Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic or Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: buster
The red bottle MaxLife does have a good slug of synthetic in it. It's just not a full syn. Same additive package as the full syn MaxLife.

most blends are 5% syn oil... Most people think its 50/50 ....

some are not even 5%

better to go FULL SYN IMO.... Blend the oil companies make huge $ off it.
its one of there biggest $ maker as far as cost and sales and amount sold.

crackmeup2.gif
40.gif

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]
Originally Posted By: novice123
Valvoline does not recommend using synthetic oil if the vehicle already contains a leak."

Are they not referring to Max Life?

i think you have to take it at face value, don't use full syn if you have an oil leak

Ever hear of ATP AT-205 Re-Seal ?
that is the real deal!

Do you sell this stuff?

The blend is sufficient and has a good slug of synthetic in it, more than 5% I beleive. The specs are very similar to the full syn.

If you are experiencing leaks, stick with the semi-synthetic. The only advantage synthetic would give you is you would be leaking a more expensive oil.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Synthetic oils have a tendency to leak even more if you have leaky seals. Granted, I don't know if this tendency exists in HM synthetic oils like Mobil 1 HM or Maxlife Synthetic. Personally, I would just try the regular off the shelf Maxlife (blend). If that doesn't help, and you live in a warm climate, try the 10W30 weight. Once engine warms up it should flow as well as 5W30, but when the car is sitting in a garage it should be a little thicker than 5W30 hopefully reducing the leak.

My thoughts as well.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Synthetic oils have a tendency to leak even more if you have leaky seals. Granted, I don't know if this tendency exists in HM synthetic oils like Mobil 1 HM or Maxlife Synthetic. Personally, I would just try the regular off the shelf Maxlife (blend). If that doesn't help, and you live in a warm climate, try the 10W30 weight. Once engine warms up it should flow as well as 5W30, but when the car is sitting in a garage it should be a little thicker than 5W30 hopefully reducing the leak.
Does this mean most of the leaking occurs on startup or cool down as the car is sitting?

Leaks happen when the car is running, unless the leak is the drain plug. If you look at Valvoline's PDS sheets on red bottle vs. full syn MaxLife, there is not a lot of difference. Also, with the discontinuation (sp?) of DuraBlend, red bottle MaxLife is beefed up to meet/exceed GM Dexos specs-that's the way I go.

Thanks,man. I got some Mobil super HM ready to go,since I have been running M1,but,will try Maxlife red if the Super HM doesn't work. I agree that,the blend,is the way to go.

remember reading that blends are 30% max by rule no mininum, oil co.'s like to keep you guessing, even amsoil answered an e-mail with the propriety BULL as to what group oils they use in their different products. i do not think i will be paying their higher prices for a product like signature series when thet can't state in print what they use, as they now sell cheaper OE spec oil which valvoline synpower specs compare well, prolly my new choice and is a dexos I oil, they let you easily access their specs unlike others that seem to hide theirs

Originally Posted By: benjy
remember reading that blends are 30% max by rule no mininum, oil co.'s like to keep you guessing, even amsoil answered an e-mail with the propriety BULL as to what group oils they use in their different products. i do not think i will be paying their higher prices for a product like signature series when thet can't state in print what they use, as they now sell cheaper OE spec oil which valvoline synpower specs compare well, prolly my new choice and is a dexos I oil, they let you easily access their specs unlike others that seem to hide theirs

Not true. Pennzoil Synthetic Blend Dexos is at least 50% synthetic (from their website).

In the last few years I have tried to stop 2 different rear main seal leaks using M1 High Mileage. In both cases the results were nil - oil leak continued unabated - same as before. A friend with an old Camry had a rear main seal leak and I recommended regular Maxlife - it slowed down his leak considerably. IMO use semi-syn if you have a leak already and full synthetic if you're trying to prevent one in the future.

Originally Posted By: benjy
i do not think i will be paying their higher prices for a product like signature series when thet can't state in print what they use, as they now sell cheaper OE spec oil which valvoline synpower specs compare well, prolly my new choice and is a dexos I oil, they let you easily access their specs unlike others that seem to hide theirs

What's Valvoline synthetic's dexos1 license number? I don't see them on the dexos1 list and they don't claim dexos1 licensing on their website, and I haven't seen dexos1 logos on their bottles.

the 10w-xx cold temp pump test are the same for all oils , 10w-30 , 10w-40 must meet the same Dynamic Viscosity standard. Same is true for 0w , 5w , 10w , 15w , 20w, 25w .

Kinematic Viscosity 40 weight oil can have different High Temp High Shear rate.

0w-40, 5w-40 , 10w-40 , HT/HS > 2.9
15w-40 , 20w-40 , 25w-40 , HT/HS > 3.7

They all have the same Kinematic Viscosity of 40

Originally Posted By: novice123
Thanks. The Full Syn version is not available in any retail stores near me. I can get it on Amazon, and the price difference between that and the blend in the retail stores is very little. One other question. I live in Los Angeles where it does not get very cold. If the 5-30 does not help, should I try the 10-30? Or, it is better to stay at 5-30 as recommended and use Bar's or something else for the seep.
Thanks

You can get it cheap at any NAPA auto parts store in your area, and if they do not have in stock they will have it in 1 hour. I was happy not to have to use AMAZON for this OIL.

I dunno why most places to not sell it like Walmart of Autozone, I asked the guy at NAPA and he says the only stock whats ordered and not picked up, for instance if someone orders 10 Quarts and it comes in 6QT boxes then the would stock 2 quarts on the shelf at the same price as say Mobil 1 or even less $.

So google napa and see if there is 1 nearby you .

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: buster
The red bottle MaxLife does have a good slug of synthetic in it. It's just not a full syn. Same additive package as the full syn MaxLife.

most blends are 5% syn oil... Most people think its 50/50 ....

some are not even 5%

better to go FULL SYN IMO.... Blend the oil companies make huge $ off it.
its one of there biggest $ maker as far as cost and sales and amount sold.

That's a pretty cynical viewpoint: which blends are less the 5%? Of course, we don't know for sure the % of synthetic manufacturers put in blends, but Pennzoil Gold says on the bottle the syn portion is 50%, which is probably typical. Plus any blend that meets the Dexos1 spec has to have a pretty high syn percentage as well.

Its the first blend oil I have ever seen say that and you are correct however all the others I have read about do not say 50% and if they were 50% im sure they would state it like it does here... Good call buddy.

Pennzoil Synthetic Blend dexos1 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil

The dexos specification holds motor oils to the same stringent requirements as GM's most advanced engine technology. GM dexos1™ testing contains specific proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards. Meaning, GM dexos1™ approved oils exceed the performance of today's conventional oil.

Benefits of Pennzoil® Synthetic Blend dexos1™ Motor Oil

Specially formulated for use in all GM vehicles
Helps prevent sludge and other damaging deposits
Provides proven wear protection
Controls high-temperature oxidation and deposits
Contains at least 50% synthetic base oil for added oxidation stability, improved volatility and low temperature properties
Backed by the Pennzoil Lubrication Limited Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back