52k, failing VTC actuator, out of warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello friends,

Looking for some suggestions on how I should proceed with this.

A few months after I bought My '09 Accord it had started to make a very quiet VTC actuator grind upon start. I didn't think much of it until I started reading online. In June of this year, with about 41.5k on the clock, I took my car to the dealer nearest me (not the same dealer I purchased from) for them to diagnose and potentially repair. The dealer had the car for a few days and said they did not hear anything and that the noise is normal "all Honda's do this". So I left thinking, "OK well if this is all, I'll just live with it". I was also told that I should use only Honda oil filters and I won't ever hear this again.

Fast forward to Saturday evening around 9:30pm (keep in mind, car continues to make mild VTC grind sound every other cold start). The car was sitting for about 14 hours and the ambient temperature was around 30 Fahrenheit. I start the car and have a super loud, typical, run of the mill VTC actuator grind. First time I have ever heard it this loud. This sounds just like the grind in the TSB 09-010.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I should or if I even could proceed? I'm hoping since I did take this to a dealer to be looked at while it was under warranty will help my case in getting this fixed. From reading online, it sounds as if every dealer tries to tell people that this is normal, or "it's the VTEC warming up". I am currently at 52,458 miles (as of this morning).

Should I write or call Honda of America and explain my situation to them?

Should I go back to the same dealer and have them look at the car again?

Should I go to the dealer I purchased the car from and have them look at it?

Do I even have any room for a case here?

Thanks for any and all help.

Absolutely, give corporate a call and tell them the whole story. IMO they should fix it no charge.

I think you have a good case but judging from what others have experienced dealing with Honda you going to have to go to war to get anything.
I hope thats not the case but be prepared and don't give up, the squeaky wheel gets greased.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Absolutely, give corporate a call and tell them the whole story. IMO they should fix it no charge.

Absolutely. Not only that but your car has a powertrain warranty 5yr/60k miles, I'm not sure where you are on years but it's got to be close and you're good on miles. Either way they should take care of you since it's so close.

Always,pick one dealer and get all work done by one dealership. Goodwill helps,if there is a problem. Honda is pretty good about taking care of it's customers.

OK so I am still in warranty. Wow, I don't know why I thought it was 5yr/50k. Thanks.

Try to deal with the service manager. Less likely to blow you off compared to a service advisor trying to upsell you like crazy. No upsell potential, then they try to get rid of you. Pat you on the back and say, atta boy while pushing you out the door.

A guy on the Accord forum has the exact same problem. Same dealer, same car, same mileage, same color and even the same username.
laugh.gif

LOL go figure Satin? I think I know that fella.

Also, I been going through some links and now realize I have the oil pump whine as per TSB 09-084.

I'm expressing my concerns with Honda Customer Service now via Twitter. Will probably call this afternoon as well. Got to love social media these days.

I don't know if Honda still does this, but they would often replace parts that failed near the end of warranty, to improve their reputation as a good company. However, my dad said most of that happened in the late 80s to mid 1990s.

WOW is all I can say.

Yesterday I went to the dealer I originally purchased the car from. The service adviser was very friendly and understood all of my concerns. Very professional fella too. I asked him about the VTC actuator and he told me this: "we're not supposed to say this, but it is a very common problem with these cars". I left my car and was shuttled via their van about 50 minutes back to my house, quite a hike and I was appreciative of the ride!

I got a call from the dealer and I was "that guy". The guy who forgets to tell the techs/service writer where the wheel lock key was. Anyrate, they weren't mad still very friendly, but I felt like an idiot.

I asked about the car, and was curious why they needed the wheel lock (I know the TSB states that they wheel needs to be removed for something). They said that they were going to replace the VTC actuator. They were not able to reproduce the problem, but they know how this is a common problem and don't want to have to keep me coming in. Also, after they replace the VTC actuator, they are going to check into the oil pump while.

Impressed with the level of service so far. Even though this place is a good jaunt from my house, I think it is a far cry from the dealer close to me.

Last edited:
A good service department is worth the trip. I love the one I use and would not buy a car from another dealership so long as they continue to treat me right.

ref

Maybe ask them for a gas card for the added length of time it takes you to get there.
laugh.gif

The $10 or so in added fuel cost will EASILY wash out when you consider the car is in competent hands.

That's great. As soon as I started reading your post I thought, "oh boy here we go." But that was a pleasant surprise. Glad to read that.

Esp, since redhat does his own oil changes/basic maintenance and only has to go there for repairs like this one.

Yes it sure does make the difference, and Satin is right, I'm a shade-tree mechanic to the tee. If this wasn't under warranty, you'd probably see me clearing out the garage and pulling the intake cam from my little K24.

I went to West-Herr Honda in Lockport, NY. I was very pleased with them. Tech did look into the oil pump in regards to the TSB but did not think it was loud at all and wasn't worried about it -- I am OK with that.

No grinds this morning with starting, will give and update as the days go on. If my future service requests go as pleasant as this one with West-Herr Honda, I'll definitely purchase another Honda from them. I'm also tempted to send a nice "kudos" e-mail to either the GM or Service Director of the dealership. Does that ever give any of the guys there a pat on the back?

Originally Posted By: redhat
...If my future service requests go as pleasant as this one with West-Herr Honda, I'll definitely purchase another Honda from them. I'm also tempted to send a nice "kudos" e-mail to either the GM or Service Director of the dealership. Does that ever give any of the guys there a pat on the back?

I think you should. They usually only hear from p!ssed off people and should be made to know what they did right and how those actions could be rewarding for them in the future so they might keep repeating it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
I'm also tempted to send a nice "kudos" e-mail to either the GM or Service Director of the dealership. Does that ever give any of the guys there a pat on the back?

I absolutely would write a note thanking them for the excellent customer service.

I would also send a copy to Honda corporate. When the dealer hears good news from Mother ship then they really feel good about that. They may even be recognized for it which helps them continue the excellent service. Plus it's good for not only you but other people that come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back