Pennzoil Yellow vs. Mobil Super 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Mobil 5000 is good, but PYB is better.

What data do you have to prove this statement? I ran MS5K for a 10K OCI with no issues. I am not saying that PYB is worse, but MS5K is certainly the equivalent.

I would use either oil but I've seen plenty of fantastic UOA's and my personal experiences with Pennzoil tells me that oil is better than Mobil. I love the cleaning capabilities of it.

I'll put on my flame suit and you can fire away.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I know there is no perfect oil for all situations but is there any quantifiable difference between PYB and MS5K that could make one better over the other? I've done 2 fills of MS5K in my Ranger because I've seen some good UOAs and its so cheap. But I think my engine isn't as quiet on it, especially on startup. I might go back to PYB. Is there a scientific explanation to what I am experiencing?

I remember reading that boron helps keep noise down. Looking at PQIA, PYB has a good dose but MS5k doesn't.

What data do you have to prove this statement? I ran MS5K for a 10K OCI with no issues. I am not saying that PYB is worse, but MS5K is certainly the equivalent.

I would use either oil but I've seen plenty of fantastic UOA's and my personal experiences with Pennzoil tells me that oil is better than Mobil. I love the cleaning capabilities of it.

I'll put on my flame suit and you can fire away.

Evidence of cleaning capabilities? Data to support?

Other than some flimsy marketing claims by SOPUS, does anyone on here have "proof" that PYB cleans any more than any other oil?

I would use either oil but I've seen plenty of fantastic UOA's and my personal experiences with Pennzoil tells me that oil is better than Mobil. I love the cleaning capabilities of it. I'll put on my flame suit and you can fire away.

No flame suit needed; just wanted to know if you had data or was simply sharing a personal anecdote. I have not seen where either oil "runs away from the other" in a contest, though there are some who believe that moly is better than titanium and therefore PYB gets the nod.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
MS5K gives me the warm fuzzies

And its pretty also! So bright and clear, not dark like some!

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
MS5K gives me the warm fuzzies

And its pretty also! So bright and clear, not dark like some!

Like that means anything either.

Seriously, why are we splitting hairs? I'm sick of people asking for factual data every time you say you like something better than something else. Who gives a [censored]?

PYB has a good amount of Boron and MS5K has almost none. That may be the reason for the increase in engine noise with the switch. Boron performs the same task as ZDDP, but doesn't need heat to be activated, so it will quell noises right from startup.

I would bet that not only will MS5K equal or better PYB, but so will Mobil Special. Those 10k UOA's we have seen on SuperTech, have been of the XOM variant, which is rebottled Mobil Special.

Seriously, why are we splitting hairs? I'm sick of people asking for factual data every time you say you like something better than something else. Who gives a [censored]?

Because there are enough myths/fables/inaccuracies floating around that when someone makes an opinion based statement in the guise of a fact such as "Mobil 5000 is good, but PYB is better." without something other than personal experience to back it up, you can expect to be called out about it. Yes, of course these are semantics, but this is a (for the most part) fact based board and we all like to have the facts not supposition. I am not beating you up, just trying explain the rationale or at least my interpretation of the condition (which, of course, could be completely wrong).
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back