Nissan Rogue oil drain/filter location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm borrowing this while someone is on vacation. I'm also going to pick them up at the airport in their own car. However, I figure I'll be nice and get the oil changed since I know it hasn't been changed that often. It'll be my payment for putting miles on their car, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter to them.

I've been reading all sorts of DIY guides to do this particular job, and all of them involve either jack stands or ramps. I got down and had a good look. With the wheels straight I was able to reach the drain bolt. I could also reach inside the wheel well and see where the filter shield is. Am I missing something here? Every guide I see show the vehicle being lifted, but it seems pretty simple to me.

I guess it also needs an M12 crush washer. The one that Nissan dealers sell are the weirdest looking crush washers I've seen.

11026-01M02%20Oil%20Plug%20Crush%20Rings.jpg

I would assume the videos you are watching are people doing things their way. If you could reach everything you need to reach without ramps or jackstands, then I would just do the oil/filter change as planned. There are different ways of skinning a cat.

I am no expert on the Rogue, so I can't speak about the washer.

Yeah, I agree. If you can reach everything without raising the vehicle, go for it.

You will need a crush washer as in your picture. Torque spec for the oil drain plug is 25 ft/lbs.

I have changed the oil on my fiancee's Rogue seveal times. I drive the car up on these short, homemade ramps I have. It lifts the front about 4 inches. I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. This gives plenty of access to the filter. I have never replaced the crush washer and I've never had any problems with leaks.

Remember "No good deed goes unpunished"

I dont know if Id service someone else property without being commissioned to do so.

Have you helped serviced this car as a favour in the past?

Good luck, regardless
smile.gif

I'll just drop the charade. It's my parents' vehicle. I've never worked on this car, but I've changed the oil in every vehicle they've owned since 1989 except for this one. I'm sure I won't get in trouble. I've done it all the time.

They do favors for us like take our kid for an afternoon, and I'll give them airport rides. I've also jumped their dead batteries after a vacation, although this time I hooked up a maintainer.

This thing is extremely low mileage, and for the most it looks like they didn't care about the 6 month interval for schedule 1. I don't think it's that critical, and the 5 yr powertrain warranty is over.

Besides that, I just have the itch to do something. It's cheap therapy. I stopped by a dealer today to get the OEM crush washer. $1.02 plus tax. I asked about the oil filter and they want $8.50. I looked up the aftermarket filters for this car, and apparently the Purolator PL14612 filters I've got for my WRX are good for this car too. I'm actually looking to use the couple I have and get the Wix filters with the high bypass pressure that Subaru specs.

Oh, well if it's your parents and you have done stuff for them before ... that changes the game completely. I thought it was for a friend or a coworker.

Do it up!

The "service engine soon" light also went on while I was driving it. I recently got an OBDII scanner and scanned the trouble code. It said EVAP leak, although I thought it might have been a loose gas cap. I just reset it and it hasn't come back on after 200 miles.

So finally got to it. I turned the wheels to the right, which helped a bit with giving more room to get to the filter. I don't think I needed it though. I had to reach a bit for the plug, but it was pretty easy. The plug actually had a Nissan type copper crush washer on it, but I can't tell if it was installed at the last change or if whoever did it left on an old one. The filter there is a Champ, so I think it was from a shop.

Now I can't get that tiny oil filter off. It's cranked on super tight, and all attempts to get to it with a claw filter wrench haven't worked. I think it's maybe a shade under 2-3/4". The filter is just to small for the teeth to dig in. So it's sitting in the garage now until I can get a filter wrench - probably a good idea to have one anyways. I thought of maybe getting a universal one for small filters at AutoZone, but it's a little late to go out now. Maybe in the morning.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accesso...entifier=297190

On most Nissans, it's easiest to change the oil when the RF tire is removed.

For the filter, I would attack it with a pliers type wrench. The splashshield covering it can be removed after you disengage a couple of plastic push-pins.

So I picked up the parents and told them about the oil change. They don't really care one way or the another, but told me that they got the oil changed about 2 weeks before they left at a local Goodyear shop. Something about their $15 oil change special. I guess I don't feel that bad about it since I probably put about 1600 miles on it myself before I changed the oil. The filter they used was a Champ with the cheesy plastic bypass. Not sure of the oil, but I thought their ads have a photo of a bottle of 76 motor oil.

It's got a PureOne on it now and I've got another one at home. I'll probably do it again for them in 6 months.

I use a black plastic oil filter wrench--molded to fit the filter ridges and it fits a 3/8 inch socket. That does suck if the oil change jockeys overtightened the filter or drain plug. You can bet the Goodyear shop did NOT change the crush washer (the same one fits almost all newer Nissans). BTW 76 Super is a better than average synthetic blend oil.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I use a black plastic oil filter wrench--molded to fit the filter ridges and it fits a 3/8 inch socket. That does suck if the oil change jockeys overtightened the filter or drain plug. You can bet the Goodyear shop did NOT change the crush washer (the same one fits almost all newer Nissans). BTW 76 Super is a better than average synthetic blend oil.

I figured they didn't change the washer and just left the one stuck to the plug from the last dealer oil change.

As for the "service engine soon" light, I mentioned it to my dad and he said that that code had been there before and it the fuel system was supposed to be fixed - at the Goodyear shop.

I just ordered a bunch of ordinary M12 copper crush washers. No particular reason why I couldn't use them on the Rogue or maybe a Camry? Over the years I've used fiber/aluminum/copper/steel+rubber/nylon and never really had a leak unless there was some sort of defect with the washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back