have had mine in all conditions--water, mud, snow, heat, towing and they are fantastic. I have 70K on mine with only 4/32" tread wear. They are quiet and handle like no other. The OEM Pirelli's were pathetic to say the least...

We don't do snow here but the amazing traction in the wet and the outrageously superior tread life make these tires a sleeper bargain.

On our service vans a good radial lasts 20-25k miles and an LTX MS2 lasts 60+. On a Silverado they may be nearly a permanent tire!

I love Michelin, they have to be the safest and most reliable tire manufacturer around. My only beef is they don't make an aggressive AT tire much like the Goodyear Duratrac or Toyo Open Country ATII. I would just love to have Michelin quality in an off road tire.

My 2013 F150 STX came with Hankook Dynapros and they are racing slicks on ice, I wish the thing was shipped with Michelin's instead. I will be replacing them soon probably with a set of Goodyear Duratracs.

Last edited:
01.gif
Have these on both Jeeps.
thumbsup2.gif

Yup, the LTX's are really good on ice, we've observed the same thing with our Expedition's.

Our set has around 70,000 miles on them now and still have a fair bit of tread left but will probably be changed out for some new M/S2's before the end of the year.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

I truly believe on this vehicle there is NO other tire for it. I have had mine in all conditions--water, mud, snow, heat, towing and they are fantastic. I have 70K on mine with only 4/32" tread wear. They are quiet and handle like no other. The OEM Pirelli's were pathetic to say the least...

Question for you 2010. I have the factory goodyear AT/S tires with 30K on then and will hopefully go 50K which will take a while but I want to have a set of tires lined up when the time comes. I drive mostly highway but occasionally need to drive through fields and muddy slick conditions. I had my mind set on the AT3 or Silent Armor but with all the highway I do I'm wondering if I shouldnt get these instead. What kind of mud/off road use have you done with these tires? Of course I have the usual winter ice and deep snow but its the snow on top of wet ground/muddy ground that I've discovered tires have the most trouble. The AT/S wont go through that very well but my fathers duratracs will.

Mine have gone thru mud that was red clay.....about 6-8 inches deep.....have never tried East Texas or Southern US black gumbo mud with these tires

Has anyone used these up here in the North, or at least on a Tundra? I stopped at a shop to get a quote on a set; I forget if it was AS or MS. But he was kinda steering me towards the Destination LE2's; much cheaper and he said similar life: he said to not expect more than 40k on anything I put onto the truck.

Just did not jive with what I heard here and elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Question for you 2010. I have the factory goodyear AT/S tires with 30K on then and will hopefully go 50K which will take a while but I want to have a set of tires lined up when the time comes. I drive mostly highway but occasionally need to drive through fields and muddy slick conditions. I had my mind set on the AT3 or Silent Armor but with all the highway I do I'm wondering if I shouldnt get these instead. What kind of mud/off road use have you done with these tires? Of course I have the usual winter ice and deep snow but its the snow on top of wet ground/muddy ground that I've discovered tires have the most trouble. The AT/S wont go through that very well but my fathers duratracs will.

The snow that I have plodded through has been snow (loose and packed) on top of frozen ground and snow that is on top of mud--like in CO when it cannot decide if it will rain or snow. These tires have handled both with ease. The "gumbo" mud (consists of clay and sand) that we have here is Texas does not slow the truck much. Now, of course, I have not gone "mudding" to see how deep they can manage, but I would say for the average Joe, these tires are all around the best. I will replace them with another set when these finally go--the ROI is incredible.

2wd 4runner could not make it up the mountain pass to our place on ms2s especially ice. Only way up with them was by foot. Bridgestone blizzaks dmv1 had no problem ascending on ice.

I had the original M/S on my '95 Nissan 4x4 truck and they worked a treat in snow 8" deep. I think the key is the excellent (and full depth) tread siping. I'd buy them again in a minute if they came in a size I was shopping.

Interesting. I'm still on the fence for my truck, and really want LTX's. I have a spreadsheet going for it... Anyhow, for my tire (255/70R18) I couldn't find MS but the 245/60R18 (not really close) was only 440AB rated, with 11/32's and 32lb. The newer M/S2 is unknown tread, 720AA and 38lb. Tirerack reviews seem to love this tire too; my (current) runner up, the LE2, is 520AB, 40lb and a good $50 apiece cheaper.

Real question is, I wonder how fast traction drops off as tread wears off.

Originally Posted By: supton
Real question is, I wonder how fast traction drops off as tread wears off.

With the Michelins, you will find that it won't (drop off). The Michelins have full depth siping. This helps to sustain the new tire behavior until WELL into a tire's life. The Michelin Cross Terrains on our MDX are at 4/32", and they do give up some to new in terms of water evacuation, but traction itself is still very good.

If you closely inspect the Destination LE2s, you will note that the siping is not full depth. This will negatively impact performance as the tire wears.

Good to know. Interesting that Michelin "knows" how to make the tire last longer.

In a few ten thousand miles I'm going to wish the LTX MS2 was available in the size for the Traverse. But alas there appears to be very few tires in that size.

We had the original LTX MS on the expedition, and they were phenomenal. I can only imagine (and from what I've heard, this appears to be true) that the 2nd generation is even better than the first.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
In a few ten thousand miles I'm going to wish the LTX MS2 was available in the size for the Traverse.

Not to go OT, but...I had a GMC Acadia and lamented the poor availability of the tire choices to point of trading it on my FX4 (three sets of tires in 96K). The Goodyear Fortera HL Editions (only brand available at the time and OEM to boot) were the absolute worst major brand name tire I have ever owned...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back