Mobil 1 5w-30 or Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Focus ST

I drive pretty hard, some idle time and do a lot of highway as well and it's getting cold here in NH. I want the best oil for this 2.0 DI Ecoboost motor. I have always used Mobil 1 but am open so suggestions. Pennzoil Ultra or even Motorcraft Full Synthetic may be an option.

2014 Focus ST (stf)
Supplement, 1st Printing, June 2013 USA (fus)

Engine oil
5.7 quarts (5.4L)
•Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
•Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
•XO-5W30-QSP (US) •CXO-5W30-LSP12 (Canada) •XO-5W30-QFS (US) •CXO-5W30-LFS12 (Canada) / WSS-M2C946-A with API Certification Mark

Oil change is scheduled for tomorrow, I have 2900 miles on the car. I would like to follow the oil life monitor after this change.

You really cannot go wrong with any of those oils.

In my opinion there is no measurable benefit in using one of these oils over the other so I would read through their marketing information and pick which you like better or can get cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 10cent
You really cannot go wrong with any of those oils.

I agree; of the 3 listed M1 would be the cheapest (at least at WM). I considered MC full synthetic when I bought my FX4, but the cost and availability (outside of a Ford dealer) quickly steered me away. Both M1 and PU are easily the equivalent of MC.

Out of those two, M1 wins by default because of availability. And you've used it before without incident, so you know it is a great choice.

If you can actually find PU, there is certainly nothing wrong with it.

Of course, Napa Synthetic is still on sale this week. It is rebranded Synpower.

I prefer PU Euro 5w40 vs M1 0w40 in my Mercedes due to noise and I think also smoothness although I might need to try the M1 again to verify that.

M1 does get some acoustic complaints in other grades also.

Another consideration might be to choose the one which has viscosity closer to the recommended Motorcraft.

PU 5w30 > M1 5w30, imho. M1 meets the Hondatturbo spec so it's still a fine choice. If you can't get PU for $27 a jug like I can though I wouldn't search for it but Comparing my prices at Walmart it's $25 for M1 or $27 for PU .

For DI, the deciding factor would be lower NOACK volatility.

Otherwise flip a coin. They're both great oils.

Let's cut to the chase here:

Google "Eco Boost Hero engine." Take a look at what oil was used for the durability teardown for the Ford F150 a couple of years back. It was the "lowly" Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend. This engine was torn down in Detroit ( in front of a crowd automotive mechanics and fanatics), who know the difference between worn out engine from one in great condition.

Mobil 1 5W30 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 are both solid choices. However, until we see what a tortured and/or high mileage Ford engine looks like using those products, my money is on Motorcraft.

Full disclosure, I'm using from a 50 qt purchase of Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic a couple of years back. It was discontinued at Advance Auto Parts for $2/qt. Today, Motorcraft Full Synthetic can only be purchased from Ford dealers (for $7 to $8 qt). Kendall Full Synthetic is supposed to be a near clone of Motorcraft - so look up your state's Conoco Phillips distributor for a lower price.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

Google "Eco Boost Hero engine." Take a look at what oil was used for the durability teardown for the Ford F150 a couple of years back. It was the "lowly" Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend. This engine was torn down in Detroit ( in front of a crowd automotive mechanics and fanatics), who know the difference between worn out engine from one in great condition.

Mobil 1 5W30 and Pennzoil Ultra 5W30 are both solid choices. However, until we see what a tortured and/or high mileage Ford engine looks like using those products, my money is on Motorcraft.

Full disclosure, I'm using from a 50 qt purchase of Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic a couple of years back. It was discontinued at Advance Auto Parts for $2/qt. Today, Motorcraft Full Synthetic can only be purchased from Ford dealers (for $7 to $8 qt). Kendall Full Synthetic is supposed to be a near clone of Motorcraft - so look up your state's Conoco Phillips distributor for a lower price.

Eco Boost Hero engine teardown is on Youtube.

Thanks for posting this!
thumbsup2.gif
BITOG was getting pretty boring here lately.

Be cautious doing extended changes in that engine. They can be pretty rough on oil even if it has extra TBN. That is one engine I would UOA to figure out how it handles it.

Originally Posted By: nhkid
Thanks for all the input.

I went with Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 hoping to get to 10k mile oil change intervals.

Di and 10k mile oci are a controversial subject. If long oci are considered, Edge w/ti 5w30 has the highest TBN of these oils. Acording to the TEOST test referenced, EDGE w/ti also creates the least amount of deposits and PU would be tops when considering NOACK volatility. I'm sure M1 EP works just as well. At 7500 miles or less, I wouldnt pay for a UOA. But as stated by others here, that would be my max.

Last edited:
I run M1 EP 5W-30 in my MS3 and UOAs indicate that a 7,500 mile OCI is fairly conservative.

Isn't the 2.3L turbo engine in the MS3 a port injection engine? I'm not sure that's a fair comparison if it is, since the 2.0L ford engine is turbo+di and higher output per liter.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Isn't the 2.3L turbo engine in the MS3 a port injection engine? I'm not sure that's a fair comparison if it is, since the 2.0L ford engine is turbo+di and higher output per liter.

No, it is DI- and as for output it's a wash: the ST makes 126 bhp/liter while my motor(with a MSCAI) makes 125 bhp/liter.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

Here is a 12 quart case of Motorcraft Full Synthetic from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/5w20-Motorcraft-Full-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B00EDPV84A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back