I think my tire is flat ... can you take a look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few weeks ago I informed a friend of mine (the one with the Accord at 11,000 miles on conventional oil) that his tire was low. When I inflated it, I noticed it was leaking around the bead.

I told him to bring it to walmart or any tire shop and have them reseal the bead with some bead sealant.

Last night I got a call that he thought his tire was flat.

Uh ... I'd say so

1461127_727022356233_2002834091_n.jpg

So I used some starting fluid to try to seat the bed, but didn't want to use too much on the alloy wheel. Ended up using a rachet strap with my compressor and got it seated.

He brought it to walmart and got it sealed up around the bead.

How far did they go on the tire? If it was any distance at all I'd worry about damage to the sidewall.
Forking out for a new tire might make them rethink their maintenance strategy.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Last night I got a call that he thought his tire was flat.

Uh ... I'd say so

Mmmmm yeah I tend to agree as it just doesn't seem quite right

I dont think it was too far. The wheel doesn't look to have been damaged. Walmart did it without problem, so I'm assuming there is no damage to the sidewall?

I did more damage to the sidewall of my Nokian tires driving 50 feet with one flat and not knowing it.

There seems to be a heat ring clearly visible in that photo. As well as what appears to be a possible section of the bead that is torn. Even if the beads were able to be re-seated and sealed up with bead sealer, I would not trust that tire as the heat ring indicates the structure of the sidewall has been compromised. If when the tire was taken completely off the wheel for further inspection, there was any 'run-flat-rubber-powder' noticed or even a heat ring noticed upon the interior of the liner/sidewall, the tire should not have been re-mounted.

I hate buying used cars (but I do) because of friends like yours. 11K on conventional? And now he is a rim rider? Please post his VIN so no one here ever ends up with that hunk o junk.

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
There seems to be a heat ring clearly visible in that photo. As well as what appears to be a possible section of the bead that is torn. Even if the beads were able to be re-seated and sealed up with bead sealer, I would not trust that tire as the heat ring indicates the structure of the sidewall has been compromised. If when the tire was taken completely off the wheel for further inspection, there was any 'run-flat-rubber-powder' noticed or even a heat ring noticed upon the interior of the liner/sidewall, the tire should not have been re-mounted.

I suspect the heat ring is from the person driving 70 or 80 on the highway with 5PSI in the tire. The bead, from what I could tell was fine. What looks like a ripped bead is actually corrosion from the alloy wheel.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I hate buying used cars (but I do) because of friends like yours. 11K on conventional? And now he is a rim rider? Please post his VIN so no one here ever ends up with that hunk o junk.

Don't worry. The car is over due for a timing belt. I suspect this car's demise will come in the form of timing belt failure.

I think most of us on here are the opposite. But this isn't out of the norm for what we see driving around.

It really is a beautiful car. A bit luxurious for my tastes, however. Last time I drove this car I was really impressed with no well it drove ... and the smoothness of the J30.

I check tire PSI weekly (even though I have TPMS), oil changes at recommended intervals and some thing like spark plugs, brakes, tires, batteries and steering components get replaced before they need to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

I'd go 11K on conventional as long as it wasn't city driving.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: ChrisW

I suspect the heat ring is from the person driving 70 or 80 on the highway with 5PSI in the tire. The bead, from what I could tell was fine. What looks like a ripped bead is actually corrosion from the alloy wheel.

Exactly the problem. Ill bet if you pulled that tire off the rim, you would find a burnt rubber smell and powdered rubber in it. The powder is the inner lining falling apart. That tire is done.
I drove 2 miles at 75 with a bad valve stem before I stopped because it was on the rim and I had a cooked tire. It doesnt take much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back