Pennzoil Yellow vs. Mobil Super 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is no perfect oil for all situations but is there any quantifiable difference between PYB and MS5K that could make one better over the other? I've done 2 fills of MS5K in my Ranger because I've seen some good UOAs and its so cheap. But I think my engine isn't as quiet on it, especially on startup. I might go back to PYB. Is there a scientific explanation to what I am experiencing?

No, but I would use PYB over Mobil Super. Maybe PYB has a better add pack, I know it has group II+ basestocks.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Mobil 5000 is good, but PYB is better.

Now you tell me. . . . . .after I go and do a complete oil change with Mobil 5000 yesterday.
33.gif

I've used MS5K for all 155k in my Subaru and I don't believe things would be any different today if I had used PYB.

Well I've seen nothing on this site to show that PYB is any better or worse than any other of the major brands at doing anything. Go with the one that you like best, that engine will not know the difference.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Well I've seen nothing on this site to show that PYB is any better or worse than any other of the major brands at doing anything. Go with the one that you like best, that engine will not know the difference.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554
I've used MS5K for all 155k in my Subaru and I don't believe things would be any different today if I had used PYB.

You managed to put on 155k (miles?) in the 2-1/2 years since Mobil Super 5000 has been on the market? Or maybe going back to previous Mobil conventional oil brands like Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Drive Clean, or just Mobil Motor Oil?

I seem to remember it was "Mobil Super" back in the 90s. Came in a generic style bottle with a narrow mouth.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
mobil is just as good and cheaper. this is an easy decision for me to make.

At this point there really is nothing that really differentiates PYB, Valvoline, MS5K, QS, Castrol GTX, Kendall GT-1, Havoline, or Chevron Supreme. I'm all for experimenting, but as I heard one person once say it might be better to simply pick one brand and stay consistent. Something about a better likelihood of additive compatibility.

Of course even these days additives change all the time even with the same exact brand name and most definitely do on a change to the next API service category. Heck - I remember when I bought four bottles of Kendall GT-1 with exactly the same label and API service category. Two were very different. Two had a "sweet" odor, while two had this acrid sulfur-like odor (like most motor oil these days) and a darker color. I figured they probably reformulated, but decided to use them together anyways.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Flip a coin, but don't compare Gtx to either because Pyb and m5k is clearly superior to GTX.

Based on what? A VOA by pqia that shows Moly, Boron, etc. There are plenty of additives that can trump either of those that will not show up on a voa. Because I have not seen a UOA on here that show GTX as being inferior to PYB. That may be your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that, but one that is not based on facts.

Last edited:
To the original post:
Most likely the new noise you hear isn't the oil, it's the oil filter.

Have you changed brands?

I've heard many different sounds on all 3 of my vehicles, and I have changed filters and the sound, good or bad sounds I wasn't sure, but it went away.

I have just under 200,000 miles on my 2002 Ford Taurus, and I've used a lot of Mobil's Conventional oils and Chevron Supreme. I've also had some runs of Pennzoil Max-life here and there.
I Don't remember any PYB, but I've had many many lube shops change the oil over the years. So I guess I've had a LOT of 3,000 mile OCI's, back when I didn't know better.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Mobil 5000 is good, but PYB is better.

What data do you have to prove this statement? I ran MS5K for a 10K OCI with no issues. I am not saying that PYB is worse, but MS5K is certainly the equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back