Formula 1 is lacklustre this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rules are ridiculous these days. DRS is a good example. It would be ok if it was totally controlled by the driver, and not a "You shall pass here" type of deal. Then it'd be interesting to see who's got the balls to take corners with the flap open.

Originally Posted By: zpa
The rules are ridiculous these days. DRS is a good example. It would be ok if it was totally controlled by the driver, and not a "You shall pass here" type of deal. Then it'd be interesting to see who's got the balls to take corners with the flap open.

For practice and qualifying in 2012, the drivers had full control of the DRS, and there were a few incidents because of that, mostly because of opening the flap a bit too soon on corner exit. I don't think it really added anything as the reduction in downforce was too much compared to the drag reduction to actually take a corner faster, so its basically just used on the straights.
If the drivers could fine tune the rear wing then it might help if a driver finds he has understeer during a race.

Originally Posted By: zpa
Then it'd be interesting to see who's got the balls to take corners with the flap open.

Vettel kicked the heck out of everyone last race already. How much of a lead would he have accumulated had he, as the leader, been able to use DRS, and use it at will?

Just wait till next year with KIMI back at Ferrari. If he and Fernando can both get along, the Tifosi will be back.

Originally Posted By: Nyati
Just wait till next year with KIMI back at Ferrari. If he and Fernando can both get along, the Tifosi will be back.

Is Ferrari going to magically learn how to use a wind tunnel? I don't care what driver line up they have, they will continue to be mid pack until they figure out the aero.

I'm expecting the biggest improvement to come from McLaren next year. I suspect it will be RB, Merc, and McLaren volleying around top 3 with Ferrari mixed in every now and then.

The heart of F1 was always engine technology, but that has been supplanted by the chassis and aerodynamics as of late. I hate the current rev-limited V8 formula. One of the best eras was that of the 3.5L naturally aspirated engines. Teams could use whatever configuration they wanted (V8, V10, V12, even W12!) and there was no limit on RPM.

Hopefully the new turbo era will spice things up a little and Honda's re involvement in the sport is good news.

Except for engine system failures and running out of gas, the only fireworks next year will happen off track (which is actually normal for F1).

Predictions: FA throwing multiple hissies behind closed doors until he's 'rested' by Ferrari. Then joins McL-Honda for one miserable unreliable retirement-fund year (2015) and retires.
NH and RG actually racing each other at Lotus (as long as they can figure out all the new buttons on the steering wheel and don't run out of gas).

Surprise unintended consequence: Pirelli's hard conservative 2014 tires leads to no offline marbles, so there may be some actual racing for position (until they run out of gas three laps from end).

In summary: unreliability and running out of gas determines outcome of all 2014 races, except Monaco, where Vettel takes pole in Newey's ultra-complex car and crawls around at the head of the world's most expensive parade until the finish without running out of gas. Monaco cancelled for 2015, in honor of Bernie's death (found auto-asphyxiated in his jail cell).

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Except for engine system failures and running out of gas, the only fireworks next year will happen off track (which is actually normal for F1).

Predictions: FA throwing multiple hissies behind closed doors until he's 'rested' by Ferrari. Then joins McL-Honda for one miserable unreliable retirement-fund year (2015) and retires.
NH and RG actually racing each other at Lotus (as long as they can figure out all the new buttons on the steering wheel and don't run out of gas).

Surprise unintended consequence: Pirelli's hard conservative 2014 tires leads to no offline marbles, so there may be some actual racing for position (until they run out of gas three laps from end).

In summary: unreliability and running out of gas determines outcome of all 2014 races, except Monaco, where Vettel takes pole in Newey's ultra-complex car and crawls around at the head of the world's most expensive parade until the finish without running out of gas. Monaco cancelled for 2015, in honor of Bernie's death (found auto-asphyxiated in his jail cell).

Tosh, what you mention about tires is interesting. Has there been confirmation of this change in '14? If they reduce the amount of clag/marbles and drivers aren't afraid to get off-line and be bold it will go a long way to making races more interesting.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns26672.html

There's more torque next year, and Pirelli hasn't been allowed to track test yet (partly since there's no 2014 car ready), so for now all they can do is threaten to quit. (Throwing a corporate hissy fit is the only way to get any attention in F1.) These absurd behind-the-scenes scenarios and ultimatums among the FIA, F1 teams, and mega corporations are the reason I follow F1. The racing itself is artificial and gimmicky at best, and predetermined by spending at worst.
BTW, I have absolutely NO sympathy for Pirelli, who knew exactly who they were getting into bed with and have been embarrassing themselves on track with their limp 2-lap tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tosh
BTW, I have absolutely NO sympathy for Pirelli, who knew exactly who they were getting into bed with and have been embarrassing themselves on track with their limp 2-lap tires.

But that doesn't excuse how much of a dictatorial a$$ Ecclestone is by hindering his own series. As for the "2-lap tires", wasn't that what they were told to make?
This is one of the reasons I like sports car racing, it's more pure. You know that the Michelins a plurality of cars run at Le Mans are developed to be as good as they can with few compromises, double-stint with no loss in grip. Meanwhile at F1, 'please make us tires that go off after a few laps to force pit drama since the BOP between the top spending teams is so tight that's all we've got.'

Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear and others are more than capable of making a tire that can more than likely go race distance, or cut stops down to a single tire change. Everything you see in regard to tire degradation can be attributed to the F1 powers that be, in their attempt to make racing more "interesting".

The current rules are stifling. Arbitrary tire rules, silly engine rules/changes, KERS, the list goes on. I would love a return to a simpler time, and a much thinner rule book. 3L NA any piston config, 1.2L turbo (unlimited), no component life rules, all powertrain manufacturers must be able to supply required engines (identical spec) to at least 3 other teams for a fixed cost as mandated by F1 (that's my concession to the rule makers) and an effort to contain powertrain costs. No team would be supplied by special tires (a la Ferrari years ago). All qualifying/race tires come from a common supply. There are holes in the above, but at least it lets the creative be MORE creative.

Congrats to Vettel and Red Bull. Conrats to Adrian Newey.

Pirelli were asked to further 'spice up' the show with one more pit stop compared to 2012. But to voluntarily bring a tire that can only last two laps* is just suicidal by this inept company...

*Alonso said this week the tire can't even last for more than the first few corners of quali and on top of that is random from set to set...

Originally Posted By: punisher
The current rules are stifling.

Their certainly could stand to be some changes, but I would draw the line when it comes to safety. Niki Lauda did an interview some time back where he mentioned how in his day, one or two drivers would be expected to be killed each season. Now, it's been over 20 years.

But, the tires, I think, are driving everyone nuts. Last year was better in that regard, I think. This past weekend, while not marred with the failures we saw at Silverstone, was an embarrassment. Obviously, the softer compound is expected to last a statistically significant shorter distance than a harder compound. We get that. But, two laps (okay maybe a tiny bit more at the limit) compared to over half the race? That really reduces strategic choice. It's a no brainer that you'll never gain sufficient time on the softer compound to justify the staggering number of pit stops you'd have to do.

There is a reason that both Mich and Bridgestone both said "goodbye" to F1 and only Pirelli could be induced to play the game.

MHO

IIRC Michelin would like to supply again if they move to 16-17" wheels and make the compounds last longer. The FIA doesn't need small wheels to stipulate a smaller brake size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back