Crooked Gas Station?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

and was ready for me to start pumping it suddenly showed a 3 cent balance and a tiny fraction of fuel pumped???

Now I realize it is just 3 cents but it is the point of the whole thing. I hadn't pumped anything yet( the nozzle was still in my hand out in the open )but it already had me owing money.
mad.gif
So, I went in fully planning to give them the benefit of the doubt that the pump may be malfunctioning. The clerk at the register that I spoke with tried to tell me it was impossible and argued with me about it. That set me off right there and I started getting mad and said maybe I should call the Police and then the State and let them know you are ripping people off. .....

Good grief, this seems like a lot of turmoil for three cents.

The customer ahead of you drained the hose after the pump shut off.

End of story.

Why people do this, I don't know, but I watched them do it when gas was $0.21 cent / gallon, and they still do it when it's $2.69/gallon. Of course, the higher the price, the more perceptible this becomes to the next guy at the pump.

Why hose drainers do it has always been a mystery to me. Maybe they think they paid for that gas (they didn't - it belongs to the facility owner). Maybe they're tightwads or cheapskates. Maybe they think they're sticking it to the man in some small way. Who knows. But some people just do it - always have and always will.

Sure, it could be some grand conspiracy. A stupid one, but possible, I guess. A pump would have to shut on and off a thousand times a day to make a measly thirty bucks. Doing that a thousand times a day would guarantee some type of intervention by the regulators in short order, as well it should. So not only would it be stupid, it's a terrifically inefficient way of making thirty bucks compared to selling people stuff like beer, wine, cigs, pop, hot dogs, candy, etc., that actually generate profit. Maybe there are people that drop the price of a new Baron or two in a C-Store and then do these kind of stupid things to destroy their investment, but I doubt the world is awash in them.

The best way to handle this is to give you the three cents and apologize for something someone else actually did, because you should get the gas you paid for. That's what I would have done. I don't know why they would argue with you about it, that's a poor technique with customers. Unless this was their first day pumping gas, they would have to know that some people are hose drainers.

I don't know what it is about gasoline pricing that makes people go bat guano crazy in this country. I wish people would get this mad at the government over it - it makes all the money off the sale of it.

I wouldn't bend over to pick up a nickel, let alone go inside for a 3 cent dispute. I would however wonder if something was not right with that pump and move to the next pump.

And for anyone worried about using a cell phone at a pump...really? are you scared of space debris falling on your head also? Because the same # of people have died from both.

I know it was just 3 cents but I hope you all can understand why it ticked me off.

No, not at all. Can't relate to an anger outburst over 3 cents. Not worth causing a scene.

As has been posted at least twice, this is caused by "hose drainers", not a conspiracy.

Some of you are a hoot. It isn't about the 3 measly cents which some of you can't get through your heads. It is about being charged before I pumped so much as a drop of fuel. THAT is crooked and wrong even if it were 1 cent!

I got mad only because when I went in, and DIDN'T make a scene, the clerk started calling me a liar. I went in with a pleasant attitude to let them know there was something wrong with the pump. I wasn't worrying about the 3 cents but rather the fact I was being charged before pumping any fuel. I simply wanted t let them know. Once I got the attitude my demeanor changed accordingly.

The reaction of some here saying I am the one with the problem sure explains why this country is going into the pits. Honor, decency, civility, your word, etc... used to mean something. Wow.

With the existence of hose drainers, they need to either figure out how to meter that drainage (maybe at the spigot?) and bill the drainers for that fuel or the oil company needs to eat the loss. Or they need to go back to full-serve only.

If you drain the hose that you primed, isn't it a wash? I have a friend that literally lifts the hose in the air after turning off the pump and shakes it into his car. I laugh and have no idea if he is getting a drop of fuel in his tank, and there is no way I am touching that filthy hose.

In California the most complicated vapor recovery systems are required (some gas stations even went out of business when they couldn't afford them), so I'm guessing our pump handles aren't necessarily "primed" like most other states. I'll certainly tip out some gas, but I'm thinking it's better that it doesn't evaporate into the atmosphere.

There are exemptions for antique pumps. There was a place that still used them (they had over a dozen different styles of antique pumps), but the owner got out of the business and the new owner wasn't interested in maintaining them. I have personally seen one place with 1930s vintage gravity feed pumps. They're the kind that are hand pumped into a large glass cylinder with graduated markings. Then the pump is opened and the gas feeds via gravity. You're not allowed to do it yourself, although the pump handles and hoses appear to be more modern replacements for the original.

There was that Mercedes-Benz commercial where some actor seems to have the world around him in slow-mo, and he catches a drop of gas and puts it into the filler hole. Now that seemed a bit odd.

Quick math shows that to be about $3000.00 per year per pump. I'll take that any day of the week. Multiply that by the number of pumps in the US and we are talking money.

Smoky

Some of you are a hoot. It isn't about the 3 measly cents which some of you can't get through your heads. It is about being charged before I pumped so much as a drop of fuel. THAT is crooked and wrong even if it were 1 cent!

I got mad only because when I went in, and DIDN'T make a scene, the clerk started calling me a liar. I went in with a pleasant attitude to let them know there was something wrong with the pump. I wasn't worrying about the 3 cents but rather the fact I was being charged before pumping any fuel. I simply wanted t let them know. Once I got the attitude my demeanor changed accordingly.

The reaction of some here saying I am the one with the problem sure explains why this country is going into the pits. Honor, decency, civility, your word, etc... used to mean something. Wow.

IF the hose priming theory is correct, and the hose drainers start out at zero cents, are they not stealing 3 cents of gasolene? Wouldn't this break even for the station owner??

My wife handles conflict resolution much like you do. Get mad, don't resolve the issue, then punish yourself. Yes, punish yourself. You said you would probably not report the problem to effect a correction. You "show them" by eliminating a place where you can buy top tier fuel and other conveniences. Loss of your business will not make a dent in their profit and "if everybody does this" is not going to happen.

Sadly, we have brought much of this on ourselves. Our "cheapest cost" mentality has resulted in minimum wage zombies at the counters, i.e. big box auto parts stores.

You had the opportunity to "teach" the counter person AND manager how to handle these situations, but it seems that you "got mad" and lowered yourself to their level.

I agree that our country is going down the toilet, but your actions seem to just add to the fire without attempting to really change things for the better.

Just my 2 cents, based on my experiences with my better half.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

IF the hose priming theory is correct, and the hose drainers start out at zero cents, are they not stealing 3 cents of gasolene? Wouldn't this break even for the station owner??

My wife handles conflict resolution much like you do. Get mad, don't resolve the issue, then punish yourself. Yes, punish yourself. You said you would probably not report the problem to effect a correction. You "show them" by eliminating a place where you can buy top tier fuel and other conveniences. Loss of your business will not make a dent in their profit and "if everybody does this" is not going to happen.

Sadly, we have brought much of this on ourselves. Our "cheapest cost" mentality has resulted in minimum wage zombies at the counters, i.e. big box auto parts stores.

You had the opportunity to "teach" the counter person AND manager how to handle these situations, but it seems that you "got mad" and lowered yourself to their level.

I agree that our country is going down the toilet, but your actions seem to just add to the fire without attempting to really change things for the better.

Just my 2 cents, based on my experiences with my better half.

What can you do with folks like this? ^^^
33.gif

Hemi is right,gas stations are ripping people off a tiny bit at a time by either adding money before you pump,or continuing to add money after you shut the pump off and hang up the nozzle. I'm thinking one of those news journalism shows (Dateline/20-20/etc) did a show on it recently.

I will pickup even one penny that I see lying on the street, etc.
However, I would not waste my time over 3 cents at a gas pump.
Next time, I just buy my some place other than that station.

I can not comment on without knowing the ethnicity of the gas pump owner. I do wonder if that did play any role in this saga as described.

I got mad only because when I went in, and DIDN'T make a scene, the clerk started calling me a liar.

I'd simply check with weights and measures in your state and/or a local petroleum equipment consulting company. They'd be able to answer if this pump was set up correctly or not with respect to your state's legislation.

Unfortunately, the clerk will very, very likely have little to no understanding of the pump operation.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I can not comment on without knowing the ethnicity of the gas pump owner. I do wonder if that did play any role in this saga as described.

Clerk was I believe middle eastern of some type. The manager who came up was white. I don't know the owner.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas

33.gif

Getting serious, every pump usually has a seal and contact detail of the weights and measure inspector who last certified it. Any kind of funny behavior, and they certainly would be most interested in it.

(all gas stations are owned my middle eastern / asian guys these days, I mean eventually one runs out of more motels or 7/11 or dunkin donuts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back