B&S generator oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a B&S "Storm Responder" 5500 watt portable generator after Sandy last year. I ran it for 2 1/2 hours last year and emptied the FF and replaced with the B&S 5W-30 synthetic. I didn't need to use it after that. It was not leaking at the case as many others I saw returned to Lowe's, where I work. I thought I got off lucky. But after running it for over 3 hours and shutting it off recently I noticed it was leaking oil enough to put a couple of drops on a cardboard sheet. Left a drop or two overnight. Replaced the cardboard and so far no more leaks. Anybody have any experience with these B&S engines leaking? And if so was it serious leaks or were they small or stopped eventually. The generator runs great and I hate to mess with it, even under warranty if the leak remains small or stops. If anybody had this leak did you find out what the actual cause of it was?

Whimsey

I have a Troybilt 5500 watt I bought from Lowes about 8 years ago. I haven't had any leak or usage problems yet. It only gets ran periodically and no heavy usage in the 8 years I've owned it. I use 30wt HD. If it's under warranty I'd take it back and exchange it for another one. Just my luck it would start pouring oil just after the warranty expires.

I just got a free generator from my boss with a briggs OHV engine. It had leaked enough oil to cause damage, even though it had a low oil shut off.

He thought it was the gasket between the two case halves. The case gasket was fine, but I found a plastic oil fill cap that was cracked. This caused the oil to run out the cap and down the bottom of the case, making it look like the case was leaking.

I guess they don't build things like they used to.

My B&S generator was built in 1971. It has the same engine, runs great, doesn't leak, doesn't burn oil, and has strong compression. There's a few hundred hours on it, don't know exactly as we never kept track. It has had the oil changed regularly and the points replaced.

At 3000 watts, 117.2 volts and 60.3 hertz.

7hp Briggs flathead.

Thanks everybody for your great responses. I'll run it for another 3+ hours shortly and see if it still leaks after a while, it's clean and dry right now, weird. I have a 2 year warranty on the engine. I'm just coming up on the first year on 11/5. It really does run great and I hate to change the engine. If need be I'll push for a fix of the leaking crankcase of mine instead.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back